Ark

Page 2 of 2
jo4hn wrote:

From the more-than-you-ever-wanted-to-know department, the following url was supplied by a friend of mine:
http://www.sover.net/~rc/deep_secrets/cubit /
    good grief,     j4
Ahhhhh...the famous math solution, when in fact some dumb ass carpenter took a stick, made two marks on it and said "that looks about right"....
jo4hn wrote:

Heck, it's not even that complicated: a cubit is the distance from your elbow to your fingertip.

In Val-speak, that's been described as "grody, to the _Manx_!"

31 years ago, the end of June, west-central Iowa got 28" of rain in less than 24 hours. And something like 16" more the next day.
The Racoon River -- which under normal circumstances was suited for canoeing, but not big/deep enough for a ski-boat -- was making like the Mississippi. I spent nearly 72 hours non-stop on sand-bag detail, helping build levee more than 1-1/2 _miles_ away from the cut that the river normally ran in part of the bottom of. (It was spread about that far on the _other_ side of the cut, too!) The crest was something like 48-1/2 _feet_ above normal.
Then there was the Spring of 1967. We had rain, _every_day_, for THIRTY-NINE CONSECUTIVE DAYS. When the 'streak' was into its 5th week, 'cubits' and related construction was a _frequent_ subject of conversation. By the *sixth* week, there was near-daily discussion in the local newspaper, and on the TV News. On 'day 40', the weather (or lack thereof :) _was_ the lead story.
Funny part was that there wasn't any flooding associated with that spell of weather. Was a miserable time for us school-kids -- and, of course, stressful on the parents of school-age children. Lots of days started out merely 'partly cloudy', with the overcast building in late-morning, and a miserable, _drizzly_ rain starting somewhere around 2:00-2:30 in the afternoon. There we were, trapped in the classrooms, looking out at that nice sun-shine all morning, and watching things degrade to 'yucky' by the time school got out. light rain _all_ week-end, too.