Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

Page 9 of 10

wrote:> Well, in all the restaurants I ever cooked in neither I nor any other

I have a nephew that was working to become a Su Chef and had been in the business since the early 90's until recently. When I asked him several years ago about tips for the cooking staff he simply laughed. This is in Houston.
Leon wrote:

Depends on managerial policy. Some places the waiter keeps the tip, others they are pooled and divvied with percentages going to staff other than the cook. Places that have a maitre'd and a sommelier are more likely to work this way than are those in which there is one server to a customer.
I always assume that they are divvied if it makes a difference and have been known to give written instructions as to who gets what. If you're not sure then ask.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
henry wrote:

No, if it's a buffet, a lot of people think like you and stiff them. I worked at a place like that in college. A group of six comes in and stuffs their faces. You spend 30 minutes refilling their drinks and they leave you a dollar. Keep in mind that some restuarants report tip income as a percentage of sales the waiter has.
Also, consider that many buffet's are "budget" type restuarants where cheap bastards eat and the tips are poor.
Give them a full tip at a buffet restuarant.

I tip at the buffet, cab driver, pizza delivery, bell hop, bartender, belly dancer, carolers, maid. But, I have never tipped a freight delivery driver, UPS, nor FedEx.
James, Read most of the 'answers' to date . . . boy, are 'we' a cynical bunch !!
The definition of 'tip' - to me at least, in a restaurant environment - has been 'To Insure Promptness'. I do agree that many people EXPECT a 'tip', and even almost DEMAND it, though the service given was/is piss-poor.
While I admit to being a 'Certified' cheapskate, if your ENTIRE statement is true - I would definitely offer some kind of tip.Disregarding the UPS / FedEx types . . . your 'industrial' trucker is typically a 'drive & dump' when it comes to residential deliveries. His responsibility ends when the 'liftgate' touches the street. If the person maneuvers the vehicle up to your 'off-street' garage, or uses his or your equipment to move the item from the street to your garage, he is going 'above & beyond'.
For a single 'container' that I could lift or move with a handcart {say a max of about 200 lbs}I start at maybe $5.oo {TOLD you I was Cheap !!} For an entire PALLET - let your conscience be your guide and offer what YOU think it's worth. At the very least offer a cold {or hot} drink. It's up to the delivery person to refuse.
Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop {PS - I worked my way through High School on the back-end of an applience delivery truck . . . learned how to carry refrigerators, on my back, up flights of stairs to narrow for the hand-truck . . . 3rd floor & above !! THEY were usually the MOST tight-fisted and taught me the REAL value of T.I.P !!}

large
can

IMHO, depends. For home delivery, the truck driver is NOT required to do anything but bring the package to the liftgate. It's your responsibility from there. That said, in every case when I've had a heavy delivery to my home, the driver has taken it from the truck and wheeled it up the driveway into my garage. I usually meet them with a hand truck and am prepared to schlep it around but never have I had to. In this case, I always give the driver a tip - usually $10.
Business delivery? No way - that's their job and they get paid well.
Just MHO,
Vic

I dont know if you're supposed to, but when the guy delivered my Unisaw, he did a good job and I gave him $20. I dont think he was expecting it. I personally tip the guys when they make a large delivery. It's pretty hot here in Houston and they usually work hard. It feels good to bless some one. And everyone likes to be appreciated. You never know what they may do for the next person that day.
Darrell

It depends.
I just retired as a Teamster with 37 years in my local union.
Freight rates are high. One pays dearly to have things transported from point A to point B.
For that charge, some things are provided and expected.
BUT ................
certain things are not.
If a driver gets to a destination, and there is a load of sacks of flour, he is not expected to unload it. If there is a long waiting time, he is not expected to wait. He has a schedule to maintain, and he has to stick to it. End users are expected to provide the means or labor to unload freight.
So, the short answer is .............. it depends.
If all there is to delivery is to simply drop the box in your driveway (well, use the tail lift), no tip. If you want the box placed somewhere special and you want to save yourself a couple of hours, sore muscles and possible hernia, a tip is worth it. Usually any service out of the ordinary, or a really good job gets a tip. That tip mostly depends on attitude. If it is at a dock where all they do is drive up, and someone pallet jacks it off, no tip.
Most drivers disdain household deliveries as they usually involve doing more than is actually required of them in the scope of their employment.
In those cases, a little grease works wonders.
Steve

