attaching back to cabenet

I'm building a Shaker style cupboard. Plans call for a rabbet-lapped joint between the sides of the case and the back, and to nail the back to the shelves.

Question: I assume the plans omit mention of glue for the back, to allow for moment? Is this typical in case construction?

Reply to
Rich Stern

Anthony Diodati

Solid wood was normally nailed in, as the nails allowed a bit of movement. Ply _could probably_ survive gluing, but it is unnecessary for strength (use lots of little brads), and potentially a mess to clean up the glue runs and squeezes.

Reply to
George

Yep, back is solid wood.

Thanks!