Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

Page 10 of 10

WTF?!?!?! How many transportation vouchers did they get? Did you see the same drunkasses weekly, each time with a voucher? F_____g ridiculous. Our tax dollars at work. These drug and/or alcohol addicted losers now get the full gamut of the welfare teat -- SSI or Social Security Disability, Section 8 housing (sometimes live in brand new houses), Medicaid, food stamps, etc.. I knew a guy who dropped tons of acid in the 1970's as a teenager and blew a gasket or 2 (but seems ok now). He's in his 40's now, never had a job, and has been on the welfare teat since he was 18. He was moaning about "only" getting a $900/month welfare check in California (CA supplements the standard $500/month federal SSI check with an extra $400). I told him he oughtta get off the welfare teat and get a job.
-

To me, the idea of a tip other than in a restaurant, where they pretty much make a living off tips, is that if someone does something "above and beyond", you reward them...
If they drop off a cutoff saw at your front porch, thank them and drive on.. OTOH, if they deliver a table saw and take it where you want it, especially where stairs are involved, I think an additional "thank you" is required..
Sometimes it can be in the form of money, sometimes a little bowl, pen, or whatever you make in quantity is nice.. other times just a cold bottle of water from the frig is greatly appreciated... I think that we all want to be thanked and appreciated, don't we?
Tipping a delivery crew now might make that crew more helpful when they deliver that next saw to someone in the group... *g* YMWV Mac

I just send the wife out to show him a bit of cleavage. They usually leave very happy... You should see the pizza delivery boys when she answers the door in her bathing suit. They don't even count the money. :-)
James E. Cannon wrote:

It depends on what you paid for. For most freight deliveries the driver is responsible for delivering the item only to the back of the truck. It is the receiver's responsibility from there.
Unless the delivery contract stated that the drive was responsible to deliver the item to a specific location I would tip the driver if he helped off load the item and put it in my garage.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

OMIGAWD. A lucid reasonable human being!
Tue, Aug 8, 2006, 2:10pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@ruckover.com (JamesE.Cannon) doth query: I've decided that this is on-topic for this NG since many of us order large tools that have to be delivered freight. When a truck driver drops a pallet in your garage, is he expecting a tip? How much? What do you think? <snip>
If he drops off, then no, it's his job; that's what he's paid to do.
However, if the guy went out of his way to assist me in some way, doing something that is obviously "not" part of his job, then yes, I would consider a tip appropriate.
JOAT Teamwork is very important. It gives you someone to blame.
I have worked as a receiver, and have supervised receivers for a large company for many years, no company ever tips a freight driver. Now if you are having a delivery to your house and the drive goes over and above in the way of service taking the time to help you off the truck and moves it around and positions it carefully in a garage, you may want to drop a tip, or at least a cold drink in summer, hot in winter. Avoid beer as he is driving. Drivers who refuse to cross the curb or even touch the merchandise, would not even qualify for a thanks, even though they may be entirely within their rights.