Ark

Heck, it's not even that complicated: a cubit is the distance from your elbow to your fingertip.

Doug Miller

Andy Dingley wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

James-the-first-and-sixth was a religious disaster? I thought that was James II, the one that came before Williamandmary?

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Well they both were. James II probably the worst, but James I was responsible for setting up many of the initial conditions.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In Val-speak, that's been described as "grody, to the _Manx_!"

31 years ago, the end of June, west-central Iowa got 28" of rain in less than 24 hours. And something like 16" more the next day.

The Racoon River -- which under normal circumstances was suited for canoeing, but not big/deep enough for a ski-boat -- was making like the Mississippi. I spent nearly 72 hours non-stop on sand-bag detail, helping build levee more than 1-1/2 _miles_ away from the cut that the river normally ran in part of the bottom of. (It was spread about that far on the _other_ side of the cut, too!) The crest was something like 48-1/2 _feet_ above normal.

Then there was the Spring of 1967. We had rain, _every_day_, for THIRTY-NINE CONSECUTIVE DAYS. When the 'streak' was into its 5th week, 'cubits' and related construction was a _frequent_ subject of conversation. By the *sixth* week, there was near-daily discussion in the local newspaper, and on the TV News. On 'day 40', the weather (or lack thereof :) _was_ the lead story.

Funny part was that there wasn't any flooding associated with that spell of weather. Was a miserable time for us school-kids -- and, of course, stressful on the parents of school-age children. Lots of days started out merely 'partly cloudy', with the overcast building in late-morning, and a miserable, _drizzly_ rain starting somewhere around 2:00-2:30 in the afternoon. There we were, trapped in the classrooms, looking out at that nice sun-shine all morning, and watching things degrade to 'yucky' by the time school got out. light rain _all_ week-end, too.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi