Are woodcrafts wood prices fair?

Page 2 of 3
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:15:22 -0700, Mark & Juanita

I'm in Phoenix, on the west side.

Does anyone remember the name of the place near the airport? There used to be one down on 35th Ave or so, south of Thomas, but I think they're gone.

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?
RC wrote...

Are you thinking of Woodworkers Source? They're at:
3441 South Palo Verde Tucson, AZ 85715
Around the 42nd St intersection, IIRC.
Jim

Seriously, I know (all too well!) where the Woodworkers Source stores in the Phoenix area are and I try to avoid those neighborhoods when I can. The last time I went to WS was to their new store up on the frontage road by Bell Road. I only spend 2X my budget, but I scored this incredible plank of African Mahogany!
--RC
You can tell a really good idea by the enemies it makes
RC wrote...

Doh! I skipped right past "I'm in Phoenix" part. Pays to read...
Jim

Nope, (in Phoenix),I just checked the Yellow Pages (they even advertise in Tucson -- tells you what Tucson lumber prices are like).
It's American Hardwoods 1401 E Hadley Street 1-888-838-2388
On 30 Nov 2004 09:55:25 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (slindars) wrote:

Woodcraft and HD hardwood prices are high. Woodcraft has a good selection of less popular woods. I'd buy from Woodcraft if I needed a small amount, otherwise I buy rough-sawn kiln dried wood usually at half the cost.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (slindars) wrote in

Being also in Broward, I can say you're not in a real good place, I'm afraid.
Woodcraft varies from pretty good to really expensive. They have sales from time to time that are a good deal.
Constantines is pretty much useless; they cater to folk doing veneering and marketry and mostly sell small/thin stuff.
General Millwork & Hardwood (or General Hardwood & Millwork, I can never remember which way it goes) down behind Lesters Diner will probably be cheaper than either, altho they play it mighty sharp on measuring which I don't like. They'll surface wood for you (probably at a somewhat ungenerous price).
Down in Coral Gables there's Shell's Ace; they have a good selection of S4S which has recently gotten a lot more expensive. Probably still cheaper than Woodcraft, tho. There's also Medley Lumber in (predictably) Medley; their prices are good but they're not really retail, they kind of expect you to buy a couple of hundred BF or more at a time.
Over toward Ft Myers in a little middle of nowhere town called Alva is Alva Hardwoods; their pricing is pretty decent but their location is inconvenient.
And that's about it for down in the pointy end of Florida.
John
Well I went over to Woodcraft last night and bought some wood. This is my first real woodworking project, so I did not want to overboard on the price/bdf. The monthky special was Red Oak @ $3.90 a BDF and that is what I went with. Got 13 BDF for around $48. I think this was a good price.
slindars states:

Don't know where you are, but Steve Wall Lumber is selling Select red oak for $2.60, #1 common for under 2 bucks.
Charlie Self "Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy." Edgar Bergen, (Charlie McCarthy)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in

He's in Ft Lauderdale FL. $3.90/bf is a decent price down here. Ordering from Steve Wall would put it around $3.20 or $3.40/bf after adding in shipping from NC to FL (assuming 100bf shipped truck freight)(plus Woodcraft's stuff is probably S4S, and Steve Wall charges 0.10/bf or something like that for surfacing).
John
John McCoy responds:

You're assuming on the Woodcraft lumber, not a good idea. I bought some directly from the warehouse and from the Parkersburg retail store, and none of it was S4S. It was all S2S.
Jeez, $3.90 is awful. I just checked with a guy I try to go through to get lumber. He pays around $2 a BF for both red and white oak, $1.50 for poplar (and will be bringing me about 160 BF of poplar shortly [when it stops raining long enough for my shop door to be reachable by wheeled vehicles instead of boats and tracked vehicles]; that poplar is about the prettiest I've ever seen, in widths from 10" to 16", flat as a--er, um--board, white, with maybe one knot per 14' length).
Charlie Self "Vote: the instrument and symbol of a freeman's power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country." Ambrose Bierce
Charlie Self wrote:

