auction gloat

Page 1 of 2
Got this grizzly unit tonight for $45 at the local monthly consignment auction. I know it's not the best ordeal in the world, but it's better than blowing it on the driveway from the planer.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/1-HP-Dust-Collector/G8027
--
Steve Barker

wow, good deal! Saves a lot of mess. I bought a planer one day, dust collector the next.
On 5/3/2012 10:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Lest everyone forget, the proper response to a gloat is "You suck!" So, to Steve: That is indeed a gloat. You suck!
On 5/4/2012 10:54 AM, Just Wondering wrote:

/elvis voice on : Thank ya, thank ya very much! /elvis voice off
--
Steve Barker
On 5/3/2012 11:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

they practically gave away a couple dewalt planers last night. The two blade model went for $125 and the three blade like i have went for $215. The JET brand dust collector brought $200. I also got a no name tenoning jig for the table saw for $17.50
--
Steve Barker
Thats a good price. Get some 1 micron filters.
On 5/3/2012 11:48 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

On 5/4/2012 8:29 AM, tiredofspam wrote:

yeah i noticed the standard issue for that model was 30 micron. I guess that'll pass a lot of stuff eh?
--
Steve Barker

It'll stop that planer stuff :o)
I forgot to mention, check out Grizzly for one of the trash can separator lids. It is one of the best $30 you will ever spend. In addition to the by-product of keeping hard stuff away from the blower impeller, you will have to empty the bag about 1/10th the amount of times. And bag changing is fiddly.
RonB
On 5/4/2012 6:28 PM, RonB wrote:

Yes, i'll be looking to do a two stage thing eventually. Space a little limited right now though.
--
Steve Barker

Let me second this. I'm surprised how rarely I have to dump the filter bag now. If space is an option, remember you can store metal trash cans outside until needed. Mine sits on top of a cabinet so I don't lose floor space. Quick disconnect fittings and flex lines make hookup simple.
If you're going to use it with your TS or a sander, get the set of 1 micron bags or a cartridge filter as someone else suggested. I have 5 micron bags, and that really is not fine enough to get the hazardous dust. I have a Jet 1 micron filter mounted near the ceiling to help clean up what leaks through the bags or what the DC misses.
Oh, before I forget.. You suck. Congrats on the buy.
On 5/4/2012 11:07 PM, Roy wrote:

:)
--
Steve Barker
On Fri, 04 May 2012 11:54:33 -0500, Steve Barker

Yes, it'll stop everything larger than your fist. <g>
Perhaps you'd like to invest in either a felt bag or a cartridge filter, like an air cleaner on your car/truck.
-- Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life. -- Dr. David M. Burns
There are many aftermarket 1 micron filters available. Both bag and paper like filter (polyester spun I think) material.
Penn State, probably Grizzly for the filter bags. You need to replace top and bottom to stop the fine stuff. I would consider just a contractor plastic bag on the bottom, and a very good 1 micron felt filter for the top.
I would build my own seperator... See Thien separator.
http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm
You can make one similar for 4" hose.
On 5/4/2012 12:54 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

On 5/4/2012 9:29 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

that's pretty cool. I suspect the search for an open topped 55 gal drum is in order now. <G>
--
Steve Barker
On 5/5/2012 8:02 AM, Steve Barker wrote:

Get one you can pick up...
http://www.uline.com/BL_8151/Fiber-Drums?keywords rrel
On 5/4/2012 9:54 AM, Steve Barker wrote:

Not a problem...call these guys.
http://www.americanfabricfilter.com /
On 5/7/2012 10:13 AM, Pat Barber wrote:

thanks for the link!
--
Steve Barker

Major suckitude, dude...

Don't berate you deal before you get a chance to use it. I have had it's 2hp brother for a year or two and I am very happy with it. I have had very good luck with Grizzly products. And yes, it cleans up after a planer very well.
RonB
On 5/3/2012 8:48 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2012/Main/202
Great deal...