Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

I would assume, then, if one is in a marked police car that they can go even faster.

A few months ago, a Nevada State Trooper was doing just that. Depending on which crash analysis you read, he was going between 113 and 119 mph when he hit the back of a Cadillac THAT WAS DOING THE SPEED LIMIT OF 55 MPH. Four of the occupants in the Cadillac were killed on impact. The fifth, a 16 year old pregnant girl lived. He said he was on his way home to take an online history test, and the time window for him to do so was about to expire. He was running without red lights or siren.

He was sentenced a couple of days ago to two to twelve years. Pretty light sentence.

I get aggravated with people who think they are so important that the rest of the world needs to get out of their way because they are late, or just have a king complex.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

So, what happened to slowing down a little more and waving the guys behind you to pass? You're trying to be this road conscious safety dude, did that thought somehow evaporate at the thought of some idiots tailgating you on icy roads. Was is a one way mountain road?

Reply to
Upscale

I guess the determining factor for me is whether they do something more than what is required by their paycheck. For the delivery people, all they're really required to do is drop it at the curb, then wait for you to sign the form saying there's no damage. That usually involves only a visual inspection of the outside of the container. Anyone who's shipped big machines can tell you that there may be damage inside though. So when a driver drops the 400+lb machine in my garage/shop right where I want it, then waits around for me to get through the packaging material and inspect all the pieces, I think that warrants a tip. At the very least, it will stop them from complaining about the extra 15 or 20 minutes to get everything apart.

As a side note, I don't like to tip bellhops, but I do it anyway. I think they're just doing their normal job. But I know they're making minimum wage so I don't feel too bad about it. Another place were tipping annoys me is in buffets. Part of a waitresses job is to bring me my food. If I have to get up and fetch my own food, that means the waitress isn't earning their tip. Sometimes, at our local old crusty buffet, the waitresses try to bring our drinks. But that annoys me also since we have a very specific way of getting them which is difficult to explain. Since i'm already up, I'd just prefer to get them myself. We still tip them, but it's not the whole 20% that we would do at a normal restaurant. The waitresses also buss the table so I think they should get something. I also notice that most people at the buffet don't tip at all.

Same for cab drivers. I don't like to tip them, but I do it anyway.

brian

Dave Hall wrote:

Reply to
brianlanning

The I10 in Victorville? The 10 would be about 30 miles to the south of Victorville, through San Berdoo.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

Well I have to admit to never having stayed at a hotel with a bellhop.

Another place were

I do tip at buffets, but like you it is a smaller amount than at a full service place.

I have only taken a cab a few times and always tipped, but that may be because I drove a cab for a year or so as a third job while in college and it was definitely the worst job I have ever had.

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

Everyone who's ever been a cab drivers says that. I think it would be a cool job to have for a short while. You'd meet a lot of people while learning the streets *really* well. You probably see a lot of weird stuff though. I guess it's easy to burn out quickly.

I just finished a year long contract in downtown chicago. The client was in such a bad location that I had to take a cab almost every day to go to lunch.

brian

Dave Hall wrote:

Reply to
brianlanning

I'd like to drive "Cash Cab".

Reply to
B A R R Y

I see. Never has been a problem for me though.

Reply to
Leon

OK, now you are changing the circumstances. With rain, fog, ice, etc, sure, you have to slow down. I'm talking about normal daylight dry conditions.

No, I don't have to drive fast, it is a choice I make. My normal commute is

10 mile of highway at +5, another 10 miles of secondary at +5, another few miles of a different secondary at +15. It does not matter if I'm early or late, I drive the same way.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Oh my, now you have me scared. Truth is, once you gave me the finger, I'd be too shook up to drive further. I'd just pull over and try to compose myself and continue on at a very slow pace. Wow, It would probably take me a very long time to recover.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Going 65 would not have been a big deal, but yes, this is excessive for anyone. He deserves a stiff jail sentence.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

leg instead of his foot, the lower leg being the shank, and the ball wobbling off randomly to one side or the other with much less height and distance than normal. But maybe football took the term from golf?

Reply to
John Santos

There are times that the speed limit is near the real road limit.

