Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

Page 4 of 10

If you did, you never knew it. Freight crews are generally an pretty tight and independent lot.
Destruction derby? WTF does that mean? I'm happily retired.
Steve

And that can happen. I had some Kraftmaid cabinet delivered once. They did a good job and I tipped the guys nicely. The cabinet were damaged and they had to make a return trip. There were very nice and helpful the second trip.
Darrell

I always pick mine up at the depot. Should they tip me?
writes:

If you picking the items up at the Depot, NO. They should however give you better pricing up front if you are paying for delivery to you house pricing.
James E. Cannon wrote:

My opinion...if he puts something in the garage, probably some sort of tip would be expected. I guess my rule for big-box deliveries is to tip for any service beyond what was contracted for.
In other words, if it's a long-distance motor-freight delivery to a residence, and I haven't paid for a liftgate, and yet the driver shows up with one anyway, yeah, I'd tip for that. If it's a local consumer-oriented store using his delivery truck, and he obviously knows it's to a residence, well I've already paid for that in the delivery charge, so no. If, however, either driver helps me get the box where it needs to go, I'd probably tip. Even if he rolls it up the driveway into the garage, I'd probably give him a very small tip.
Normally the contracts call for "curbside" delivery because their trucks could crack your driveway and they won't accept the liability. So if the driver takes it beyond the curbside, yeah, I'd probably give him something, even if it's just five bucks.

Wait till you get the bill from the truck line for that liftgate! Watkins Trucking delivered a crate of MDF cabinet doors I had ordered from Lakeside Moulding in Mississippi. It was freight "PREPAID." I met the driver at the rear of the truck in the street in front of my house and he lowered the crate onto my flatbed dolly using the liftgate. The bill came the next week. $57+ (fifty-something cents a pound) for the liftgate! How else would one suppose it the merchandise gets from the bed of the truck to the ground? Nest time, assuming there is a next time I just have the driver shove it out the back, then file a damage claim.
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

New Wave Dave wrote:

Thanks for the guffaw!
I know what you mean...I had to pay the company that delivered my saw another $70 for the liftgate, although there was no additional poundage fee. Considering the "curbside" fee I paid to the mfg was only $80, I was kind of surprised at the amount. But it was contracted up front with the freight company, so there were no "driveway surprises."

The charge was $57 and something computed at fifty-something cents per pound. Is it a Teamster thing?
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

You got a problem with Teamsters?
wrote

Only that I'd like to know what happened to Jimmy Hoffa. (KIDDING, Steve!)
Having spent 25 years with the [now defunct] Suffering Pacific Railroad as a dues paying member of the Brotherhood of Railway, Airline, Steamship Clerks I am certainly aware that if it weren't for unions most people today would not make the scale they do. And, I paid my dues all the years I was a middle management officer. So, in a general sense. I am pro-union. Back to my original post, the liftgate charge just caught me off guard. The order was FREIGHT PREPAID and that additional (and surprising) $57 came directly off the already slim bottom line for the job. I also know how freight tariffs work having spent more than a couple of my railroad years as a rate clerk.
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

wrote

You know, it's funny how a $20 tip can get a driver NOT to charge a $57 liftgate charge and write: Unloaded by customer's forklift. But hey, that would be bribery/extortion according to some people who don't understand simple math.
Steve

And so, what if it is??? Teamsters bring you more than your saw you know. Get a grip!

Yeah, they bring you a Damaged saw.

The standard in the freight industry is that the customer removes the freight from the truck unless you pay extra for a liftgate.
This ain't Fedex Ground or UPS.
Brian Elfert

No, he expects nothing and is paid a decent wage. I find that most drivers are very courteous and try to give good service. Their employers expect them to do this in order to sustain business with good relations. OTOH, if the driver does something above and beyond, sure a 5 or 10 will be appreciated. If he sets it in place in your garage, a $5 bill is probably OK, If he unpacks, sets up the tools, makes test cuts, then go for $10.
the company I worked for paid us .50 above minimum wage that is common down there were we used to live. but the again lol it's all up to the customer :-) Yeah my old bosses were cheap! lol
Al

IMHO It's not a requirement to tip anyone in restaurant or other, the tip is a gratuity to show how much you appreciate what they have done. I have been on both sides here I used to deliver products to homes and businesses. I got and I have given tips, I delivered furniture for a few years and it was really appreciated. For me it depends on the amount of effort or service that the delivery person or service person puts in. I will never go back to Outback for example because they told me that I had to pay at least X amount for a tip. That's crap, if you get good service which we did not but we were going to tip some anyways then you get a good tip. It's a gratuity your saying thanks and how much you appreciate it. In effect it's all up to you. Of coarse this IMHO.
opinions are like A@#wholes everyone has one! Including me :-)
Al

I give 20% to wait staff because I know they make a couple of bucks an hour and depend on it. Not to mention the time setting up or clean up making no tips. If outback gave me lousy food I might resort to 15%. but that is wrong because it proably was the kitchen fault and not the wait staff. The driver on the other hand is making a decent living and not dependent on tips. The house delivery is charged extra. Even UPS charges more for home delivery.Of course some one going the extra mile in service would get a tip. My only confusion is tip at a buffet. I think 10% because they can cover at least twice as many people.
Any freight shipping I have ever priced has several prices. The cheapest is to a business with a loading dock and a means to unload such as a towmotor. The most expensive is to a home that requires a liftgate delivery. This is what most home delivery freight delivery's consist of. You pay a premium price for this and to me requires no tip. I picked up a floor model drill press once at the freight terminal and they charged me for the phone call to come get it and for the part of a day that it sat at their dock. I loaded it myself into my truck with no help.

I don't tip truck drivers unless they have to sit around and wait for a while, if they show up at lunchtime, for instance- then the tip is usually a burger. They make more money than I do anyhow.
Far as the restaurants go, I figure the service has to be really, really poor to justify not leaving a tip. Most of those folks make well below the minimum wage because the employers expect them to be tipped. Don't know if buffets are the same, but I usually give them 20% at the Chinese ones- probably, they're just family employees, but I figure it's worth leaving the tip just in case they owe money to snakeheads. I never see any of those folks anywhere but in the buffet, and it seems a little odd.