AutoCad Question

Someone has given me a copy of AutoCad LT 2000. I am looking for a manual for this software but only see books for AutoCad 2000. Does anyone know is AutoCad LT 2000 a different product from AutoCad

2000? If so are the differences significant?
Reply to
mike

"mike" wrote in news:1133230158.601318.15060 @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I do not know specifically for 2000, but for the 2006 versions, "..main differences are that LT does not support all the 3D function of AutoCAD2006, nor does it support the customization tools of AutoLISP and VBA." (Quoting from a book by George Omura.) There are also minor adjustments in how certain aspects of the program are used.

Reply to
Carlin

It's not freeware. It comes with a manual?

Reply to
Guess who

Duke of Burl

The biggest difference is that LT does not do perspective 3D. It does do isometric, not to be confused with perspective 3D. Go to your local book store or library as there are many books written on AutoCAD and LT. If you already know how to draw you may not need a manual at all. I seldom referenced the manual.

Reply to
Leon

I am making the assumption that someone is giving you a program they no longer use. When they bought it, it came in a shrink wrapped box with a manual. Since they gave you their original disks (they did, right?) go back and get the printed manual they no longer have any use for.

Autocad LT is a subset of Autocad. Most features related to making 2D drawings are there, but most or all advanced functionality is not. That's pretty much it in a nutshell. I use the full version of Autocad, I have no personal experience with it beyond seeing a few boxes of it around here.

Reply to
George Max

Actually LT will import 3D generated by AutoCAD and will do 3D Isometric but not draw perspective 3D.

And surprisingly, LT street price is up to about $7to 8 hundred dollars. I remember upgrading back in the early 90's for $97.

Reply to
Leon

I'm disappointed by that, but not surprised. I imaging a lot of people/companies have decided LT is good enough, why spend the extra $ for features that may be seldom used at their facility.

Reply to
George Max

AutoCAD Lite will do all of the 2D stuff you need to do, but it does not support 3D, nor does it have LISP, which is Autodesk's programming language for customizing AutoCAD to do macro type routines for automating certain tasks. Most users can use Lite and never miss the other stuff. The other main difference is the price. Street price of Lite should be around $500, while the full blown AutoCAD is closer to $3,500.

babygrand

Reply to
babygrand

Technically, the origianal owner has a license to use the software and doesn't own it. If they registered it after May 1999, then it is illegal for them to give you the disks.

Reply to
Duke of Burl

Autodesk changed the price of LT when it started its autodesk subscription service. I think the Subscription service cost between

950.00 to 1100.00 and you get an upgrade to full blown acad with the subscription.

LT now costs 800.00 plus.

I use acad 2006 and have never used any of the new bells and whistles yet, I carry all my lisp routines over that I've ether written or copied over the past 15 years. Menu's and buttons changes? no problem I still use all the same quick commands from version to version.

Reply to
Modat22

A copy? What is the serial number, please?

Reply to
Robatoy

12

Just kidding.

I'm not the OP. You've got to ask him.

Reply to
George Max

I suppose about the time the price of the software went up a lot.

Reply to
George Max

I did not mean to use the word copy. What I was given was the original CDs. A friend went out of business and no longer had any use for the product. Being a beginner with CAD and because the price was right. I thought I would give it a try and see if I can learn it. I do woodworking as a hobby in my retirement. Nothing is for sale. I thought it may be interesting to use CAD to draw the boxes and what nots that I make. It help keeps the brain cells spinning and hopefully avoid that dreaded AZ. My shop is in the garage and I have thought about putting a sign over the door saying "The Therapy Room". Now I may have to call the computer "The Therapy Machine". Anyhow, Thanks to one and all for your helpful responses and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to one and all.

Reply to
mike

I wasn't trying to imply anything. I'm just letting people know that according to AutoCAD, you don't own the software that you buy. You are simply buying a license to use it and they're being nice enought to give you a disk which they own in perpetuity. It's against their terms of service (and thus the law) to sell or give away the disk.

Reply to
Duke of Burl

I use autocad LT 2004 for some stuff.LT is just the basic version of AUTOCAD I use Solidworks for my 3-D stuff. I use SW 2006 when doing sheetmetal stuff and flatten it to cut and bend..........Brian

Reply to
Brian In Hampton

Bull.

Reply to
CW

My sincerest apologies. Whenever I see the word 'copy' and it relates to software that I paid a whack of money for, I get miffed.

There are some very capable aftermarket books, mike. I see them often for bargain prices on eBay, Amazon etc.

Reply to
Robatoy

And that is one of the biggest bullshit ideas perpetrated by copyright laws. As a writer, I know the value of copyright, but this licensing horseshit is as close to outright theft as anything gets. I can just image a note in any of my books saying the buyer doesn't own it and can't give it away.

Reply to
Charlie Self