At the BORG - What Would You Do?

Page 1 of 3
I bought a couple sheets of plywood and a nice new 10" saw blade at the BORG, and maybe another $5 item. When the clerk scanned the cart, I guess she only scanned the plywood, even though the other stuff was in plain view.
I didn't pay attention until I was pushing the cart out the door, and glanced at my receipt.
Would you have gone back and informed them of the mistake?

Absolutely.

Same here.

Absolutely.
Ditto. If you didn't pay for something that left the store with you it's stealing. It doesn't matter if they didn't catch it at checkout. What if someone was helping you do some work at home and was using your tools. They discover when they get home that they still have your tape. Heck, you didn't keep track of it so it's now theirs, right?! Wrong!! You'd expect them to give it back. The fact that the loser here is a corporation makes no difference. Your the one who's either honest or a crook. Even if you feel cheated by a product or service. That only means that you should do business elsewhere. It's not yours to even the score.
Perry Aynum wrote: ...

You even have to ask?

Did your parents leave this part out when they were teaching you how to be a good person?
I was at Woodcraft several weeks ago and bought a load of pen kits. The bill came out less than I expected so I went back in and confronted the salesman that checked my purchase. I pulled him over to the side where no one would hear the conversation and pointed out that he had under charged me. He examined the receipt and looked at the pieces that I brought back in and agreed that he missed charging me for those items. He then thanked be for being honest and proceeded to only charge me for 2 of the 3 items missed, purposely this time. To this day I get a little better handling than normal when I go into the store.
In this day and age where so many have lost their way you see a lot less of the courtesy of treating others like you would like to be treated.

About a month ago, about 6 of us, all retirees from the same company were having a meal together in a local pub. The time came to pay and we asked fro the bill. We all chipped in our dues according to the menu prices and found we had a fair bit more than the bill so we queried it. We were then told that some of the items were on special offer that day but they thanked us anyway.

A person shouldn't need a cop to tell them what would be the right thing to do. Yes, I would have gone back in. Tom

Yes, of course.
I am poor enough as it is. I don't need the bad karma. I feel like it's not my stuff because it isn't. I am proud to turn my hard labor into things I can own even if I can't get all the things I really want.
That being said, it is also nice to be careful not to get someone in trouble for an honest mistake if you do correct them.
However, I won't put up with stupidity very well. I was helping my sister buy a laser printer way back when they were really something special. It was supposed to be maybe $1,000. It wouldn't scan and the clerk tried 3 times to enter the sku number by hand to no avail. Her supervisor came over to see what was the hold up being very rude to the poor gal. The sup enters a number and it comes up as the same brand but it is like a toner cartridge or something for about $50 and starts to walk away. We called her back and pointed out the error, she was insistent it was correct and straight out asked us if we wanted to pay the $50 for the item or not. We did. Then as we are exiting the store we figure the gig is up, the big security guard stops us, looks at the recipet and the item, marks it with his pen and says "have a good day". Sheesh.
I never felt good about it and honestly that printer started breaking down soon after and we didn't have a reciept to use for return or anything. Karma?

In a similar vein, I was on my way back from Rochester NY to Toronto, when just outside of Rochester I saw a burger joint and I decided I'd best feed myself before the 5 hour drive home. Little did I know that I was far enough away from the border that the girl at the counter gave me a look when I presented her with a 20-dollar Canadian bill. She hollered for the manager, who was a whole lot friendlier that the girl who, by now, was rocking on her heels, hand on her hip, chewing gum and radiating bad attitude. The manager told her the exchange was 35% and walked away. The girl stood there confused and annoyed and when I tried to do the exchange for her, she rejected my help with a snap of her gum and a loud sigh. She got a piece of paper and a calculator and decided that I was 'really' giving her $ 27.00. I tried to protest that the exchange went the other way, but she would have none of it... just more attitude. Finally I gave up. So.. She gave me 27 dollars, deducted the 3.50 for the food and paid me $ 23.50 in US cash change. I let it go. Didn't even feel bad. I was happy with the knowledge that I really tried hard to help her. Sooo, for 20 Canadian, I got 30 Canadian equiv. AND a free burger. Now THAT is change I can believe in..<WEG>
[...]
They walk among us!
Dave in Houston

Is there NO dollar value, no need of cash, great enough to adequately settle your disquiet? I know my wife's threshold is less than $250; I have an ill gotten set of teak lounges out back to prove it. Myself, I must still be working off transgressions committed in my youth. I haven't been confronted with the question on values of more than trifling insignificance. I think somewhere between $10 million and $10, plus or minus an Asshole Tax where appropriate, lies a value that without question I would chuck my misgivings and run with the booty. Surely, I can't be alone here.
========================

Yep, Did that at REI recently - took 3 shirts to the checkout, didn't notice until I got home that they'd charged me for only 2. Went back with the shirts and the receipt a couple of days later - the shirts were now on sale, ended up paying about $2 for the third shirt. Kerry
Kerry Montgomery wrote:

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 23:56:09 +0000, SonomaProducts.com wrote (in article

Yes, but not in the way you're reading it.
The printer _was_ a lemon, independently of the personalities involved in your purchase and the price you paid for it. There's no cause and effect relationship here
If you'd paid full price for it, it would _still_ have broken down but you'd then have the hassle of trying to sort out a replacement/refund from a store supervised by pedantic stupids and you'd probably have been without a printer for two years while it was being sorted out and while you were writing frustrated letters every few days and while you were a thousand bucks down for the duration.
You did all you reasonably could to do right by everyone and you avoided the worst-case scenario while learning something valuable about the store and the printer brand.. Don't beat yourself up because you didn't suffer enough. Guilt is never a virtue.
I think the universe unfolded as it should
(Hey - celebrate!!)
In article <54f03d4e-8e54-4d09-b95b-d872d826a9b0

I'd have taken it as a suggestion that something was wrong with the printer and suggested getting another one off the shelf. Unless there was some serious, known issue within the product line, I'd wonder if you were buying a return.
The times I've ignored serious point of purchase problems have been the times when I've taken home a lemon.

jc
Perry Aynum wrote:

I've done exactly that although the situation hasn't come up at Hell Depot. I don't know, when I think of the indifference and incompetence their staff typically display and how I've left their store grinding my teeth on more than one occasion, I guess I'd have to think it over. I'd probably go back. But I'd be remembering the time I was kept waiting in the checkout line while the inept clerk kept paging the garden center trying to get a stock number on the sled of paving blocks I'd loaded myself (she being unable to find such an exotic item in the computer). Finally some twerp strolled over from the service desk and said to the clerk, "Why do you keep paging the garden center, you know they never answer," and walked away. Hmmmm, I'm back to having to think it over.