Attaching sheves to drywall

I just purchased a house that has a garage completely empty...not a shelf or bench in site...(unlike my last home)...Im headed for some woodworking...my main project will be putting some shelves up....the garage is completely drywall..so Im curious how to attach the wooden 2x4's to the drywall so the shevles will be secure and steady?....thanks from a new woodworker in training.
In article
snipped-for-privacy@coastalnow.net says...

It's not clear what style of shelving you have in mind, but if your intent is to run the 2x4s horizontally, then 1/4 x 3 1/2" lag bolts and washers will hold them to the studs nicely. Pre drill the shelving wood to 5/16 and pilot drill the studs to 3/32. Run the lags in with a drill, snug with a socket wrench.
Do Not, by the way, attach your shelving to just the sheet rock.
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
Mr.Breeze wrote:

Get a stud finder and locate the wood or steel studs behind the drywall, and fasten your shelf supports to those. Don't count on drywall to hold any load heavier than a picture. Heck, don't even _count_ on it to hold that--if the picture's valuable either put it over a stud or run a board between two studs behind it.
--
--John
On 15 Aug 2004 17:19:43 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@coastalnow.net (Mr.Breeze) wrote:

Assuming you're in the USA, that drywall is almost certainly attached to vertical 2x4 wood studs on 16" or possibly 24" centers.
Buy a studfinder for $10 and mark the locations of the studs on the areas where you want your shelves.
Screw your shelf supports to those with lag bolts. Be sure to drill correct pilot holes in the supports for the screws you're using.
HTH Mike Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."
Mr.Breeze wrote:

Um, same way you do INSIDE. To studs.
But consider cabinetry as your first project.
    Greetings and Salutations.
On 15 Aug 2004 17:19:43 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@coastalnow.net (Mr.Breeze) wrote:

    Well, unless life has gotten really strange, there SHOULD be 2x studs behind the drywall. Find where the drywall is screwed to the studs and put YOUR lag bolts on the same line.     Regards     Dave Mundt
On 15 Aug 2004 17:19:43 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@coastalnow.net (Mr.Breeze) wrote:

         You do not attach shelves to drywall. At least not shelves you want to put anything on. Drywall is nothing more than power and paper.
    You attach shelves through drywall to the studs. Three-inch screws do this well.
                Peter
On 15 Aug 2004 17:19:43 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@coastalnow.net (Mr.Breeze) calmly ranted:

Get a stud finder. Find and mark the studs. Attach your standards/brackets there.
-------------------------------------------------------------------- The more we gripe, * http://www.diversify.com/stees.html the longer God makes us live. * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts

If it's like the typical garage drywall installation, he won't need a stud finder. Either the nails will be visible or the patches over them will be :-).
If you can find one nail, a tape measure will find the rest of the studs.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

snipped-for-privacy@coastalnow.net (Mr.Breeze) wrote in message

As the other posts say, attach to the studs if possible. In cases where there is no stud, such as the end of a shelf beteen studs, use an EZ anchor. These anchors screw into the drywall with either a #2 or#3 phillips tip.Hardware stores carry them. They are made in a variety of materials, lead, nylon. Use the nylon for your use.Buy appropiate screws for the anchor. mike
snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com (mike) wrote in message

I just don't trust anything that threads into drywall. I've hadd molys and EZ anchors rattle out fairly frequently. I much prefer toggle bolts in the case where studs are unavailable, which I've never seen fail. Plus, they allow some fudge room since the hole is bigger than the bolt:
http://www.cabinetmart.com/66-TBxxx.gif
-Mike
| | I just don't trust anything that threads into drywall.
I agree. Drywall should not be depended on to carry any load except for its own and a couple of coats of paint. I've seen every fancy doo-dad designed to enable drywall to bear the weight of something else, at some point tear an obnoxious hole in it. Unfortunately that includes toggle bolts, even though I agree they're the best attempt. If you've absolutely got to put something between studs, fasten a furring strip between the studs and put your object on that.
--Jay