Attn: SketchUp users

Page 5 of 6
Robatoy wrote:

Oh no! An Apple!!! : )

Well, at least it wasn't a baby's arm holding an apple.
-- You never hear anyone say, 'Yeah, but it's a dry cold.' -- Charles A. Budreau
On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 16:54:39 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

I'd have thought it would be Erdinger.

I like Erdinger on draught, although lately I have been on a Guinness kick. The Chimay was a suggestion somebody made in here (RonB?). Nice, but a bit rich for me, and not just price-wise. So back to either Keith's or Grolsch for a daily driver and Erdinger or Guinness on draught when out.

That would have been me. The Chimay's have actually come down in the US a bit. Now they're only slightly outrageous.

I'm having a Dark Truth Stout at the moment. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/423/56469
Nice command bridge setup. A Captain Kirk chair replica using solid surface materials and maybe some interior lighting would be a nice complement. With built in beer dispenser. It's in the details. ;)
On 4/28/2012 9:28 AM, Larry wrote:

Actually it is. You just have to know how to do it. You simply make the Sketchup window smaller to cut out all the extra white space.

And I am using the free version too.

It's interesting that you picked $50 as your threshold, Bill. The education version of SketchUp Pro costs $49. They ask for an .edu email address, but they'll send all the registration info to a second email address as well. If you're not using SketchUp commercially it's a white lie - akin to telling a woman that the jeans she's wearing don't make her ass look huge. ;)
On 4/30/2012 3:00 PM, RicodJour wrote:

The educational version is good for "1" year.

This is true. Think of it as an installment plan while's he mulling over the purchase.
On 4/30/2012 4:45 PM, RicodJour wrote:

You can think of it that way but I doubt the software company would think of it that way. He would certainly have to pay the full price in addition to what he had already spent.
Basically an installment plan is not mentioned as an offer. He pays full price plus the educational price should he decide to go legit.

Actually, since such a "white lie" would deprive the vendor of honest revenue, it's more like telling the clerk at the grocery store you've got black pepper in the spice bag, when instead you have saffron threads.
In other words, you have advocated theft.
scott
On Apr 30, 5:10 pm, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

It's more of a reclassification. Your average home woodworker using one or two "advanced features" once in a while is not the same as someone who is running a business off of it. In a rational world all licenses would be on a per use basis or sliding scale. It's just too cumbersome to do that - for now.
The .edu email address requirement is clearly absurd. How someone enrolled in a hairdressing school or studying to be a chiropodist is more deserving of a break on the price of a 3D modeling program than a garage/basement (guessing) woodworker not using it for profit, I do not know. You seem to - please explain.
RicodJour wrote:

Ut-oh, R. I'm not so sure you're going to come of out this unscathed, and that's with a capital C which stands for chiropodist and for capitalism.

That's your opinion. However, the guiding law for setting a selling price is that the seller and purchaser must agree on terms. If they don't (or can't) agree on terms, and one side misrepresents itself to take advantage a promotion that the seller never intended that the buyer be eligible for, then the buyer defrauded the seller.

It's pretty simple - most software that can be used professionally is often offered to students at a discount for two reasons:
1) Students, usually on a limited budget (more now than ever) can't afford full price 2) Students, having learned the software in question, will often pull that software into a subsequent employer, at commercial rates.
A win for both the student and the company selling the software.
And your strawman argument about hairdressors and chiropodists is completely bogus, as they're not the target market for the software in the first place and would have no interest in it (I can just see hairstyling 3d frame models :-).
scott
(and if you really want free CAD software, take a look at qcad (linux only, tho)).
On Apr 30, 5:10pm, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

I use my software professionally. I pay for it, but never do I pay for software which hasn't been tested and tried thoroughly. Plenty of companies have no problem allowing trial software, and in many cases, fully featured. What I DO object to, is when I find myself competing for work with an asshole who has not paid for his software. In one particular case, that anger resulted into an actual visit to the the perp's office. The issue was resolved. (He had also used MY drawings and designs to prepare a quote.)
RicodJour wrote:

My choice of $50 for a threshold above was more for illustration. My real threshold is probably slightly higher than $50 but we don't need to encourage them, do we? : ) Thank you for the info about the academic version. So far, I'm quite happy with the free version of SU.
Bill
On 4/30/2012 5:47 PM, Bill wrote:
So far, I'm quite happy with the free version of SU.
Same. In fact, I was reluctant to upgrade from version 7 to version 8, having experienced freeware getting worse with upgrades. Happily, version 8 seems to work just the same as version 7, which is more or less perfect for the needs of 99% of those haunting this rec. I don't think I'm going to chance the current upgrade, and now that it has new owners, I'm even more skeptical of upgrading for no real reason.
--
Jack
Jack wrote:

I don't

Good thinking!
I used to think Google could make a few bucks if they charged $.50 per item to download from the SU Warehouse. And, probably hardly anyone would mind paying that. And anyone is who does would still be free to build the item his or herself! : )

Maybe so, but I'd expect the new owners (naturally assuming this purchase is prompted by a desire for profit), would try to add some new capabilities or options to SU to fuel purchases. Those supposed changes may even be beneficial.