Attached room with deck on top?

What is the best surface for the "roof/deck" part of a project like this?
I am building a 12' x 12' room on the back of my house, and want to add a deck on top. What surface is best for the roof to avoid wear and leaks into the room below? Tile?
Thanks, Tim

I would build a plywood deck with a slight slope so water will drain, the have a pro roofer cover it with a rubber membrane. Run the rubber up the walls a foot too. Build your deck in sections small enough that you can lift them off the deck, think large wooden floor tiles! The railing can be built into the framing and the rubber membrane can be fit around the posts. Greg

If the railings can be built into the framing, and extending up above the roof surface, what about floating the entire deck above the roof surface? I wonder what the local code requires to span 12 feet? Tom

Tim, for a 'different approach have a look at the 'Garden Roof Constructions' at www.damp-solutions.com They can be installed by any handyman. (Built a garden roof on an old leaking flat factory roof -200sq.mt on my own in three days! It will last for some 50 years or more and whats more if you mow it you have your own putting green. Happy building, Kind regards Joe