At dinner last night...

Page 1 of 3
My neighbour (she is a top public servant with several degrees and very smart in most things) told me that she bought a power drill and used it for a year or so, never very happy with its cutting speed. Surgeon husband tiook a look at it and couldnt see anything wrong. Then a friend pointed out the problem. She had it in reverse.
Mekon

Confession:
last year I bought a Jonsered chainsaw to take down a tree in the front yard that was dying. Good excuse to buy a $400 tool.
It cut like crap the first time I tried it, even on 2" branches.
The blade had been installed backwards at the shop, and I hadn't checked before firing it up.
That reminds me of the first time I put a chain on a saw...you guessed it, I put it on backward. It wouldn't cut sh*t. I laugh everytime I think of it. Thanks. Joe

You can be sure I double check every time I put the chain back on the saw...
;-D

...and then the guy at the shop started it up, and the owner said "What's that noise??!?!?!"
Dave "Sorry, I'll come in again..." Hinz

They're supposed to make noise?
--
WOMD?
<http://www.coxandforkum.com/archives/000140.html

    Funny you should mention this. Just this last weekend, I was going to try and progress some of the cleanup around the house, so, after "PM"ing the chainsaw sharpener, I pulled the chain off the Stihl, and got it all tweaked up. Needless to say, I was pretty puzzled as to why it only produced fine dust and smoke when I tried cutting into the Maple trunk on the front lawn. I thought, since I had adjusted the grind a bit, that I had screwed something up, and ruined the teeth. However, of course, when I looked at it, I saw that *I* had put it on backwards! After a quick shot to the forehead with the Klown Hammer, I hiked up to the workshop, swapped the chain around, and, was quite pleased with the way it chewed through the thick maple, producing a nice spray of chips...     Sigh.     Measure twice, cut once.     Dave Mundt

Damn, that thought stands all on its own.
Regards,
Tom.
Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker, ret. tjwatson1atcomcastdotnet (real email) http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
stated, with eyes & arms akimbo:

Is this a Darwin Moment, or merely proof that PHD stands for "Piled Higher and Deeper"?

Scary, wot? Intelligence is ever dependent upon one's perspective.
---------------------------------- VIRTUE...is its own punishment http://www.diversify.com Website Applications =================================================

Having that degree, and fully realizing its "potential", I was impressed by the new cleaning person on our floor. He admits to being a recovering addict of some sort, but confiding in me that "common sense" wasn't really all that common.
I couldn't agree more, especially now that common sense has been abandoned as a guiding principle, and we are left with following rules and documenting whatever we do, without regard to that old-fashioned "coomon sense".
--
Best regards
Han

I've always considered "common sense" to simply be the ability to use reason and logic to draw the "proper" conclusions from a set of observations. Which leads me to the conclusion that blind adherence to rules, precedents, and "zero-tolerance" policies is both illogical and unreasonable.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Maybe, but, what's the alternative, and is it really any better?
Kevin
--
=====

"Tom Veatch" < snipped-for-privacy@onemain.com> wrote in message
Except, of course, others' expectation is that you will obey the rules. Their health and life often depend on it. Society is founded on it.
Consider the case of "value neutral" driving....

George wrote:

The problem is not with rules, precedents, and policies, it's the blind adherence and zero-tolerance parts that are the issue. Sometimes violating the rules is the right decision and zero tolerance wastes everybody's time on trivia.
--
--John
Change it, don't violate it.

Agreed, but...

I don't think anyone would argue with these rules being valid. Its the stupid ones that need to be fixed. My kid's high school has a zero tolerance drug policy. That includes asprin, cough drops, etc. All this does is piss intelligent people off and remove any responsibility and decision making from school administrators. It effectively neuters them and reduces their value. Maybe we should now pay them less because those kinds of decisions are made for them? Is that "the right thing?"
Chris

--
Chris Richmond | I don't speak for Intel & vise versa

Change it or abide by it.
By all means do not teach your child that it's all right to define the law in personal terms, or demean the teachers/administrators for following the rules that _you_ through your representatives, the board, have given them to follow.
I'm in EMS, and when one of the kids had an allergic reaction in class, I took the reprimand for giving Benadryl rather than waiting for the ambulance to arrive. Broke the rules, but was willing to take the consequences. That's what "civil disobedience," should be about.
message

George wrote:

I'm sorry, but you neither changed the law nor abided by it, so why do you advocate that others behave differently? Is it "do as I say, not as I do"?

--
--John
You need to read as if your mind were not already made up.

Broke the rules, but was willing to take the consequences.

George wrote:

Please quote the post in which I "belittled the rule and its enforcement".

So? Find out what it is and then make a judgment call about whether to get the police involved. Zero tolerance removes that judgment.

You mean the school nurse was selling Ritalin? Or are you saying that the mother was selling it? How does "zero tolerance" alter that?

I'm desolated to admit that I cannot figure out how the administration of medication by the school relates to "zero tolerance".
Very honestly, if you're in a position of authority, you need to be replaced by someone who is actually capable of making a decision without looking in a book.

--
--John