Attn: SketchUp users

Page 4 of 6
On 4/28/12 3:13 PM, Swingman wrote:

If so, check out the printer dialog box in AcrobatX even the reader version, under Poster it defaults to a .005" overlap, increase that to an inch or so.
--
Froz...

Swingman wrote:

I read it. I'd rather try the "gridline approach". I don't expect my printer picks up sheets with as much precision as SU draws gridlines.

Mattias Wandel has a BigPrint program at http://woodgears.ca/bigprint /
"BigPrint makes it easy to make multi-page scale-accurate printouts comprised of individual sheets printed on ordinary ink jet or laser printers."
--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb (at) telus.net
On 4/28/2012 7:37 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

Thanks for that link! Matthias Wandel is slightly richer this morning.

Please let us know how it works. The "eval copy" prevents me from evaluating it.
Thanks Larry
On 4/29/2012 11:36 AM, Larry wrote:

Seems to work great so far, there is a provision under print settings that allow you to calibrate the accuracy of the printed out put. I had to adjust the height output -.05% and that setting seems to "stick", it has remained 99.95% every time I have run the program.
Very intuitive and easy to make do what you want it to do.
Does not install so you can simply put the single program file where ever you like.
I like the fact that it will work on photographs too.
Plus you can crop so that you print only what you want to print with out having to jump through hoops.
You can display and print a grid, horizontal and vertical or a diagonal grid, and yu set the grid size. IMHO the diagonal grid works well for aligning the separate sheets of paper.
If you can part with $22 and you only use it one time you are probably ahead of the game.
Larry wrote:

I just tried out the EVAL Copy. It's a great example of what you can do with 117 KILOBYTES! Ya hear that all ya young-uns that treat gigabytes like they grow on trees! : ) The new owner of SU might be smart to toss a few shekles towards Matthias Wandel. And by the way, yes, I actually have actually carried shekles in my wallet in real life. Fortunately for me, many of the locals speak 2 or 3 languages. Nice trip, if anyone wants to send you. 12-hr flight.. :O !
On 4/29/2012 5:17 PM, Bill wrote:

Boy, do I ever miss the days of tightly coded programs written in C! The resources required by applications these days is just ridiculous. I remember programming in the early days of Apple IIs and PCs where we were strapped with the 16-bit architectures, and writing (mostly) in assembler was the only real way to get lickety-split performance without taxing the resources of the machine. When we finally made it to 32-bit architectures I thought we were home free! Finally we can write code in C and never have to worry again about running out of addressing space! (The infamous "640K ought to be enough for anybody" quote comes to mind here). But no sooner did we gain this new-found freedom than along comes Java and XML and a whole host of other technologies I don't even care to understand, and before you know it here we are, bumping up against the 4GB limit of the 32-bit address space, and making the move to 64-bit machines with ridiculous amounts of memory just so we can perform tasks no more taxing than browsing the web and listening to music at the same time. Don't get me started. :-)
But back to your original point of how little space it actually takes to perform a task with a tightly coded program. If you dabble at all in file transfers using the BitTorrent protocol, might I suggest having a look at uTorrent (http://www.utorrent.com )? It installs as a single uTorrent.exe file that takes less 900KB, yet it packs an amazing amount of functionality into a relatively small amount of space (by today's standards). It's very well written and well-behaved, and a very rare example of how (I think) programs OUGHT to be written. Heck, even if you have no interest in using it, it's worth a look just to install it and bounce around in it for a while to admire its capabilities before sending it to the bit bucket.
--
Repeat after me:
"I am we Todd it. I am sofa king we Todd it."

Woodgears has saved my bacon on a couple of occasions.
He's a bright guy. Makes nice stuff..
On 4/29/2012 11:42 AM, Leon wrote:

On 4/28/12 1:18 PM, Bill wrote:

There you go, try it and see what happens, print a couple sheets of graph paper, then feed them back through the printer for SketchUp.
Let us know if it helps.
--
Froz...

