Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

I tip at the buffet, cab driver, pizza delivery, bell hop, bartender, belly dancer, carolers, maid. But, I have never tipped a freight delivery driver, UPS, nor FedEx.

Reply to
Phisherman

Forget about tipping in a restaurant, everyone knows to tip there except for really shoddy service, just as they know to tip extra for exceptional service.

If someone (whom I don't know) does something for me that saves me considerable effort from having do it myself, then I consider tipping. If the person that helps me is making grandiose amounts of money doing their job, then I don't consider tipping, but will keep in mind that I'm obligated to them in some fashion.

In most cases, you know if someone is making good money or not. The truck driver bringing your big iron doesn't make fantastic amounts of money doing his job, so you know that if he does something voluntarily that saves you effort, that it's a good idea to show your appreciation. It's all a matter of showing your appreciation and deciding if money is a suitable method for showing that appreciation. If not, then you express appreciation some other way.

Reply to
Upscale

Combination of nature and nurture results in bad behaving brats; kids end up like the parents. If you were to confront the parents, they'd probably laugh at you or tell you to go to hell or tell you to mind your own business. But in a civilized society, parents raising hellions/brats is everyone's business. Because we're going to be the ones paying for a lot of these brats when they get older. When they get knocked up by other losers and then get on welfare/section 8/ssi/food stamps/medicaid, etc.. Or if they go nuts or get on drugs, then they'll be declared "mentally ill" and get an SSI check/Medicaid/Section 8 monthly. Bad parenting costs taxpayers lots of money.

Reply to
grappletech

I was coming down a tight, twisting mountain road with huge cliffs. I was going the speed limit, 35mph. Some rednecks in a beat up old Chevy truck rush right up to my back bumper and stay there all the way down. I mean like 10 feet behind me. So I roll down my window and flip them the universal sign for "you're number 1." They took offense, burned rubber, sped around me, got in front of me and started slowing way down. When we were at about 10mph, they drove over to the shoulder and stopped and 3 shirtless inbreds jumped out. I drove over to the shoulder also (in front of them) but didn't stop completely. Then I just floored it and threw a lot of dirt back at them! It was classic. Then I sped down the rest of the mountain, not too far to go, and took off. Don't you hate when someone else makes the driving error, you call them on it, and THEY take offense! Like they're the ones who were following the safety/road rules.

Reply to
grappletech

Could the crime rate be "down" because now there are so many criminals in the system that they plea bargain every offense down?

In your town alone, how many criminals have gotten off light, or had their offense pled down, and gone free with time served?

That is why the figures are down. The formula has been changed.

You can find statistics to support any conclusion.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Only if it immobilizes you to the point that you cannot then go and do the right thing.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Yeah. And I don't see a lot of old folks homes for pirates, gangsters, or badasses, either.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"bf" wrote

Makes about as much sense as insulting your barber during a haircut, doesn't it?

And yet, there are those who will do it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I think there needs to be a study done to determine why idiots are so fertile. Maybe because they don't work a lot, and have lots of time on their hands to screw?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

HUH?

Reply to
Leon

Musta been a property stake error.

Reply to
Leon

Unfortunately most people look the other way and later wonder why the world is the way it is.

Reply to
Leon

Or build more prisons, start more intervention programs...

But then, how about let's concentrate our attention and mentoring with our own neighborhood's kids instead of criticizing those across town, in another state or country. Get involved with kids in *your* local school, sports, your library reading program, etc. - you'll be richly rewarded and you'll be a positive influence on their lives. I think you'll (generically speaking) find you have little to complain about once you get to know them - besides, it's great when they see you out and about and enthusiastically come up to greet you - that's when you know you're making a difference.

Try it out for an hour a week - I bet you'll be looking to put in more time in short order.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

People overthink things. "What will the other person think?" "How will I look if I do this or that?" So, they do nothing, because they are immobilized. They do nothing. When deep down inside they know the right thing to do, but can't because they are restrained by the "what ifs" placed on them.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

If you were doing the speed limit, I'd probably be riding on your ass too. I hate it when people creep along like that.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:7uRCg.5730$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

Did you read what I had written? I was coming down a dangerous mountain with tight, twisting turns and high cliffs. I was going the speed limit. And chances are, if I weren't there, the truck wouldn't have gone too much over the speed limit himself; he was just being an ass by riding my bumper. So I let him know about it. It was only 1.5 miles coming down that mountain, the SOB in the truck should have been content to stay at the speed limit and probably was, but again he had to be an ass and tailgate me. People who rush up on people, tailgate, and stay there are asses, plain and simple. I think you're describing a different type situation: like being behind some person driving 15mph in a 25mph or something in a one-lane residential area.

Reply to
grappletech

Yes, I read it. My answer stands. If the speed limit is 35, you won't go over the cliff at 36. Yes, I've driven on twisting mountain roads. If the posted speed is X, you can usually safely drive a X+10 mph

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Usually"? What happens in the "unusual" cases?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:2NSCg.7665$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

So you would tailgate someone who's going down a steep hill at the speed limit? Dude, if you did that to me, I'd flash you the "you're number

1" sign, and if you pulled over to the shoulder and got out, you'd have problems. Major problems. The guy in the truck would have had a major problem, but he had 2 of his fellow rednecks with him, so I didn't stop. :-)
Reply to
grappletech

"Steve B" wrote in news:6QSCg.164$rT5.57@fed1read01:

Yeah, what this Edwin dude doesn't realize (and I had forgotten to mention) that this particular twisty mountain road with high cliffs was prone, in the winter mornings which this was, to developing black ice. Hyper-aggressive driving knuckleheads often kill innocent drivers, all so they can get to wherever they're going a few minutes faster. Ever hear of leaving your house on time? So you don't have to speed?

Reply to
grappletech