argh, screwup need advice

I had the same problem when I built mine some time ago. What I did was to add a sturdy [1/2" thick, 1.5" wide] piece of nice looking molding flush with the top, and between the protruding legs all the way around. I fastened the hinges [regular brass, cut out the molding part to inset] to the molding and the seat. No protruding parts since all now have the same depth.
Brikp wrote:

I don't understand the problem, why not look at a piano bench. I assume your top is somewhat longer and wider than the greatest dimension of the case (including legs). On my piano bench twp flat hinges (no mortising) are set atop the case about t inches in from the outside dimension. The top is wider than the case so you really have to look to see the brass hinges. BTW its a bench for a Baldwin.