Arne Jacobsen Ant Chairs

I have a set of original, three-legged, black-painted Jacobsen Ant Chairs. They're in need of repair, and while considering this I wondered whether it would be possible - and not too damaging - to have the paint stripped off to show the natural wood. Does anyone know what might happen to bent wood if it were to be dipped-and-stripped?? And does anyone know what sort of wood might be lurking beneath the paint?
Any advice greatly appreciated,
Jane
Visit www.homesteadfinishing.com which is Jeff Jewitt's site where several forums exist. You can ask in the forum for restoration/refinishing or a name similar to that and it's possible Jeff can answer the question. He also is familiar with several other sites where expertise resides.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jane S) wrote in message

+ + + Seems like beech (Fagus sylvatica) would be the favorite. Given Jacobsen's prominence there should be exact information in a book somewhere? PvR