Arrgh! - Almost had a new shop location...

Spotted in the paper last night:
GREAT STARTER HOME, 2-story, 3BR, gutted, new roof & sided, fixer- upper located in Red Oak, Iowa, $2,800.
It was, of course, sold before I could get through on the phone. :-(
I feel your pain. ;-) My wife and I have been looking at houses for about a year. Either the house is too small, out of our price range, no room to build a shop, etc. We go to an open house this past weekend. Nice big house, 30x40 shop (with DC to stay with), pool, and plenty of storage barns (4 of them at a minimum of 12x20). We fall in love and confirm our mortgage amount and make an offer the next day. I almost cried when they accepted an offer 2 hours before us.
Back to my cramped shop, Allen

"Allen Roy" wrote in message

amount
2
Hell, that made me cry!

I'm dreaming of one of these days being able to rip an 8' board without cutting it down to 95" AND removing the top drawer out of the built-in cabinet on the wall on the outfeed side.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

It doesn't necessarily get better. The problem just moves around. To rip a 12' board, I have to clear the west end of the workbench, and roll the Unisaw out into the driveway. That generally ends up being a 45 minute task, because of all the related 'stuff'.
It's a law of the hobbyist workshop. One to 4 dimensions of the space will be inadequate at any given time. And that doesn't account for the next generation working on a 'small project', and leaving huge disorganization behind in their wake. ;-)
It's my mess. I used to know where my stuff was.
Or maybe that's a different problem.
Patriarch
"Patriarch" wrote in message

will
Yabbut, I routinely build _entire_ kitchens in this palatial space. :(
But it does get hilarious to watch, I'd bet.
Where there's a will!... and I'm happy to have a shop to do it in, and bitch about. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

I hear the part about clearing the bench... *sigh*
It must be some kind of law of physics or something that says that the more flat surfaces you have in the shop, the more things you find to lay there "temporarily"..
My saw is in a 15' x 40' carport and I still have to move junk and roll tools out of the way to cut long stuff..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Home Depot will cut your lumber for you :-)
--
********
Bill Pounds
"Pounds on Wood" wrote in message

Sure thing ... with a tolerance of 1/8" a foot, I'll be sure to bring the next load of QSWO straight over there. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07
| I'm dreaming of one of these days being able to rip an 8' board without | cutting it down to 95" AND removing the top drawer out of the built-in | cabinet on the wall on the outfeed side.
I don't have such a small space, but me and most everyone and every type of shop has "real estate" problems. It just comes with the territory. I'm thinking I will have to build on to the rear of the shop to accomodate the dust collector and compressor and have more storage space for sheet stock. But I know that I will still be rolling around machines for the rest of my life.
woodstuff

Damn! They're giving away houses in Iowa.....
Jeff wrote:
|| Spotted in the paper last night: || || GREAT STARTER HOME, 2-story, 3BR, || gutted, new roof & sided, fixer- || upper located in Red Oak, Iowa, || $2,800. || || It was, of course, sold before I could get through on the phone. || :-( | | Damn! They're giving away houses in Iowa.....
Not very often. Average price of a new home in the Des Moines area is something like a quarter-million.
From the description, I guessed that this house had been fire-damaged. Red Oak, however nice a town it might be, has a population about 6000 and is a fair distance from almost anywhere that might show up on a map of the USA (the closest such features would be the Missouri River and Omaha).
Remote is nice until you think about such things as TV, internet connectivity, theaters, restaurants, car repairs, lumberyards,...