Aspen Wood

Anyone have experince work with Aspen Wood ? How does it take stain and how does it bend after steaming? Will it hold up outdoors fter painting?
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 05:19:46 -0700, mantywoc wrote:

Machines OK. Somewhat fuzzy, but can be sanded to a smooth finish. Staining is uneven, you will need to use techniques used on other blotchy woods (like pine). I haven't tried dyes on aspen. It's not my favorite wood. I use it mostly as a secondary wood when it won't be seen or will be painted.
D.G. Adams

Interlocked grain and soft, light texture made it an ideal wood for cart bottoms. Dents, doesn't split. Can be stained/dyed with techniques like those used for soft maple to produce some lovely shimmer.
It'll bend any damn way it wants to once you start reducing big to little, takes well to steaming, but springs back more than ash. Durability zero. As board/batten siding out of contact with the ground, it'll weather to a nice rustic look.
On 23 Oct 2005 05:19:46 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net scribbled:

Other than the true stuff that D.G. Adams said, it rots easily, so would not be very good to use outdoors.
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Woodworking
I have never worked with Aspen and would like to know some things about that type of wood. How does it stain? Bent? Do outdoors after painting it?

Didn't you read the replies already up?
Rob Cosman uses it for drawer sides in his dovetail classes. Makes a very nice contrast to walnut and cherry.
Alan