Attach thin molding.

Ok. My rails are just over 3/4" thick and the groove for the panel will be 1/4" wide on center. That only leaves a little over 1/4" to attach the molding to the rail around the panel. The molding will sit on the panel and be flush with the rail. How would you attach it? I am worried that if I use glue some squeeze out will get on the panel, gluing the molding to the rail and the panel (cross grain problem). I don't like using nails, however a pinner might be the best way to do this (unfortunately, I don't own a pinner).
What would ya do here? The molding is a customer request. I would prefer not to use it.
On 1/6/2010 8:31 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Personally, wouldn't hesitate to glue the molding to the rail, and attach it with pin's " 'til the glue dries".
This is pretty standard trim stuff, and the perfect excuse to get a pinner. You won't be sorry.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Unfortunately, funds are a little dry lately. So I should be ok with just a thin film of glue? If I do have a little squeeze out onto the panel (going cross grain), I'm guessing the panel will eventually break free from the molding as it moves with the seasons. Am I worrying about nothing here? I'm usually not a molding or trim guy, ok, sometimes a little trim :^)
Are you pre-finishing the panels.? You could always apply a good coat of wax the surfaces you don't want sticking together and if the panels aren't pre-finished paint thinner should remove the wax.. That might increase your odds of trim staying with rail and stiles and not panel..
On 1/6/2010 7:16 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Ditto. prefinish + wax.
I take this one step further and prefinish the edges of the stiles and rails contacting the pannels. This solves the problem of finish wicking into the pannel grove when finishing the rails and stiles.
I tend to wipe on finishes and this works well for me. I immagine it would be less handy if spraying
Regards,
Steve
On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 20:46:00 -0600, the infamous Swingman

I'm poifectly happy with mine. http://fwd4.me/AWO $17 on sale.
-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10
"GarageWoodworks" wrote:

<snip>
Must have missed Norm's recent kitchen job.
He loved his pin nailer (23 ga) to hold trim while the glue dried, for this task.
Lew

I miss Nahmie! Still got him on Youtube. The smallest brad I can shoot is 18 ga. Santa had to give me the finger this year.
"GarageWoodworks" wrote: -------------------------------------------- I miss Nahmie! Still got him on Youtube. The smallest brad I can shoot is 18 ga. Santa had to give me the finger this year. --------------------------------------
He still appears on reruns if you have access to Create.TV
Understand your problem, but might want to take a look at H/F for a low cost pin nailer.
No direct experience but others on Wrec seem satisfied.
Lew
Predrill it and use a small hammer and brads.

I would only pin it, but since your funds are better used for other thinks these days, Use clear super glue, gel "IF" there is squeeze out it will not show.

Thanks for the help everyone!