Ater the dust settles

It's done... The flaws that I can see and know about seem to go unnoticed by others. My first attempt at a chair, a high chair to be more specific, stands waiting for the finishing. I've been in construction all my life. Trim carpentry is one thing. Wood working is another. This is my first attempt at what I consider to be a fine piece of furniture. Angled mortise and tenon joints pegged with contrasting wood. Tapered legs, carved saddle, curves and angles all coming together as planed. I'm enjoying the sense of accomplishment. All you more experienced think back to that first piece...remember how it felt? Does it still feel that way?
How about some pictures?

my
carved
before anyone comments on the obvious that would be a "piece" of furniture
mel wrote:

I don't really build much in the way of furniture. It's big, complicated, expensive, and I don't have any place to put it anyway.
So, bearing that in mind, the answer is yes. I get that little bit of elation at the end of just about every "serious" project. So far it's because every project is that much better than the last one. I find fewer things to try to avoid looking at, more things to catch the eye and make me proud that I got them right...
I figure when this stops it's time to take up a new hobby.
She was a fine piece she was. Yes, I remember her well. Nice curves, and just beautiful. I loved to run my hands all over her.
As far as your question goes, I haven't made hundreds of pieces yet, but maybe 10+/-. I still get a great sense of achievement and satisfaction. For me it comes in two parts. The first thrill is very personal and is the feeling that "damn, that looks nice and I made it". In other words it comes from within. The second stage comes when other people see it and say "damn, that looks nice, you made that???"
Oh yeah, the first piece mentioned above was an end table.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"mel" < snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

I'm a refugee from construction also, what I enjoy about my woodworking is not having to make schedule induced compromises.

I haven't produced any fine furniture yet but I've made some pretty cool kayaks. I find each project to have it's own challenges to overcome, I definitely enjoy the process more than the final product. I always see room for improvement.
Paul