attaching back to cabenet

I'm building a Shaker style cupboard. Plans call for a rabbet-lapped joint between the sides of the case and the back, and to nail the back to the shelves.
Question: I assume the plans omit mention of glue for the back, to allow for moment? Is this typical in case construction?
Is the back solid wood or plywood? If solid ,most likely. Tony D.

joint
for

Yep, back is solid wood.
Thanks!
Solid wood was normally nailed in, as the nails allowed a bit of movement. Ply _could probably_ survive gluing, but it is unnecessary for strength (use lots of little brads), and potentially a mess to clean up the glue runs and squeezes.

joint
for