assembly advice?

hi...

I'm trying to assemble this small box. Will it be a problem to put stain on the pieces and then glue them up? I usually assemble and then put the stain but this box has a lot of nooks and crannies and applying stain will be a pain when assembled. I've never stained and then assembled and glued before. Will it cause a major problem?

thanks...

Reply to
Ah10201

Glue won't hold over stain, nor will stain usually cover glue. Better to mask areas to be glued, stain the rest, then glue up.

Reply to
L. A. Powell

Gluing stained surfaces wont work. You'll need to mask off the glue surfaces to keep the stain off of them.

Can you use dye instead of stain? I've successfully glued dyed surfaces together with TB-II. The strength of the joint is probably less than that of undyed wood but it was still strong enough for my application. Do a test with some scraps to determine if it will be strong enough for your application.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

No problem, it's only a small box and you don't need much strength,

Some depends on the type of "stain". In the UK this would work fine (our idea of stain is a dye or pigment in solvent, no more) but if it's in the US (where "stain" often includes those that are coloured varnishes) then it would be more troublesome.

Glue type also changes things. PVA won't like anything that seals the surface, PU or epoxy won't mind.

Reply to
Andy Dingley