There is also a big difference between driving a little over the speed limit and driving irresponsibly or recklessly. I don't weave in and out of traffic, nor do I drive in an unsafe manner as my driving record will bear out.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:nG1Dg.1$ha1.0@trndny03:

:-).........you could pull into the nearest bar and have a Coke/whiskey to settle the nerves after being flashed the number 1 sign. It's cool. Yeah I should have previously mentioned the mountain road's tendency to ice up on winter mornings. I would have thrown down with the truck's redneck driver, but he had 2 dudes with him. Even my 3 years of Brazilian Jiu- Jitsu wouldn't have helped much. I would have broken someone's arm but would have had my head pummeled by the other 2 inbreds. One-on-one would have been a breeze, though. But hillbilly rednecks don't fight fair. I suppose I could have crashed into their truck. In that film "Ode to Billy Joe", the scene where the Ford and Chevy trucks are pushing each other on the bridge is pretty cool. late 40's/early 50's Chevy versus same era Ford.

Reply to
grappletech

Tue, Aug 8, 2006, 2:10pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@ruckover.com (James=A0E.=A0Cannon) doth query: I've decided that this is on-topic for this NG since many of us order large tools that have to be delivered freight. When a truck driver drops a pallet in your garage, is he expecting a tip? How much? What do you think?

If he drops off, then no, it's his job; that's what he's paid to do.

However, if the guy went out of his way to assist me in some way, doing something that is obviously "not" part of his job, then yes, I would consider a tip appropriate.

JOAT Teamwork is very important. It gives you someone to blame.

Reply to
J T

When I drove the cab the shift was mostly from mid-night to 8:00 am in a fairly small West Virginia college town (Morgantown). This was a truly crappy shift that mostly got me bums and drunks or drunk bums. I never knew that the government gave out transportation vouchers to bums before as part of their welfare. Needless to say, the Government didn't tip and neither did the bums or drunken bums. Some of the plain old drunks did. That was almost 30 years ago and just thinking about it brings back some disgusting feelings. Man, I hated that job, but I guess it put food on the table for the wife and kids while I was in school.

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

Dave Hall wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

WTF?!?!?! How many transportation vouchers did they get? Did you see the same drunkasses weekly, each time with a voucher? F_____g ridiculous. Our tax dollars at work. These drug and/or alcohol addicted losers now get the full gamut of the welfare teat -- SSI or Social Security Disability, Section 8 housing (sometimes live in brand new houses), Medicaid, food stamps, etc.. I knew a guy who dropped tons of acid in the 1970's as a teenager and blew a gasket or 2 (but seems ok now). He's in his 40's now, never had a job, and has been on the welfare teat since he was 18. He was moaning about "only" getting a $900/month welfare check in California (CA supplements the standard $500/month federal SSI check with an extra $400). I told him he oughtta get off the welfare teat and get a job.

Reply to
grappletech

I have worked as a receiver, and have supervised receivers for a large company for many years, no company ever tips a freight driver. Now if you are having a delivery to your house and the drive goes over and above in the way of service taking the time to help you off the truck and moves it around and positions it carefully in a garage, you may want to drop a tip, or at least a cold drink in summer, hot in winter. Avoid beer as he is driving. Drivers who refuse to cross the curb or even touch the merchandise, would not even qualify for a thanks, even though they may be entirely within their rights.

Reply to
EXT

Yeah... Kinda makes me want to avoid any deliveries. Union or no, you're paid to deliver things. So do your job. Nobody wants to pay a couple hundred bucks to have something delivered so that you can walk around with a stick up your ass because you wanted more than you got.

Reply to
Prometheus

Steve,

I don't know what constitutes a PITA for you, but I don't make much money at my day job- in fact, every major (and most minor) tool purchases I've ever made came from doing extra work on nights and weekends. It took 9 weeks of working 5 ten hour days at my regular job and 2 additional 14 hour days a week doing remodeling on the side for me to buy my lathe and tablesaw. Now, I didn't get them delievered because the charges cost too much for my budget- but if I had, I would not only have had to pay a company a day's wages, but also try and get 500 pounds of cast iron off the back of a semi in each case while the driver sat and thought about was an ass I was for not having a forklift in my garage for that once-every-5-years delivery.

The long and short of it is that getting the stuff delievered hurts enough- without some asshole trying to wreck the stuff you busted your hump for. Like I said, I don't know what you're considering a PITA, but your attitude is completely nuts. It's not that I *won't* tip a driver- but after paying a grand for a tool, and another $200 to have someone deliver it, sometimes people *can't* tip. That's not being an jerk, that's trying to make sure you can eat that week.

Reply to
Prometheus