On 4/28/2012 12:36 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

Yeah ... that would probably also take out any peculiarities/errors in printing of that particular printer out of the equation.
Excellent suggestion ... would like to know if it works!
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 4/28/12 1:43 PM, Swingman wrote:

of people here used it. I have done similar things before with other programs when it was going to lead to a paste up of a few sheets.
Helpful hint #1, put a pencil/pen tick at the lead edge of the sheets, so they go back through the same way, often top and bottom margins on printers can be different.
--
Froz...

You're absolutely wrong but you already have you're mind made up and I'm not going to change it. I can do in AutoCad in a couple of minutes what would take hours to get done in the free version of SketchUp. Printing is much more flexible in a real CAD program vs. SketchUp.
The original discussion centered around "glueing" pieces together to have a full scale print. With _precise_ control of printing this is easy. Add some crosshairs to the drawing to use for lining things up, print to scale overlapping enough to use the crosshairs, cut the margins off, glue together and you have a full scale 1:1 drawing.
When printing a simple 4"x4" square in SketchUp, on my printer it comes out on paper as 4" x 3 15/16" with no way to compensate. Ergo, I can't print 1:1. Irrefutable. I can't select an object to print without it being the only thing in the visible screen. I don't need to print the screen, I need to print the object. Just a couple of things with plenty of room for improvment.
That said, I'm not complaining, it's a valuable tool as is and we're lucky to have a free version. When trying to visualize projects it's the first thing I use.
Larry
On 4/28/2012 10:41 AM, Larry wrote:

Not true ... as soon as you provide solid evidence that the statement:
On 4/27/2012 8:11 AM, Swingman wrote: > You simply can't blame the accuracy of multi page templates printed > on a personal printer on ANY software.
... is wrong, I'll swiftly retract any portion that is proven wrong. :)
I can do in AutoCad in a

SketchUP is not technically a CAD program, and does not pretend to be. It is instead "3D modeling software" ... there is a big difference in the architectural concept under the hood, and elsewhere.

Still, a workaround (adding artifacts that are not germane to the drawing), just like there are workarounds in SketchUP printing, as you've noted, and with which I agree.

Once again, the "accuracy" problem the OP complained about is inherent in assembling a drawing with any 1:1 scale drawing that spans multiple pages, and is one that is irrespective of the software, and unless you have a printer that does not use margins and will print to the edges, as his clearly does (use margins), there is nothing you can do to fix it as a feature, except use a workaround ... a concept that I have no argument with.

No argument there ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

You're going to tell me simply adding a selectable print window wouldn't make things easier? Neither of us care about the whitespace of the drawing, only what we've added.

Convince me that being able to compensate for printer scaling won't help.

Which is the reason I'm not complaining. The only bitch I've got is they removed the ability to export to a *.dwg from the free version.
The simple fact is that MANY people have problems printing to scale regardless of whether or not the drawing spans pages and a simple Google search will confirm that. You'll never make software stupid proof but there is definitely room for improvement in the printing functionality of SketchUp.
I'm done...
Larry
On 4/28/2012 11:37 AM, Larry wrote:

IOW, by leaving my statement completely out of your reply, you can't disprove it, but you can ignore it and change the subject?
Nice try ... :)

Was never a point of contention, and I clearly stated that repeatedly.

And without making a shred of evidence proving what you flatly stated was "erroneous", of course you are ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

No, I had no problems with the accuracy of the units (inches). The problem is that a 1:1 drawing wants to print accross 4 pages with the sketch in the middle. By a certain amound of "screwing around" (including, but not limited to, moving my drawing to the origin (0,0,0)), I was able to get better results.
On 4/28/2012 12:15 PM, Bill wrote:

If you reshape the size of your Sketchup window you also cut down on the extra pages needed. Just be sure to save you tool locations so that you can restore them after going back to the normal orientation that you use.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/ThinkTanked.jpg Main floor mini den/office from where I read my news, watch my news, do the FB thing and do some rough sketching. This way I am not secluded in the downstairs office, but part of the family's goings on, something I changed after I ran into this mortality bit. Another important bit: Relaxation whilst working.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/Amoment.jpg
And yes, sometimes you need an overview of the bigger picture. Then flip to monitor # 3. LOL
Also, notice that I remained out of the fray during this thread, because, shit, man, some things just aren't as important as they used to be.