Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

Page 1 of 10

I've decided that this is on-topic for this NG since many of us order large tools that have to be delivered freight.
When a truck driver drops a pallet in your garage, is he expecting a tip? How much? What do you think?
It's never a question with the UPS guy since he is already gone before I can even answer the door, but the freight guy is a different story.
This is why the whole concept of tipping sucks.

I don't think so, and I would doubt that he would accept it. When I was younger I used to work at the service counter of a large computer retailer. Sometimes if people would ask nicely and had a good reason I would try and move their service ticket up. Often they would try and tip me when they picked up their PC, if I would have accepted it, and management found out, I would have been terminated... I know many service companies have similar policies.
locutus snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

IMHO, it's your choice and consider tips as nothing more than wages a customer pays other peoples' help. It's your money; do as you wish. As for me, I figure they're already getting paid by somebody else to do a job. If they don't like their salary, they can bargain for a larger one or change jobs. Hard nosed? Perhaps? So be it!
I think if he's a CDL truck driver, he's making a decent salary already, so no tip necessary. Unless, perhaps, you're wealthy. Then a tip may be in order. At least offer the guy a Coke or a bottle of water, but usually they turn refreshments down politely.
-

A CDL truck driver???? Just what the hell does that mean? A person that drives a school bus, limo, taxi all have to have a CDL license. Having a CDL license and driving a truck don't mean you automatically make "a decent salary".

I can tell you never ran into a real freight man. They have the power to send your stuff to Cleveland if they want to. And do all sorts of things to hold up your business, freight, and heartbeat.
I used to love running into your types. I was a Teamster, and knew 98 ways to make your shit disappear for long periods of time.
Steve
wrote

AMEN and well said! Right along with your other post! Been there, done that, got the tee shirts, and an award!!

And some people wonder why the union has such a bad reputation. Teamsters DO NOT have a monopoly on having the ability to screw a customer. Most every one and every business knows how to screw his customer, however the ones with any sense at all realize that the customer is the one that you actually want to please.

I have found out some things from dealing with the public.
Most people are good honest people.
Most people appreciate good hard work and effort.
Some people are angry at the world, and no matter what you do, they will be mad at you.
Some people cannot be satisfied because of their anger.
Some people just cannot be satisfied no matter what you do.
Some people are dishonest and take great delight at screwing over others.
You cannot please some customers. That guy that said, "The customer is always right" was full of it.
Steve

As have I.

Correct
Correct
Correct
Correct
Correct
Correct
Correct
That guy that said, "The customer is

Not really. The customer is always correct if you want to keep him as a customer. Some times you have to just swallow you pride and get past it. The customer is always correct is a state of mind not a reality.

When a company does screw up (it happens) and it effects the customer, the worker from the company who is now dealing with the customer, even if not directly responsible for the error, should at least apologize to the customer before attempting to resolve the problem. In all of my years dealing with companies and working for companies and with customers, I have noticed that customers get real pissed off real fast unless they get an apology. Sometimes, arrogant employees refuse to say "sorry" to the customer, so the customer stays pissed off, and the situation further escalates into bigger problems: legal problems, cancelled contracts, etc.. So as representatives of our companies (and we who work for co's are), regardless if we directly caused the error, we need to at least apologize to the customer. To acknowledge the fact that the customer has been inconvenienced usually is enough to satisfy the customer and keep them coming back to your co..
-
I heard and remembered an explanation from a boss years ago: "The customer may not always be right, but, he is always the customer."
John
--
"grappletech" < snipped-for-privacy@removenowhere.biz> wrote in
message news:1155142448 snipped-for-privacy@sp6iad.superfeed.net...

Smart guy.

Yup. And when they become a royal PITA, the profit must be weighed against the aggravation. Sometimes it is actually financially advisable to cease doing business with some people. I was in specialty fabrication, and turned down more than one customer. I usually found that the customer that replaced them was better. My Tylenol and PeptoBismol cost surely went down.
Steve
On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 08:48:32 -0700, Steve B wrote:

Maybe the customer isn't always right, but he's always the customer. If the money doesn't leave his pocket it never arrives in mine.

I know some girls who have that same attitude. And they will do whatever it takes to make that happen. I won't.
Steve
On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 05:47:34 GMT, "Leon"

Yeah... Kinda makes me want to avoid any deliveries. Union or no, you're paid to deliver things. So do your job. Nobody wants to pay a couple hundred bucks to have something delivered so that you can walk around with a stick up your ass because you wanted more than you got.
Steve B wrote:

OK, tell us _one_ way for a truck driver to "make your shit disappear for long periods of time" without having anybody ask how it got off the truck between loading and delivery.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Uh, signing it off as delivered, and dropping it in the river? Marking it "refused - return to sender" and scribbling a signature? Marking "unloading dock closed" - "return to terminal"? Spilling a can of oil on it, and marking "hazardous material leaking from crate"?
Need I go on?
Every company has rules regarding handling and delivery. Any good freight man knows how to hurt a "customer" who is a PITA.
Steve
Steve
Steve B wrote:

And how do you explain why the signature doesn't match the customer's?

Ditto.
And when it gets back to the terminal then what do you say to your boss when the irate customer who has been standing on the loading dock all day waiting for the shipment complains about it?

And of course you are qualified to determine that the material is hazardous.

What I'm seeing from you is a list of ways for a driver to find himself out of a job. Sorry, but none of those "make your shit disappear for long periods of time" except the dropping in the river bit and on that one you've committed grand larceny and can look to spend a good long time in jail.

Seems to me that what you're describing doesn't leave the "good freight man" any better off than if he'd just swatted the customer with a two-by-four. In every case it is clear who was in charge of the shipment when it went astray and so it is clear who gets docked/fired/jailed/tossed in the river for it.
By the way, who do you work for, I want to be sure never to hire them.