AutoCad Question

Page 1 of 2

Someone has given me a copy of AutoCad LT 2000. I am looking for a manual for this software but only see books for AutoCad 2000. Does anyone know is AutoCad LT 2000 a different product from AutoCad 2000? If so are the differences significant?

I do not know specifically for 2000, but for the 2006 versions, "..main differences are that LT does not support all the 3D function of AutoCAD2006, nor does it support the customization tools of AutoLISP and VBA." (Quoting from a book by George Omura.) There are also minor adjustments in how certain aspects of the program are used.

It's not freeware. It comes with a manual?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=%22autocad+lt+2000+book%22

The biggest difference is that LT does not do perspective 3D. It does do isometric, not to be confused with perspective 3D. Go to your local book store or library as there are many books written on AutoCAD and LT. If you already know how to draw you may not need a manual at all. I seldom referenced the manual.

I am making the assumption that someone is giving you a program they no longer use. When they bought it, it came in a shrink wrapped box with a manual. Since they gave you their original disks (they did, right?) go back and get the printed manual they no longer have any use for.
Autocad LT is a subset of Autocad. Most features related to making 2D drawings are there, but most or all advanced functionality is not. That's pretty much it in a nutshell. I use the full version of Autocad, I have no personal experience with it beyond seeing a few boxes of it around here.
Technically, the origianal owner has a license to use the software and doesn't own it. If they registered it after May 1999, then it is illegal for them to give you the disks.

I suppose about the time the price of the software went up a lot.
I did not mean to use the word copy. What I was given was the original CDs. A friend went out of business and no longer had any use for the product. Being a beginner with CAD and because the price was right. I thought I would give it a try and see if I can learn it. I do woodworking as a hobby in my retirement. Nothing is for sale. I thought it may be interesting to use CAD to draw the boxes and what nots that I make. It help keeps the brain cells spinning and hopefully avoid that dreaded AZ. My shop is in the garage and I have thought about putting a sign over the door saying "The Therapy Room". Now I may have to call the computer "The Therapy Machine". Anyhow, Thanks to one and all for your helpful responses and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to one and all.
mike wrote:

I wasn't trying to imply anything. I'm just letting people know that according to AutoCAD, you don't own the software that you buy. You are simply buying a license to use it and they're being nice enought to give you a disk which they own in perpetuity. It's against their terms of service (and thus the law) to sell or give away the disk.
Duke of Burl wrote:

And that is one of the biggest bullshit ideas perpetrated by copyright laws. As a writer, I know the value of copyright, but this licensing horseshit is as close to outright theft as anything gets. I can just image a note in any of my books saying the buyer doesn't own it and can't give it away.
Here's a lesson in the software world... Not because they wrote conditions on a piece of paper and they call it a "license agreement", it means they're legally entitled to enforce those conditions.
If I write on a piece of paper that I will kill you if you don't pay for my services, even if you sign it, it will remain a murder and I will end up in jail regardless the fact I have a contract authorizing me to kill you. When you buy an object, you own the object. Period. You can sell it back if you want as long as you don't keep a copy yourself.
I'm just waiting for the day a software company will come to knock at my door.
No wonder why all the software company are going towards applications delivered on the web. In a near future, you won't need to install anything on your computer, you will just need to "register" through a website to get access to your applications. You will pay a monthly fee based on your usage. This way software will assure themselves of stable revenues and won't fight their own products when it comes to upgrade. Not only that, we will lease applications so software will become a service and not a product anymore.... A big difference legally speaking.
Greg D.

I had taken a graduate class in internet law that dealt with software copyright et al issue. The software companies have extraordinary exclusions for what would otherwise be normal consumer law and the courts, for what ever reason, have given these companies carte blanche to have you by the short and curlies. Software companies sell the license to use their product and not the product itself. The term of the license can be delivered inside a shrink wrapped box with the CD. That is, what you are buying, the terms of the license, do not have to be 'readable' on the outside of the box. If you break the shrink wrap you are bound by the license and, in most cases, breaking the shrink wrap prevents you from being able to return the product for a refund.

You don't work for Autodesk, do you?

thought
I think the bottom line is this:
Companies like Autodesk and Adobe know they're not losing much revenue when people copy Autocad and Photoshop, because chances are those people would never buy the product anyway. People and companies who buy software to use for work are their customers.
--
Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos

My sincerest apologies. Whenever I see the word 'copy' and it relates to software that I paid a whack of money for, I get miffed.
There are some very capable aftermarket books, mike. I see them often for bargain prices on eBay, Amazon etc.
Bull.

A copy? What is the serial number, please?

12
Just kidding.
I'm not the OP. You've got to ask him.
AutoCAD Lite will do all of the 2D stuff you need to do, but it does not support 3D, nor does it have LISP, which is Autodesk's programming language for customizing AutoCAD to do macro type routines for automating certain tasks. Most users can use Lite and never miss the other stuff. The other main difference is the price. Street price of Lite should be around $500, while the full blown AutoCAD is closer to $3,500.
babygrand