ATTN: Bill - Woodworking bench

I put some pix up on a.b.pictures.woodworking of the bench I just did. So far, it works for me. Remember that other's ideas are like a recipe - they give a place to start. After that, it's your taste. :)

-J

Reply to
Joe

Joe they give a place to start. After that, it's your

Your bench looks great Joe! Your design obviously makes good use of space--obviously a valuable commodity, and the top looks like a very nice and stable surface to work on. I am sorry to hear that your fingers got hurt in the process : (

I am going to go back and look at some of your pictures again (for instance to try to see how you used your carriage bolts).

Thank you for sharing. If you have a picture or two of home furniture you have made, I would enjoy seeing that sometime if you get a chance.

I'll post a picture of my work table when it's done (I had to backtrack due to "risk of tipping"). It doesn't have as many features as yours, but maybe I can add storage features, like drawers, later.

Cheers, Bill (in IN)

Reply to
Bill

Joe,

Over at alt.b "I will be making some Tees to mount 3 vises, the belt sander, and who knows what else on that can just drop into the bench vise when needed."

What you described sounds like a "handy notion". Can you describe these "Tees" to me (maybe I'm the only one who doesn't know what a Tee is)?

Thank you, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Joe, Over at alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking, you wrote: "I will be making some Tees to mount 3 vises, the belt sander, and who knows what else on that can just drop into the bench vise when needed." What you described sounds like a "handy notion". Can you describe these "Tees" to me (maybe I'm the only one who doesn't know what a Tee is)? Thank you, Bill Sure Bill. I got the idea from a Woodsmith shop video and posted it for you on 5/4. You must have missed it. I will repost the picture, ATTN: you. Hoooooo, boy. Say you want a vise to use for the occasional metal project, but don't need it often enough to dedicate bench space to it. Mount it on a small 'platform' that has a vertical piece of plywood attached underneath (why I call it a 'T') sized to fit into your vise (remember the screw and rails underneath). Keep it stored wherever until you need it, then open your woodworking vise a couple of turns, drop it in and there's a stable metal vise. Same with a belt sander. Most have a couple of unexplained notches on the handle. Make your T, add a couple of bolts or screws to fit the notches, stick it in the vise, and lock down the trigger. It can also be done vertically. You can add a couple of blocks or triangles underneath for support if you want. >1/2" ply works - the thicker the less tippy it is, but don't go overboard. The idea is stable, but quick and cheap. My scroll saw and grinder are both done with the same thought - stable when using them, but I can take them off the bench when I need the room. They're just bolted onto scrap ply pieces (as of today !!). They be clamped to the bench, but with a piece of carpet padding underneath, they don't move at all. That's one reason I wanted two shelves under the bench, even though some stuff will live on the bench, I've got a place for it when I need to.

-J

Reply to
Joe