Asthetics opinions wanted on lighting outside of shop

Local code requires a man light above the shop man door, I'm hoping I can get away with it to the side and about even with the top of the door frame. I'd like some asthetic opinions on light placement and number of lights.

The particular fixture I found was inexpensive and happened to be at Lowes. I wanted something besides "carriage lanterns" that are seen on nearly all other shops and garages.

Using some microwave magnets I was able to hold the light on the side of the shop "above the man door":

then took another photo of the light on the side of the 10x10 garage door, and copied the light to a couple other locations.

3 lights
lights
questions:
  1. for those who build is "above the man door" satisfied with my placement?
  2. do two lights look better than three lights?
  3. would you put a third light next to the garage door or center it over the large window?

Thanks!

Alan

Reply to
arw01

That would be determined by the building inspector. Why not ask him? It will save a lot of problems after it is wired. Some inspectors will be happy if it meets the spirit of the code, others will measure to see it it is perfect height. If it is your own shop for hoby use, he may be more practical than if it is a commercial shop. Some inspectors are great and helpful, a few are idiots.

Depends. If you had a light on either side of the man door, three is OK. The third above the window looks out of place.

I'd probably have a third flood mounted at the roof peak. I'd also have either a motion sensor or an X-10 system to turn it on from the house. It can even work from your car if equipped with Smart Home.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski