Asian style woods?

Greetings All, I am undergoing a home renovation and have seen pictures of Asian (mostly Japanese) styled interiors featuring a lot of native (to them ?) wood details. If I had to guess what our equivalent here in the US would be, it seems like straight grained Doug Fir may be close. As much as I like trusty ol' red oak, I getting somewhat tired of using the same material over and over. Does anyone have any experience with Asian decor, with a recommendation of what type of wood will replicate a typical Japanese interior? BTW, I will DAGS right after this and am looking around for a few books also. But it seems like there's always someone in the (Hard) wRECk that comes through. Many thanks for your time.                             Mark L. BTW, I am stocking up on teak, but at the bd ft prices I will save it for bath cabinets only.

time.
I think cedar is one of the "traditional" woods, although fir seemed more common IME. Any clear softwood with consistent grain (straight grain for small peices, but larger peices often have some figure but few knots) should get the point accross. As for the finish, avoid filming finishes like poly. I think that the traditional clear finish was simply a friction finish that brings out the sap in the wood and rubs it to a polish. Penetrating/oil finishes would be a better modern translation.
hth
-MJ
Try Japanese maple. If you do a google search for "tansu chest" I think it indicates maple, and looks awesome. Only one example.
I have seen both natural wood finishes and lacquered finishes (red/black/green). Spent a week in Tokyo and visited some temples...lots of color. Homes seem to be more natural.

I agree about the homes being more natural. I really don't like the black lacquered furniture, mainly want to replicate the natural wood tones in the homes. Thanks, Chris.
Chris Carruth wrote:

******** The Japanese use a lot of woods but "cedar" (ie a softwood that is not fir, spruce or pine) will be popular. In Japan "cedar" will most often be Cryptomeria japonica. Also look at sen. PvR