Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

Page 7 of 10

The night the OBNOXIOUS children ruined our dinner, I asked the manager, "What would happen if I was unruly and ran around screaming?"
She said, "I would call the police."
What is the difference?
Steve
Steve B wrote:

A child acting like a child is normal. An adult acting like a child has something wrong with him at best.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

A child running through a restaurant screaming is normal behavior?
Not in my family. It is unacceptable behavior that is promptly addressed.
Steve

Not in a restraunt or a place that they are disruptive. Yelling and screaming out side with other kids is normal. Yelling and screaming in a restaurant is a sign of wimp parents with no regard for others.
wrote

Both. The parents for allowing it, and the restaurant for allowing it.
I like California for the following reason, although it is the only one that comes to mind:
In restaurants the signs read something like this:
If your children are unruly, we will ask you to leave. We value the patronage of the highest numbers of customers.
I saw that BTW, in a restaurant on I10 in Victorville.
Steve
Steve B wrote: <SNIP>

The I10 in Victorville? The 10 would be about 30 miles to the south of Victorville, through San Berdoo.
Glen
wrote

He never said he didn't like kids. I'm sure he loves kids. I'd be mad too -- trying to eat and having to put up with screaming kids. The parents should reign in their brats, and the manager should have AT LEAST asked the parents to settle their kids down for the comfort of other diners. When I was a kid, I never acted up in public because if I did I would have my butt whipped. Man, discipline is disappearing. Isn't it? I attended both Texas and California schools throughout the 1970's/1980's (divorced parents). In Texas, if someone gave the teacher continual lip/disrespect/talking/disrupting, etc., one of the Vice Principals would come down and swat their asses out in the hall. Guess what? It works. I RARELY saw any bad behavior in TX schools. In CA, where there was no paddling, the bully kids ran the classrooms. I remember in TX in middle school, a 16 year old bully (he flunked 3 times), was giving the teacher lip. The vice Principal came to fetch him. The kid, a large fat kid, wouldn't leave, so the Vice Principal/football coach dragged the kid out by his arms into the hallway and paddled his ass hard. The kid was crying. He quit acting up though. paddling equals physical pain and humiliation, something kids don't want to have done to them twice. Hey, a nice project would be to make a paddle and engrave "Justice" on it! Of course, drill holes in it.
-

I attended both Texas and California schools throughout the

I went to Texas schools in the 60's and early 70's. I can attest that the paddle kept every thing in check. The 3' paddle with holes drilled in it would literally lift you up of your feet and it contacted your behind side.
My son grafuated from HS here in Houston in 2005 and I can tell you that for a long time now that the paddle is now a legend.
Very unfortunate.
Leon wrote:

Constitutes "child abuse" in some jurisdictions.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Leon wrote:

Let my fingers get away from me on the previous reply.
Constitutes "child abuse" in some jurisdictions. School officials can lose their jobs over it.
On the other hand, saw a documentary about Jackie Chan, the most famous actor in Asia (not to mention being a first class producer, director, stunt man, and fight choreographer), who was paddled regularly (and in Hong Kong apparently it's a pants down paddling with something that looks like a cricket bat) and attributes much of his success later in life to those paddlings.
A problem with contemporary American society is that we confuse "hurt" and "harm" and "harming" a child is anathema so so is "hurting" one even if doing so will help avoid him harming himself or others later.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

There are those these days with moral conflicts about paddling their children or letting some one else take charge in the parents absence. As a result, see see higher crime rates. Some one needs to help teach our children right from wrong and it is a 24 hour a day job. School officials can indeed loose their jobs and that too is a damn shame. Discipline with a witnesses should be allowed. I would much rather see our children grow up to have a respect for the law and to be good citizens. IMHO child abuse is letting a child grow up with no respect for right and wrong.

Crime rates have been steadily declining over the past 20 years....

whole certainly up an especially in New Orleans and Houston.
Leon wrote:

New Orleans and Houston are not "a whole". Violent crime in the United States has declined about 35 percent since 1991. <http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm .
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Well I stand corrected then. Where it is down I suspect the kids were properly disciplined.

Actually, if you read the book Freakonomics, it is down where the kids were aborted. Don't know if it's true or not, but it's definitely an interesting theory.

The US as a whole.
http://usinfo.state.gov/eur/Archive/2005/Sep/29-519328.html

Can you provide cites? And what country is that?
Steve

Sure, we've redefined crimes. Society now accepts bad behavior
wrote in message

c'mon.. that is not true at all.