Automatic switch for dust collector

Hello,

I'm looking for a schematic for an automatic switch which you place in series with your router, sander,... As you switch on the equipment it automatically swith on the dust collector or shopvac. I suppose it is based on current transformer,but I want to use few parts to trigger the relay around it (the less the complexity, the more the fiability. If someone can help sending the schematic or giving the link to a web description

Didier

Reply to
d2

It's been done by Sears...(don't know how)

I can't find it on the web site, but they do sell a device(I have two) that does what you want.

d2 wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

fiability.

A proper "current relay" will allow you do do that with one component. Bert

Reply to
Bert

look for a book called "The Small Wood Shop" published by fine woodworking. It has an article for building one with Minimal investment.

Reply to
kstone

Yes, that's a current transformer and relay in one box. Define one component.

Reply to
CW

Sears offers a Craftsman Auto Switch, item#00924031000, for $19.99. I have one connected to my DC and RAS. The unit has two switched outlets.

Al

Reply to
ahoffmann

Do you know the amp ratings for each outlet? There is no info about that at the Sears.com site. Also, it shows 1 "power tool" and 2 "accessory" outlets. Seems like it should be the other way around. TIA. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

You might consider approaching this from another angle: a wireless remote. I got one for my dust collector that came with one receiver and two transmitters. I've got one hanging on a hook by the light switches; the other velcroed to my table saw. I turn on the DC, then the tool. It may be manual but it's light years beyond having to bend over and hit the DC's switch.

I paid about $45 for it at Klingspor's. Woodcraft sells them; probably several others.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Does anyone know of a similar auto switch to the Craftsman available here in the UK?

Malcolm Webb

Reply to
Malcolm Webb

The unit is rated at 15 amps. Enough for my set-up. I have the RAS plugged into the power outlet and the DC into one of the accessory outlets.

Al

Reply to
ahoffmann

Is the 15 amp rating total current, that is combined draw for both the item plugged into "power" outlet plus the draw of each item on the "accessory" outlets?

Nova

Something along this line is what I use:

Bert

Reply to
Bert