ATTN: Larry C in Auburn, WA:

Larry, I am interested in this class you speak of...I'm also in Auburn, Wa.

Can you let me know where this course is or how I can get additional info?

Thanks!

Fred

fdawg at comcast dot net

take a woodworking shop class (10 weeks for 3 hours/week). I haven't taken > it, but basically you just show up and use the High School shop equipment. > I think it only cost's $60 so that works out to $2/hr. Rather than paying > $60 to a cabinet shop to sand your one item you could sand your item plus > have another 29 hours, 50 minutes left for other tasks. > -- > Larry C in Auburn, WA
Reply to
FDawg

Fred, check either Highline Community College or Green River CC. I actually live closer to Federal Way so I know more about what Highline offers, but I bet Green River CC offers the same. Highline offers a woodworking "class" each quarter. As I said in my earlier post I don't think they actually teach a class, it's just open shop time. Still it seems reasonably priced. I see I was wrong in my earlier post about the cost, it's actually $99 per quarter. Still, for 30 hours of shop time it's not a bad deal if you need use of a tool(s) they have that you don't have. The Highline CC class is actually at Highline High School.

Here is a link to the Highline CC catalog:

Look at page 11 for class 9673Q. The description of the class is "Open workshop for individual projects. New students must attend first class for safety lesson." The next class starts Jan 6 and runs for 10 weeks from 7PM-10PM for a total of

30 hours.

Hope that helps!

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

Thanks for the reply, LArry -you rock! I was hoping to find actual classes around here, since I don't even know how to use a hand plane.

I've been teaching myself how to build things for almost 2 years now and have a shop I've put together full of nice power tools ...however, i feel as though i'm cheating since i don't even know how to use basic handtools.

I'll check out the catalog.

Thanks again!

Reply to
FDawg

For local classes you can usually find those at a woodworking store. I should know this, but I can't remember what any of the stores are called. However, there's a wood store at Southcenter (on the North side of the mall). They're pretty small so they might not offer classes. There's a store in Georgetown (just North of Boeing field) that offers classes. The other store I know of and the one closet for you is in Sumner. I'm pretty sure they offer classes.

You might also want to attend the Evergreen Woodworkers Guild meetings where you can meet other woodworkers and see demos. Here's a link to their site

I wish I could find the time to attend, but it just doesn't work out for me.

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

Rockler Woodworking is the Tukwilla store -they do various demos on weekends. I'll look in to that club -thanks so muchfor your help!!!

Reply to
FDawg

Here's the one you want:

It's the one in Sumner I couldn't think of. The classes might be a little pricey, but you end up with something cool at the end and you spend quite a bit of time in the classroom plus they limit the sizes of the classes to six it looks like so you should get good instruction. I haven't taken any of these, but you got me thinking about classes and maybe I'll have to ask for one for Christmas. There are lots of classes to choose from and they all teach a skill by building something.

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

Roger Goad (owner of the school) is an extremely skilled woodworker and excellent teacher with a never ending sense of humor. I'd highly recommend you pop down there and have a chat with him to see if what he offers fits your needs. One of his courses is building a hand plane and part of it is learning all about planes, how to use them and how to tune them. While in Sumner, make sure you pop into the Sumner Woodworkers store (head up main street and turn left just before the railroad tracks on Cherry St.). It's truly one of the best woodworkers store I've ever seen and if things are still the same, yes, those cookies are free and fresh! Sumner WW store does (did?) offer Saturday classes that have always been extremely well attended... and, as Larry indicated, the Evergreen Woodworkers Guild offers a whole lot including a 10% discount on material purchased at a number of locations (Rockler Tukwila included) and a mentor program that gets you into many other shops and learning the skills of many other avid woodworkers. They meet in Edgewood once a month and (highly ) encourage drop-ins... Again, a test drive would be well worth your while and all (I do mean all) skill levels are welcome.

Good luck Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

awesome!