Attn: SketchUp users

I read it. I'd rather try the "gridline approach". I don't expect my printer picks up sheets with as much precision as SU draws gridlines.

Reply to
Bill

Actually it is. You just have to know how to do it. You simply make the Sketchup window smaller to cut out all the extra white space.

And I am using the free version too.

Reply to
Leon

If you reshape the size of your Sketchup window you also cut down on the extra pages needed. Just be sure to save you tool locations so that you can restore them after going back to the normal orientation that you use.

Reply to
Leon

floor mini den/office from where I read my news, watch my news, do the FB thing and do some rough sketching. This way I am not secluded in the downstairs office, but part of the family's goings on, something I changed after I ran into this mortality bit. Another important bit: Relaxation whilst working.
yes, sometimes you need an overview of the bigger picture. Then flip to monitor # 3. LOL

Also, notice that I remained out of the fray during this thread, because, shit, man, some things just aren't as important as they used to be.

Reply to
Robatoy

Mattias Wandel has a BigPrint program at

"BigPrint makes it easy to make multi-page scale-accurate printouts comprised of individual sheets printed on ordinary ink jet or laser printers."

Reply to
Peter Bennett

> And yes, sometimes you need an overview of the bigger picture. Then

Oh no! An Apple!!! : )

Reply to
Bill

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 16:54:39 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

'd have thought it would be Erdinger.

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
Robatoy

I like Erdinger on draught, although lately I have been on a Guinness kick. The Chimay was a suggestion somebody made in here (RonB?). Nice, but a bit rich for me, and not just price-wise. So back to either Keith's or Grolsch for a daily driver and Erdinger or Guinness on draught when out.

Reply to
Robatoy

>>> And yes, sometimes you need an overview of the bigger picture. Then

Well, at least it wasn't a baby's arm holding an apple.

-- You never hear anyone say, 'Yeah, but it's a dry cold.' -- Charles A. Budreau

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks for that link! Matthias Wandel is slightly richer this morning.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news:A8ydnYtH34rh snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Please let us know how it works. The "eval copy" prevents me from evaluating it.

Thanks Larry

Reply to
Larry

Seems to work great so far, there is a provision under print settings that allow you to calibrate the accuracy of the printed out put. I had to adjust the height output -.05% and that setting seems to "stick", it has remained 99.95% every time I have run the program.

Very intuitive and easy to make do what you want it to do.

Does not install so you can simply put the single program file where ever you like.

I like the fact that it will work on photographs too.

Plus you can crop so that you print only what you want to print with out having to jump through hoops.

You can display and print a grid, horizontal and vertical or a diagonal grid, and yu set the grid size. IMHO the diagonal grid works well for aligning the separate sheets of paper.

If you can part with $22 and you only use it one time you are probably ahead of the game.

Reply to
Leon

Woodgears has saved my bacon on a couple of occasions.

Reply to
Robatoy

I just tried out the EVAL Copy. It's a great example of what you can do with 117 KILOBYTES! Ya hear that all ya young-uns that treat gigabytes like they grow on trees! : ) The new owner of SU might be smart to toss a few shekles towards Matthias Wandel. And by the way, yes, I actually have actually carried shekles in my wallet in real life. Fortunately for me, many of the locals speak 2 or 3 languages. Nice trip, if anyone wants to send you.

12-hr flight.. :O !
Reply to
Bill

Boy, do I ever miss the days of tightly coded programs written in C! The resources required by applications these days is just ridiculous. I remember programming in the early days of Apple IIs and PCs where we were strapped with the 16-bit architectures, and writing (mostly) in assembler was the only real way to get lickety-split performance without taxing the resources of the machine. When we finally made it to 32-bit architectures I thought we were home free! Finally we can write code in C and never have to worry again about running out of addressing space! (The infamous "640K ought to be enough for anybody" quote comes to mind here). But no sooner did we gain this new-found freedom than along comes Java and XML and a whole host of other technologies I don't even care to understand, and before you know it here we are, bumping up against the 4GB limit of the 32-bit address space, and making the move to

64-bit machines with ridiculous amounts of memory just so we can perform tasks no more taxing than browsing the web and listening to music at the same time. Don't get me started. :-)

But back to your original point of how little space it actually takes to perform a task with a tightly coded program. If you dabble at all in file transfers using the BitTorrent protocol, might I suggest having a look at uTorrent

It installs as a single uTorrent.exe file that takes less 900KB, yet it packs an amazing amount of functionality into a relatively small amount of space (by today's standards). It's very well written and well-behaved, and a very rare example of how (I think) programs OUGHT to be written. Heck, even if you have no interest in using it, it's worth a look just to install it and bounce around in it for a while to admire its capabilities before sending it to the bit bucket.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Reply to
tiredofspam

It's interesting that you picked $50 as your threshold, Bill. The education version of SketchUp Pro costs $49. They ask for an .edu email address, but they'll send all the registration info to a second email address as well. If you're not using SketchUp commercially it's a white lie - akin to telling a woman that the jeans she's wearing don't make her ass look huge. ;)

RicodJour

The educational version is good for "1" year.

Reply to
Leon

Actually, since such a "white lie" would deprive the vendor of honest revenue, it's more like telling the clerk at the grocery store you've got black pepper in the spice bag, when instead you have saffron threads.

In other words, you have advocated theft.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal