Auto cleaning wide belt sanders?

Page 2 of 2

For sure... I clean my 2" and 3" H&L sanding disks several times before they're dull or torn, especially when sanding pine of something clogging like that...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
"Leon" wrote:

extent
cleaners
Bought a couple of "erasers", tried one, found it to be a complete waste of time, threw them in the trash.
You can feel the grit with your finger and tell when the edge is gone.
Depending on what I'm doing, can totally destroy a belt or disk in less than 30 minutes.
Lew

Are you actually sanding wood, or epoxy and or fiber glass? That would make a difference is suppose.
"Leon" wrote:

would make

Depends.
If I'm using 16 or 24 grit on either a disk or a belt, then it epoxy is involved either as fiberglass or fairing putty.
Epoxy absolutely destroys abrasives.
I'm lucky to get 30 sq ft sanded with a 9", 16 grit disk, before it is time to change.
A box of 25 disks doesn't last very long.
If I'm using 60 grit and finer, then it is with a ROS and wood.
When I'm working with wood, you can tell when the paper is getting dull by just feeling it.
It may or may not load up but it makes no difference, dull is dull.
Lew

Agreed, cleaning does not sharpen.

Yellow pine creates a big mess in a big hurry. I heard a story once about a guy that had some sort of gun that sprayed dry ice pellets at the belt while it was still going 'round in the machine. Don't remember hearing if it worked or not.
JP

Not automatic, but Highland has this big rubber slab:
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/browseproducts/Abrasive-Drum-Cleaner.h tml
PDX David