*** Attention Left Handers ***

Page 2 of 3

On Thu, 19 May 2005 09:46:29 -0700, mac davis

I write and throw only right, but I'm equally strong on both sides. I've been told that I'm left-footed and I'm DEFINITELY left-eyed.
Makes shooting awkward, but it pleases my karate sensei to no end when she sees me being equally . .well . . . equally clumsy at this point,

A agree and I've bought a lot of left handed tools. It cost almost double, but the lefthanded screwdriver is a dream to use. Same with the lefthanded hammer and adjustable wrench (both metric and imperial sizes).
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Does your screw driver have reverse rotation? I heard that was really dangerous.
Pounds on Wood wrote:

I think it's more confusing than dangerous. I've got some left handed froes though, now THOSE are dangerous.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

ROTF
I don't know if you were joking about the left handed adjustable wrench or not but there is such a thing. Got ahold of one once. Never could get used to it.

of course, all you righties have us to thank for the left-tilt saw. And you're welcome.
jc

I was joking. What is different about it?
Righties don't realize the subtle differences. Take a close look at a measuring cup that has a spout on it. Try reading the gradiation in your left hand. My mother is also a lefty and always complains that the spouts on ladles are on the wrong side, causing quite a mess.
I got my finger caught in a gas powered hedge trimmer because it was designed for a righty (an extra handle along the blade shaft for guiding the tool).
Fortunately for me, my right hand is still the strongest, but I write and eat left. Makes it great for driving screw into tight places as I can easily use either hand.
Woodchuck34 wrote:

Ayup. I'm AC/DC myself. Makes life easier. ;-)     jo4hn

And popular at parties..*G*
the tape measure and primus plane just got added to my fathers day wish list. Prolly be getting the tape measure... ;-)
jc

Shameless promotion!!!
Congratulations. *G*

Some of us buy measuring cups with labels on _both_ sides for exactly that reason. <grin>

She isn't shopping in the right places, either. Ladles are available that pour from _both_ sides. solves -that- problem quite handily.
Oh, BTW, I really *do* have a _left-handed_monkey_wrench_ in my tools. Belonged to my grandfather -- maintenance engineer at a large mining operation in N. Idaho. He may have made it himself, in the shop. The reverse thread on the adjustment drives anybody else trying to use it absolutely *batty*. It's amazing how few requests I get to borrow tools, after people experience _that_ one. <grin>
Woodchuck34 wrote:

Hey, on a positive note, this lefty is learning SI units; all the wife's measuring cups are labeled so that I see ml instead of oz.
-j

this lefty has never had that problem, probably because I was taught to put the cup down on a level surface before adding whatever you're measuring.. lol
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

The adjusting screw turns the opposite direction, so that, to tighten or loosen it, you make the same motion with your left thumb that you would make with your right thumb on a standard adjustable wrench.
Different thread. When holding a standard adjustable wrench in the right hand, roll the adjustment wheel forward and the wrench tightens. With a left hand wrench, hold it in your left hand, roll the wheel forward and it tightens. Really hard to get used to if your right handed. Probably hard for a lefty to get used to too as he would likely be used to the right hand model.

ALL of my chisels are left handed models. Cost me a small fortune to have them custom made that way too.
But well worth it in my humble opinion.
jc