These type workers are in every work place. Some are protected by the union and do just what is required. Some see that the home owner is going to work his butt off and may choose to lend assistance with a pallet jack and 3 to 5 minutes more of his time and promote good will towards his company. The driver, like it or not, union or not, is the person that is going to leave the biggest impression with the most important person, the customer. Keeping in mind that the customer has paid a premium to have the goods set on the ground a little extra effort by the driver promotes customer loyalty. Should the customer offer a tip? Yes if the driver puts out more effort than a minimal good will coutrisy jesture. Rolling the goods 20' up a drive way on a pallet jack, NO. The tip should be offered if the driver put forth a more serious effort on his part rather than if he saved the customer a lot of work. I like to call that a courtesy towards the person that helps put money in your pocket.
I had a BS delivered on a lift gate truck and I paid a premium for this service. The driver sat in front of my house 10 minutes before getting out of the truck. I asked if he would be kind oenough to put the pallet in my garage 20' away. The graciousely said yes followed with the comment that it was the least he could do. I offerd a tip and he declined with hte comment that I had probably paid enough already. He got back in the truck and sat for 10 minutes more and then left.
This truck driver BTY was a Katrina displaced resident of Lousiana and told me that he was very fortunate to have a job.
On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 14:10:52 -0500, "James E. Cannon"

It depends on the driver for me.
Many suppliers (i.e. Grizzly, etc) state on the website that the freight service is roadside drop. So when the driver helps me get the stuff to my shop I tip him. If he is a cranky old Basxxxx who just drops it at the roadside then I don't. And, of course, I always ask- *Do you post or D/L copyrighted material*
If he says *What?*....or *No*......I tip.

There you go, LOL.
After reading the entire thread, I'm sort of shocked by most of the opinions.
It's likely that I'm making a lot more than the delivery guy. So for me, $20 to make his day and to encourage him to place the machine in my garage and wait for me to unpack it is a small price to pay. I know for a lot of people cash is (their) king. But for me, I never let it get in the way of treating people right. For me, the $20 is not too significant, i'll never miss it, and probably means more to the delivery guy that it does to me. And before you think I was born in to money or something, I was the child of a single mother in a trailer park and took seven years to pay my own way through college while working two jobs and raising three children.
As for the restaurant, I try to leave 20% unless I have to get my own food, then it's less.
If you want to see the power of tipping, consider this: I have soon to be nine children. When I take most of them to a restaurant I've never been to, the waitresses fight because no one wants our table. But if I tip my normal 20%, the next time, they fight because they want our table.
The same is true for the delivery guy. If I continue to buy grizzly machines, there's a good chance that the same saia delivery guy will bring me the machine. In the past, I could tell that some of the drivers were jealous of my shop, either because of things they said, or just the look on their face. I think the $20 in this case does several things. From an interpersonal relationship standpoint, it ensures that they'll remember me the next time. It (most likely) ensures good service this time. It brightens their day. And from a practical standpoint, it may prevent them from showing up at 3am to clean out the shop.
You might view this as an extortion payment, but I tend to think of it as good people skills.
James E. Cannon wrote:

I don't think they're expecting it. I give them a $20.

UPS is different.

