At what speed generaly

should I use this type of bit,bearing in mind I'll have to make 3 or 4 passes for full cut.
http://tinyurl.co.uk/zhi9
Details of its dimensions further down the page Thanks.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

That's really not that big of a bit (compare it to a large panel-raiser, for example).
12-15k could easily be handled, but you could start at something closer to 10k and see what kind of finish you get. Depending on the wood species and the grain, it wouldn't take that many passes, either, I'd think--that's really not that deep a pattern. If one had a power feeder, two would do easily. By hand, it would be easier to get a nice finish w/ three, undoubtedly, but that would be an option imo, not mandatory.
Judge by the work, though, and your comfort level. You can always start slower/thinner and go up/deeper as you develop experience.
dpb wrote:

Thanks DPB.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Bit diameter         Maximum speed:
0"- 1             24,000rpm 1-1/4 - 2         18,000rpm 2-1/4 - 2-1/2     16,000rpm 3 - 3-1/2         12,000rpm
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA