Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

Page 8 of 10

Locutus wrote:

I dunno; parents are way too permissive from what I've seen in public with kids cursing, standing on restaurant tables and the parents act totally oblivious. I would have been drawn and quartered if I'd done 1/2 of what the little brats today get away with on a regular basis. Look at Supernanny or Nanny 911 to get a glimpse of todays little monsters and their pathetically inept parents.
Dave
wrote in message

I would agree with you there, but none of those things were ever "criminal". If anything, a lot of things that are criminal today were not 30 years ago.

Why do you suppose there are more criminal laws today than 30 years ago????

Exactly. So to say that we have become more tolerant of crime and that is the reason crime is down is absurd.

Could the crime rate be "down" because now there are so many criminals in the system that they plea bargain every offense down?
In your town alone, how many criminals have gotten off light, or had their offense pled down, and gone free with time served?
That is why the figures are down. The formula has been changed.
You can find statistics to support any conclusion.
Steve

As the parent of a 2nd grader, and who is active in our neighborhood elementary school (middle to lower income families with a good percentage hispanic), plus live across the street from a city playground/park, I can say the vast majority of kids behave as we would expect them to - polite, mannered and good all around kids. I've seen nothing of the sort of bad behavior you are relating. Occasionally I've witnessed a melt-down, inappropriate behavior or foul language but by and large the instances are rare.
Don't get too fixated up on believing that what you see on TV is commonplace. The programs like Supernanny wouldn't exist if the scenarios were not over-the-top - likewise with the "news magazine" segments.
You know how, when you are interested in a buying a certain vehicle, you spot that car "all over the place"? It's not that they weren't there all the time, it's just that you are now focusing your attention on looking for them. I believe the same is true of most things - if you are looking for poor behavior, you'll spot it. You'll become overly critical and judgmental since it's something you dislike - generalizing that kids today are out of control merely because you have become fixated on every instance you can spot.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

I only notice the kids in public that are acting up. What galls me is the parents give-a-shit attitude, like their kids behavior is fine and dandy. would you eat at a table where you just witness 2 kids JUMPING all over the table with their dirty shoes? The kids don't respect the parents and I doubt the parents have much self respect either. My kid would never have even THOUGHT about acting like such a hellion, much less that I'd have to punish such behavior.
Dave
message wrote: | | |<snip> | | I believe the same is true of most things - if you are looking | for poor behavior, you'll spot it. You'll become overly critical and | judgmental since it's something you dislike - generalizing that kids | today are out of control merely because you have become fixated |on every instance you can spot. | -- | Owen Lowe | The Fly-by-Night Copper Company | _________ | | There is no "W" in Leadership.
I'm not sure I agree. But, then maybe I do.
When you turn off the TV news, focus only on the Sports section of the newspaper, cut some wood, socialize with your family, friends and neighbors, the kids you know aren't bad at all. (NIMBY)
But the kids in another neighborhood, another city, another state are the ones with poor grades and juvenile records. So let us just raise taxes and pass laws
Jack
-- But I'm not paranoid but they are after me.

Or build more prisons, start more intervention programs...
But then, how about let's concentrate our attention and mentoring with our own neighborhood's kids instead of criticizing those across town, in another state or country. Get involved with kids in *your* local school, sports, your library reading program, etc. - you'll be richly rewarded and you'll be a positive influence on their lives. I think you'll (generically speaking) find you have little to complain about once you get to know them - besides, it's great when they see you out and about and enthusiastically come up to greet you - that's when you know you're making a difference.
Try it out for an hour a week - I bet you'll be looking to put in more time in short order.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
wrote in message

I'll have to beliece that you hit the nail on the head. Spanking your child was probably considered a crime.

You have seen NOTHING in the way of paddling unless you have visited foreign countries where caning is allowed.
It is administered with a wet piece of cane about 1/4" in diameter and about five feet long. If the person administering the caning is thought to hold back, he gets twice the number of lashes. They swing for the cheap seats, believe me.
They do it on bare hindsides and backs. The backs of the thighs. People being whipped scream and dance from foot to foot. They void all over themselves. Their screams are every bit as piercing as any two year old girl's.
And most don't repeat the experiences.
Too bad it is not used in the US.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Hurts, but if the cane is swung too vigorously it can do serious injury--if the caner gets too vigorous then the doctor stops the show. And it's not really all that much worse than a good paddling with a wooden paddle.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

On guys who won't do their jobs, I'd hope.

Yeah. Glad I'm retired.
Steve
Here is a Rant, if you do not want to read it, just go on to the next message.
When I have bad service from a waitress, I do not have to wait until I am leaving the restaurant to speak to a manager. I have gone up to the manager and asked for what I wanted for my table telling him that my waitress was nowhere to be found, or whatever they were doing. It is amazing how fast the service improves.
And as for a manager who is indifferent, a letter to the owner of the restaurant, or to the President of the chain that owns the restaurant, usually results in at least an attitude correction of the manager, or a replacement of the manager. It really is amazing the things that happens when the complaint works its way down instead of up.
My letters have resulted in more than one manager change, and that includes all kinds of businesses, not just in restaurants. Just give the very top officers of a company documentation of how a manager is mistreating the customers, or give them just a hint of what some of these yo-yos are suggesting that they can, and will, do if they cannot extort protection money out of someone, and they will be history, gone and buried.
Now, as for giving tips for service. When I make a contract, I see to it that all charges for what services that I will receive is spelled out in writing. Non of this he said, they said stuff. If my contract calls for them to set my shipment on the ground, then that is what they had better do, and no extra hidden charge. I don't care if the delivery person has to pick up a 500 lb. package and jump down to the street level without damaging it, that is their problem how they get it down to the street level to fulfill the contract. But when that delivery person goes beyond what the contract calls for, they I do believe in offering them a tip. Some will take it, some won't.
A tip or gratuity is for service over and above what has been contracted for. In a restaurant, for the price on the menu, it is a normal contract between the customer and the management that for a fixed price there will be the table set accordingly, the food and drinks delivered to the table. Now if that is all that the waitress does then why should I pay her for exactly what the restaurant is paying her. After all that is what she agreed to work for. Just as what you, or I, agree to work for on any job, If we do not like the pay, then leave for a better paying job. I do not expect tips when I fix your car, and I do not expect tips when I fix your airplane, and I do not expect tips when I cut your grass that you contracted with me to do. I set my price. Period.
Do I give tips? Absolutely I have and will, when I receive good service over and above what is contracted for. I have given as much as a 100% tip on one occasion, for the waitress was worth every cent. And another who on her asking what else she could do for us, I said Jokingly for her to give me the money to pay for the meal, upon which she dug into her tip pocket and put a handful of money on my table then walked away. You can be sure that she not only got back every penny but also more than double what she laid on the table.
If you want a tip from me, you are going to have to do more than just what the contract says. I do not give just because you expect it. My money is hard to come by, maybe even harder to come by than that they have earned. I grew up in an era when people took pride in whatever work that they did. While there are still some of you out there who still has that work ethic, it is becoming as rare as hen's teeth. I see too many today who believes that everyone should pay them for doing nothing. I know that you see they too.
When I was growing up, if I mis behaved in public, I got a size 10 hand on my size 4 bottom in a big hurry, and it did not have to be applied very often. Today obnoxious children in a restaurant is common. so common that when I see parents in a restaurant who have well behaved children, I always go up to them and thank them for their well behaved children.
So much for the RANT. If you feel that you should double everyones pay, then throw some my way, I would appreciate a little help to go along with my SS.
Zap
Steve B wrote:

Steve B wrote:

You mean that you didn't arrange for your teamster buddies to lose their next order of tacos?
As for her attitude, I suspect based on the general attitude that you have expressed here that what she was thinking and didn't say was "Thank God I'm not going to have to put up with _this_ jerk anymore".

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Steve B wrote:

What do you expect her to do though? The manager can't spank the kids.
Why didn't you ask to be moved to another table?
Her attitude was "whatever" because she hears that threat from people like you 5 times a shift. The funny thing is, that most people who threaten that do come back. LOL.
In the end, your meal two times a month doesn't make much of a difference. Interesting how you complained about PITA customers when you delivered frieght, and now you were a PITA customer to the manager. What exactly did you expect her to do? Throw out the family with kids to appease a customer that's threatened to never come back?
henry wrote:

If the food is lousy it's not the waiter's fault, but part of the tip usually goes to the cook (you think the waiter gets to keep it all?).
I don't have a problem with leaving a tip. I _do_ have a problem with being told that I _must_ leave a tip of a certain amount, especially when the service sucks (which it usually does in places where they attempt to force you to tip). If the management wants the staff to have a 15% raise they should raise their prices 15% and then pay them.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 06:51:22 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Well, in all the restaurants I ever cooked in neither I nor any other person in the kitchen ever saw a penny of the tips. The waiters in one place used to moan about only making $20-$30 an hour in tips (back in the 70's!) while as the lead line cook I only made about $6.
If the food is bad tell the server and have them pass the gripe on to the cook. If the service is bad tell the server and minimize the tip. If they're both bad tell the manager and don't tip anyone. -- "We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Yes. Cocktail waitresses tip their bartenders. Waiters may kick a little to the maitre d'. But I never heard of the cook getting in on the tips. Anywhere.
YMMV.
Steve