Augmented Reality modeling

Been watching this development in 3D modeling for the past year.
Won't be long before you'll be able to sit down at your Sketchup modeled table to test how suitable it is for breakfast ... just a matter of scale:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g4_G6VtCssI
#!
http://www.armedia.it/sketchup_arplugin
Interesting times ... I'm betting Robatoy would have been all over this.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Monday, February 18, 2013 6:07:57 AM UTC-8, Swingman wrote:

Hmmm, your description would be more correct than how they are using "mis-u sing" the term Augmented Reality. In my day job I work in an industry where my products provide content for and interact with true AR systems and I ha ve contact with the top researchers in this field. The common understanding of augmented reality is to add new items into an existing reality.
The typical usage is to put on a pair of glasses or headset of some sort. T hen look around, walk around the room you are in and see new items augmente d into the scene. So your table example is perfect. You should be able to l ook down and see the table in the room. Walk around it, etc.
What they are showing is more like a hologram or 3D heads up display or som ething.
On 2/20/2013 11:37 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

> The common understanding of augmented reality is to add new items > into an existing reality.
Hmmm, my desk (existing reality) suddenly has a virtual 3D digital model (new item) hovering above it.
Go figure ...
That said, you should take it up with the source if you want to be nitpicking about their terminology:
http://www.armedia.it/technology.php
And Sony seems to agree with them:
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201105/11-058E/index.html
Let us know how far you get ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

reality of the room. The video you shared earlier showed a 3D model of a h ouse sitting on a desktop. Houses don't fit on desktops. If they had a phon e, then maybe. "Augmented reality (AR) is a live, direct or indirect, view of a physical, real-world environment whose elements are augmented by compu ter-generated sensory input such as sound, video, graphics or GPS data." Wi kipedia. No not an unchallenged source but they do have a correct descripti on.
I was just wasting time here and won't be going on any crusade to correct a nyone beyond these comments. I just don't like seeing new technologies term s being co-opted and misrepresented. It's like those HD sunglasses you can buy. Just co-opting the HD concept to sell some crappy yellow sunglasses.

That's your second attempt at a definition ... your first one was wrong, then? :)
So, according to your above, and despite their technology being precisely identical in either case, if AR-Media's example would have been a Care Bear instead of a house, it would have been "AR", but, since they chose the house in that instance to sell their Sketchup plugin, it is no longer the same technology?
Wow ... are technologist really that nitpicking these days?

Happy horse shit, is happy horse shit ... and nitpicking and conflicting definitions, instead of "correcting" anyone, looks more like someone doesn't really understand it themselves?
Hey, don't mind me ... I'm just "wasting time here" too. :)
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Whoa is me. Why doesn't the world instantly recognize my brilliance?
The underlying technology is 3D display. One implementation is AR. This imp lementation is a classic case of a technology Vertical Integration. In this integration a Horizontal technology (3D display in this case) is integrate d into various vertical markets or needs. In this case 3D display can be us ed to Augment Reality. It can also be used to spin a sketchup model in a ra ndom location. Spinning a reduced sized 3D image of a thing in random space is not AR. Placing a properly scaled and located 3D displayed item into a real world scene is AR.
My next lecture will be on 3D transformations and their 3x3 and 4x4 martix representations.