Audio components and Plasma TV shelving

I will be getting a 50" Plasma TV. Along with that I need a space to hold the center channel speaker, receiver, DVD player, and VHS unit. The TV will be positioned diagonally in a corner. I plan to build something like this as seen from above:

________________ / \ /_________________\

Actually three of these are shelves, and two sides with dadoes made in a Shaker-style. The top shelf should be about 4 feet high. My issue here is the span. The 3/4" ply shelves are 17" deep with a 1.5" solid wood lip on the from and back. The TV weighs about 100 pounds, receiver 30 lbs, VHS 15 lbs, speaker 20 lbs, and DVD player 15 lbs. Since this shelving unit will be holding about 4 grand of equipment, this must be sturdy. The sides will be against the wall, possibly with fasteners (any suggestions for fasteners?)

Reply to
Phisherman

What would be the span of the shelves? Jim

Reply to
Jim

Probably close to 50", or the typical width of a 50" plasma TV plus a couple inches.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
Tim Taylor

on a side note: make sure to leave room around the tv (and amplifier) for ventilation. if you leave a small gap around the perimeter of the tv, make sure to use some 12v brushless fans (behind the tv and amp).

Reply to
kimnach