Attn: SketchUp users

Page 6 of 6
Dave wrote:

Do you mean like the changes MS has made to their OS over the years in going from version to version? I understand Windows 8 is a real under-whelmer! : )

That depends on how you upgraded if you're a Windows user. I upgrade most every second version. Dos, Windows 3.1, NT4, XP and now Windows 7. To me anyway, they've all been pretty decent versions. I may have just been lucky with my upgrade path, but it's worked out as far as I'm concerned.
On 5/1/2012 9:41 AM, Jack wrote:

What new upgrade?
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

It is seldom the jeans that make her ass look fat... it's usually the ass itself that make the jeans look fat.
On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 19:50:55 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

I saw the cutest bumper sticker on the dock bumper of a truck yesterday. 'Twas a picture of Obama on the left and on the right:
DOES THIS ASS MAKE MY TRUCK LOOK BIG?
-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama
On 4/27/2012 8:11 AM, Swingman wrote:

Sorry, Leon ... accidentally left your quote out.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Well really, does having SketchUp in its product mix, something that can make money for Google?
This is a pure typical business transaction. Google unloads a bunch of programmers to someone else, lightens the load on the books, and goes to do something else. I am sure that Google was losing money on SketchUp, not because of the freebie version, but because it had no way of marketing it. Working with training companies, book publishers, etc. Also trying to compete against other 3D modelers most likely was drain. I don't think they want to play in the 3D modeling world. The excitement is to marry SketchUp to the 3D printers that are now out and soon to be introduced. Nothing like taking a 3D image and tell a machine to make you that thing. Now that would exciting. Trimble might be in a better position to help to make that work.
I do hope that Trimble keeps a free copy around - but - if they charge a minimal fee - like $50 for it, I'd consider it and probably go for it. It's a great tool.
I won't worry too much yet.
MJ
On 4/26/2012 8:50 PM, MJ wrote:

As has been said elsewhere, it's a good bet that Sketchup's budget was a mere rounding error to Google's bottom line.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Maybe Autodesk's entry into the fray with 123D has something to do with it. I have used it for a while on my PC platform and it appears very powerful. Big libraries are being built, not unlike the SUWarehouse. http://usa.autodesk.com/autodesk-123d / The learning curve keeps throwing me curve balls so for anything serious I still do the mac/vectorworks/strata thing which is second nature to me. I was just wondering if the huge Autodesk user base has given 123D some legs, for myself, it scores a great big 'meh'.
Someone who never used a 3D modelling program before and was about to make a decision in which basket to put their eggs, maybe 123D _is_ a factor in the big scheme of things. Who know what the world looks like to the likes of Google and/or Trimble.
The fact that many 3D CAD packages now offer SketchUp plug-in translators, tells me that SU is going to stay around for while.
Do we have an iPad app for SU yet? SU pro? I have been out of the loop for a few months.
r The little bit of 3D I do these days is very basic
On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 02:21:01 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Hey buddy, you haven't been too active here much lately. How's the big fight going?
Best wishes.

Completed chemo. Looks like remission, no we need to verify with a bunch of CTscans, MRI, hose-up-my-arse etc....(I think that is the technical term.) So, it's been good. My social crap gets hung out for those who want on Facebook, so I don't hang here much.
On 4/27/12 10:56 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Hey, I can't find a person with your name on FB, I just looked. I know we hooked up on G+, but I find that to be a wasteland.
--
Froz...

Try Rob (dot nonsense garbage ) Sekeris
On 4/27/12 3:06 PM, Robatoy wrote:

OK, request sent.
--
Froz...

On 4/27/2012 4:21 AM, Robatoy wrote:

The big advantage to SketchUp for the building industry is ease of presentation, and dynamic modeling during the construction phase, both areas of use recently embraced by architects and construction managers.
Just in the past three years every single architect I know, and I know, and meet, quite a few at building seminars, has taken to using SU as to the goto tool for client "show and tell" ... the acceptance level has been amazing.
It is obvious to me that this is what Trimble has their sights on.

Only as viewer, and the best of those is "Cubits", which is very slick. Besides, the viewer concept plays _directly_ to the presentation strength of SU, as mentioned above.
I no longer take a laptop to client meetings, only take my iPad, running "Cubits".
That said, I can't imagine anyone who has ever done any 3D modeling seriously thinking they can actually do any worthwhile modeling with their finger on a current tablet interface/OS ... not something I would consider at this point even if it was remotely possible.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

It's still too new a technology, but it will catch up. I'd say give it two years and it meet your wish list.