Artist or Engineer

Page 1 of 3
Are most woodworkers artists or engineers, or neither, or both? For the sake of narrowing the field, feel free to assume the population of this forum.
More than ever, I keep getting inclinations that I should be drawing and drafting. I think I can draw better than people who can't. ; ) My dad was a civil engineer who made copious plans for "everything". His buddy was a civil engineer who made projects (mostly "rustic stuff") by the seat of this pants!
I may try SketchUp (motivated by the recent "How To Design Furniture" publication by Taunton Press). I didn't think the 4-page introduction to the software was detailed enough--but it was nice to learn about the (free) software. I may give it a try it in a few minutes...just to see whether it may be worthwhile for me. I can hardly wait <gulp>! ; )
Bill

Bill if you would like to see what you can do with Sketchup I can send you a file of the bedroom furniture towers that I designed and posted pictures of on a.p.b.w.
I have had formal drafting instruction when drawings were only done on a drawing board. I never perused that profession but kept an interest in it to help with my building projects. I have been using a CAD program of some type since 1986. Up until last year I had used AutoCAD LT since 1997.
Sketchup is it for me now and I will probably never go back to the more expensive CAD programs.
The investment to learn Sketchup is well worth your time and that time will be less if you have any drafting back ground. Suddenly with Sketchup you can draw in perspective 3D with very little effort with or with out CAD experience.
One thing that is critical to remember is that you want to draw all of your 3D parts separately and then convert them into components. If you simply draw lines and connect them they are very difficult to separate. If the part you draw is a component you can easily move it and assemble your project much like an erector set.
There are a few of us here that will be glad to help you with any questions that you may have about Sketchup.
Basically for wood working this is going to be the easiest and most competent program to design your projects.

Way cool program.
I posted my first result with SketchUp at alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking, as Subject: First SketchUp (pdf file), in case anyone wants to see what you can do with it in an hour or so...
I have a LOT to learn, but the potential is evident...
Bill
Bill wrote:

Bill wrote: > pdf attached
<also posted on abpw>
Excellent first effort ... take to heart what Leon said on the wRec about making component parts ... the secret to using SU effectively for woodworking projects.
With regard to whether your proclivity is "artist" or "engineer", oftentimes you have no choice.
Attached is a pdf of the SketchUp file I did last year during the planning stages of the South wall of a kitchen, and a photo of that recently finished South wall, 8 months later.
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/southwall.pdf
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/southwall.jpg
A good illustration of what you can do with the free program, particularly when you have a client involved in the design and they actually end up getting what they saw during the planning stage.
Makes for a happy client, and good referrals ....
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

That is darn impressive. Thank you for sharing it. I saved a copy to show my wife so she can see that I'm not just screwing around! ; )
Bill
"Bill" wrote

Let us know if that works. :)
Bill wrote:

Hell, if you want, I'll send you the entire kitchen SketchUp file ... it is about 4.4MB, a heavy lift for many mail servers.
I also posted links in the past to some "dynamic component", kitchen wall and base cabinets that you can change the dimensions of ... real handy when fitting cabinets into a pre-existing space. I'll cehck my server to see if they're still on line.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Cool. Question: Is there lighting above the hutch and oven cabinets? Else why is there a gap there. It looks really odd to me.
Ever wish you'd gone with fumed QS white oak instead? That's the kitchen which would make me drool. It's only "very nice" as is.

Indeed. Nice segue to reality there, pard.

I added "materials" today... light wood finish. Neat-o! Later I went to it's "3-D Warehouse" to see if there was a vise.... Let's just say lots of folks got there before me. Pretty cool.
http://sketchup.google.com if you haven't tried it yet. Start by watching some tutorials. It's a cools video game...I haven't yet figured out how to position the chair I downloaded (it's seems to want to live at the origin) ...
Bill

Typically when you download a file it simply follows your cursor around until you click some where on the screen, then you can move it to where ever you want. If it seems to want to be some where in particular it could be that it has a Google Earth location. That may want to place it in a specific location. I'm guessing here. Try down loading something else.
Bill wrote:

I downloaded the videos that Google puts out at http://sketchup.google.com/training/videos.html I found them invaluable in introducing me to some of the power of the program.
As Leon and Swingman pointed out, one of the most important early tricks is to make components early and often. It saves a ton of time later on down the road.
Tanus
If you make things that work - and don't worry about what it looks like - you're probably an engineer.
If you make things that look pleasing to the eye or hand - but it doesn't actually "do" anything - you're probably and artist.
If you THINK you make things that work and THINK you make things that are pleasing to the eye neither of which may actually be true - you're probably an architect.
Fortunately, somewhere, there's a craftsman who can add or fix what each of the others overlooked - or ignored.

We need a like button on the wreck, just like in Facebook.
Luigi
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

Like! <g>
BTW, you're well hidden on FB.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Strange, I just looked up my privacy settings and everyone should be able to see me. And I am the only Luigi Zanasi on FB, "Luigi Dena Ch'ŏ Zanasi", which also includes my Kaska First Nations Name, given to me by an elder a few months ago.
I do have two other former? wreckers as friends (O'Deen & Groggy).
Luigi
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

Operator problem on this end ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
"charlieb" wrote: --------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------ Reminds me of the difference between engineers, salesmen and purchasing agents. =============================ENGINEERS SALESMAN PURCHASING AGENTS
An engineer is a person who knows a great deal about very little, learning more and more about less and less until they finally know practically everything about nothing.
A salesman, on the other hand, is a person who knows very little about many things, and keeps learning less and less about more and more until they know practically nothing about everything.
A purchasing agent starts out knowing everything about everything, but ends up knowing nothing about anything due to his association with engineers and salesman. ========================= Lew
charlieb wrote:

You just nailed it, bubba!!! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

You meat me to it Swingman! LOL
charlieb wrote:

But how does Kelly Johnson fit into all of this? The SR-71 works fine as a piece of abstract art and half a century later is still the fastest airplane in the world, so it clearly works.