Grumble. The latest (on-line) price for s4s poplar at the blue borg is about $3.75 a bf. And that is for 1x3x4' stock. You suck. I have put off driving to a couple of local hardwood lumber yards (Peterman and Reel) or "contractor yards" because I'm lazy, it is a bit of a slog and the web sites are rather poor. When I can get rift sawn FAS white oak from Hartzell shipped to the boondocks for a bit over $4 a bf, I'm wondering whether I shouldn't use the oak for drawer sides and the like. Oh and doug fir (select) is cheaper but not by that much ($2.66). Enough whining I guess. Snuffle.
    mahalo (and a barely audible grumble),     jo4hn
jo4hn responds:

$3.75 for POPLAR! That wouldn't be popular poplar around here. It is the dominant tree, and one local lumbering/sawmill operation no longer cuts it because of the price. Can't make any money.
I like $1.50 much better. I don't know what the local borg branches charge any more. They're 30 or more miles away, and the last time I looked, some rather nothing red oak was going for what amounted to a bit over $8 a BF. I had just unloaded a second pick-up (real pick-up, not the S10 I now have) load of green red and white oak mixed...at half a buck a BF. Log run, but what the hell. I can squeeze FAS out of enough of it to beat 8 bucks by a divisor of at least 4, maybe 5.
Just got a bit of a line on what may be nothing more than a rumor, or that may be gone by now: a stash of 50 year old black walnut, chunked up in someone's barn. With my luck, the bugs have done away with it by now.
Anyway, the youngest daughter wants a bookshelf. I saw a few boards in that poplar that have great white/green/black coloring, so I'm going to use a water based poly finish to retain as much color as possible. I'm wonder if all the green and black will go anyway. Tulip poplar has some wondrous greens, blacks and purples when first cut, but usually loses the tints quickly. This stuff, though, is kiln dried to either 6% or 8% already and has been stacked for a few months. So it's worth a try. She doesn't like it, I can always stick it in the office.
Charlie Self "Vote: the instrument and symbol of a freeman's power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country." Ambrose Bierce
On 07 Dec 2004 17:13:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Where YOU are.
Here in CT, <100 bd/ft is $3.25 - $3.60 for S2S Red & White Oak. Qsawn White Oak is $7.25 & up!
Barry
Barry responds:

Ah. Eastern Westchester County. No wonder it's high.
Charlie Self "Vote: the instrument and symbol of a freeman's power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country." Ambrose Bierce
On 07 Dec 2004 22:20:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Right!
The county now stretches almost to Kittery, ME. <G>
Barry
Barry responds:

Jeez, it's a good thing I left when I did...45+ years ago. It was over-priced and over-taxed then, but it wasn't over-all.
Charlie Self "Vote: the instrument and symbol of a freeman's power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country." Ambrose Bierce
On 07 Dec 2004 23:35:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:
... snip

Always thought that Ambrose Bierce was arrogant and elitist; that quote pretty much proves it. Translated: "Y'all ought to let the educated smart folks like me run things and go back to your plows and tools, you uneducated, stupid serfs!"

OK, where are you getting your red and white oak? The woodrack in Branford has 4/4 q-sawn white oak at $5/bd ft. Their red oak is $4 a bd ft for 4/4 and the white is $3.50. The last time I bought wood was at Harris Enterprise in Manchester, I needed poplar which was 2.10/bf. It's a long haul (115 mile round trip) so I wait until I'm ready to buy a bunch before I head out that way. They no longer list their prices on their website though.
Kevin Daly
On 08 Dec 2004 11:34:00 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (Kevin Daly) wrote:

You mean like these?
<http://www.cwghardwoodoutlet.com/products.htm
Harris is usually in the ballpark, and TWR is often a bit higher. I just noticed Harris stopped listing prices. That must have started in the last month or so.
TWR's Qsawn white is now $5.75, so it might be headed to CWG's price. 8^(
Barry