Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

I can see you've never been a Teamster union member.

Reply to
Steve B

"J. Clarke" wrote

I'm happily retired. You need to get those rose colored glasses checked for a new strength. Your view of reality does not coincide with the real thing.

Yes, life's not fair, and there's no justice in the world, and some things are just not right. For you to prattle on about such things just shows you must be a Liberal Democrat. These things happen every day.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Screw the manager, I tell the parents face to face and that usually works remarkabley well.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

Yup. And when they become a royal PITA, the profit must be weighed against the aggravation. Sometimes it is actually financially advisable to cease doing business with some people. I was in specialty fabrication, and turned down more than one customer. I usually found that the customer that replaced them was better. My Tylenol and PeptoBismol cost surely went down.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"David" wrote

If you did, you never knew it. Freight crews are generally an pretty tight and independent lot.

Destruction derby? WTF does that mean? I'm happily retired.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Yes. Cocktail waitresses tip their bartenders. Waiters may kick a little to the maitre d'. But I never heard of the cook getting in on the tips. Anywhere.

YMMV.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I have a nephew that was working to become a Su Chef and had been in the business since the early 90's until recently. When I asked him several years ago about tips for the cooking staff he simply laughed. This is in Houston.

Reply to
Leon

It's the managers fault because you don't like kids???

I would have probably shared the opinion of the manager.

Reply to
Locutus

The parents were mirror images of the children.

Reply to
Steve B

Well you can fall into the attitude that you apparently have or had. It certainly is easy. I was there once when I was very young and ran a tire store. I was able to get past it and retired at 40 from the automotive industry. A good and successful salesman or representative has to swallow his pride on occasion and try to see it from his customers point if view. Back in the mid 80's I was the Service Sales Manager for a large Oldsmobile dealer in Houston. We typically saw 350 to 400 customers a week and I would say that probably 20% had a gripe of beef about something and 99.9% of the time the gripe was justified. We had one of the best customer satisfaction ratings in the city and we had a 3rd party contact every customer after we had worked on his car. My service advisors received an extra $500 bonus each month that his customers gave him a 95% or better service satisfaction rating. I got an extra $1000 bonus for each month that the service advisors average score was 95% or better. I never missed that $1000 bonus. With every employee that I hired I explained that the customer is the person that regulates your paycheck. Keep him happy and we both will be happy. Why were 20% of the customers unsatisfied then they came to our dealership? Mostly because they were driving a Detroit built car that no other local dealership could fix.

Reply to
Leon

"Locutus" wrote

Huh? They're running around doing that scream that feels like an ice pick in your ear, and you think I don't like kids?

I have kids.

I have grandkids.

And we don't let them be a PITA to others, and we sure as hell don't let them run all over the place in public establishments acting like screaming heathens.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

If they did, would that be the establishments fault or the parents fault?

Reply to
Locutus

All the more reason to explain proper public behavior to the parents.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

A good and successful salesman or representative has to swallow

I saw a cute cartoon: Man talking to a lady at a complaints desk.

Man says, Lady, if we let you keep the merchandise, refund all your money, AND shoot the salesman, then would you be happy?

Reply to
Steve B

"Locutus" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

He never said he didn't like kids. I'm sure he loves kids. I'd be mad too -- trying to eat and having to put up with screaming kids. The parents should reign in their brats, and the manager should have AT LEAST asked the parents to settle their kids down for the comfort of other diners. When I was a kid, I never acted up in public because if I did I would have my butt whipped. Man, discipline is disappearing. Isn't it? I attended both Texas and California schools throughout the

1970's/1980's (divorced parents). In Texas, if someone gave the teacher continual lip/disrespect/talking/disrupting, etc., one of the Vice Principals would come down and swat their asses out in the hall. Guess what? It works. I RARELY saw any bad behavior in TX schools. In CA, where there was no paddling, the bully kids ran the classrooms. I remember in TX in middle school, a 16 year old bully (he flunked 3 times), was giving the teacher lip. The vice Principal came to fetch him. The kid, a large fat kid, wouldn't leave, so the Vice Principal/football coach dragged the kid out by his arms into the hallway and paddled his ass hard. The kid was crying. He quit acting up though. paddling equals physical pain and humiliation, something kids don't want to have done to them twice. Hey, a nice project would be to make a paddle and engrave "Justice" on it! Of course, drill holes in it.
Reply to
grappletech

Unruly patrons who ruin the experience of other diners should be shown the door, IMHO.

Dave

Reply to
David

LOL...I actually used that tactic on occasion and it really works well. Sometimes coming from left field with a comment defuses the situation. One of my service advisors introduced me to one of his better customers one day. He called me in my office and asked that I come and meet Ms. So n So. The 2 of them were actually in on this little meeting together.

Mr. Leon, I would like you to meet a good customer of mine and let you know that she has been having a problem getting an intermittent problem resolved. I stood there nodding my head and listening and looking at her as he went on to say, Mr. Leon, I told Ms. So n So not to worry as her satisfaction was our goal and that we were going to resolve the problem with her car even if it TOOK EVERY PENNEY THAT SHE HAD. I almost got whip lash as I turned my head and stared directly at my service advisor in disbelief.

Ms. So n So was the first to crack up laughing. She was only there to get an oil change. Whew!

Reply to
Leon

I just send the wife out to show him a bit of cleavage. They usually leave very happy... You should see the pizza delivery boys when she answers the door in her bathing suit. They don't even count the money. :-)

Reply to
Pete Walker

Snip

I attended both Texas and California schools throughout the

I went to Texas schools in the 60's and early 70's. I can attest that the paddle kept every thing in check. The 3' paddle with holes drilled in it would literally lift you up of your feet and it contacted your behind side.

My son grafuated from HS here in Houston in 2005 and I can tell you that for a long time now that the paddle is now a legend.

Very unfortunate.

Reply to
Leon

So Steve, did you consider this to be 'doing your job'? The way I see it, somebody already paid your employer to deliver the freight and your employer has already agreed to pay you for delivering the freight and then you stand there and DON'T DELIVER THE FREIGHT.

I presently AM a Teamster and formerly was a UTU guy (Conrail ... when we lost freight we lost boxcar loads at a time!). It was my job to deliver the freight -on time and in good condition- ... AND THAT'S WHAT I DID.

For my part, if the driver does much more than simply pull up and wait while I unload, then he's probably done something extra and should be slipped a couple extra skins for his effort. But if all he does is sit while I unload and then retaliates the lack of an (unearned) tip, then I'll simply specify a different common carrier with my next order. And he won't get ANY money from my next purchase. Not even his wages.

Times are tough. You want the money? Do the work.

Bill

Reply to
W Canaday