I agree when it's not clear what the rules are. Russia is a tipping culture and I had nothing but problems there. The translator said restaurants are 10%, I left more because it felt wrong. The bellhop in moscow thought I was a cheapskate for tipping him $5.
brian

I agree.
Steve
I guess I may be in a minority here. I don't seem to `know who should be tipped outside of restaurants. I don't tip lawyers or accountants. I don't tip police or firefighters. I don't tip the lady at the DMV that takes my picture. I don't tip the cashier at K-Mart. I would never have even thought of tipping a truck driver before this thread. Nobody has ever offered to tip me for getting out payroll on time, paying vendors or submitting financial statements (let alone for collecting their taxes). I really don't get the concept of having to pay extra to get people to do the job that they get a paycheck for doing. Just to show that I don't have consistency in my "philosphy", I always holiday tipped the newspaper delivery boy or girl when they still had newspaper delivery boys and girls (I have never tipped the adult that drives past heaving out newspapers, though).
Dave Hall

Forget about tipping in a restaurant, everyone knows to tip there except for really shoddy service, just as they know to tip extra for exceptional service.
If someone (whom I don't know) does something for me that saves me considerable effort from having do it myself, then I consider tipping. If the person that helps me is making grandiose amounts of money doing their job, then I don't consider tipping, but will keep in mind that I'm obligated to them in some fashion.
In most cases, you know if someone is making good money or not. The truck driver bringing your big iron doesn't make fantastic amounts of money doing his job, so you know that if he does something voluntarily that saves you effort, that it's a good idea to show your appreciation. It's all a matter of showing your appreciation and deciding if money is a suitable method for showing that appreciation. If not, then you express appreciation some other way.
I guess the determining factor for me is whether they do something more than what is required by their paycheck. For the delivery people, all they're really required to do is drop it at the curb, then wait for you to sign the form saying there's no damage. That usually involves only a visual inspection of the outside of the container. Anyone who's shipped big machines can tell you that there may be damage inside though. So when a driver drops the 400+lb machine in my garage/shop right where I want it, then waits around for me to get through the packaging material and inspect all the pieces, I think that warrants a tip. At the very least, it will stop them from complaining about the extra 15 or 20 minutes to get everything apart.
As a side note, I don't like to tip bellhops, but I do it anyway. I think they're just doing their normal job. But I know they're making minimum wage so I don't feel too bad about it. Another place were tipping annoys me is in buffets. Part of a waitresses job is to bring me my food. If I have to get up and fetch my own food, that means the waitress isn't earning their tip. Sometimes, at our local old crusty buffet, the waitresses try to bring our drinks. But that annoys me also since we have a very specific way of getting them which is difficult to explain. Since i'm already up, I'd just prefer to get them myself. We still tip them, but it's not the whole 20% that we would do at a normal restaurant. The waitresses also buss the table so I think they should get something. I also notice that most people at the buffet don't tip at all.
Same for cab drivers. I don't like to tip them, but I do it anyway.
brian
Dave Hall wrote:

Well I have to admit to never having stayed at a hotel with a bellhop.
Another place were

I do tip at buffets, but like you it is a smaller amount than at a full service place.

I have only taken a cab a few times and always tipped, but that may be because I drove a cab for a year or so as a third job while in college and it was definitely the worst job I have ever had.
Dave Hall

Everyone who's ever been a cab drivers says that. I think it would be a cool job to have for a short while. You'd meet a lot of people while learning the streets *really* well. You probably see a lot of weird stuff though. I guess it's easy to burn out quickly.
I just finished a year long contract in downtown chicago. The client was in such a bad location that I had to take a cab almost every day to go to lunch.
brian
Dave Hall wrote:

brianlanning wrote:

I'd like to drive "Cash Cab".
When I drove the cab the shift was mostly from mid-night to 8:00 am in a fairly small West Virginia college town (Morgantown). This was a truly crappy shift that mostly got me bums and drunks or drunk bums. I never knew that the government gave out transportation vouchers to bums before as part of their welfare. Needless to say, the Government didn't tip and neither did the bums or drunken bums. Some of the plain old drunks did. That was almost 30 years ago and just thinking about it brings back some disgusting feelings. Man, I hated that job, but I guess it put food on the table for the wife and kids while I was in school.
Dave Hall