Are woodcrafts wood prices fair?

How are the prices at Woodcraft for lumber? I'm getting ready to buy some wood for my 1st real woodworking project. I will probably use Oak, Maple, etc, nothing fancy. I'll be building a set of TV trays. I've seen the selection at HD for comparison. Since I don't have a full shop and tool selection I might just buy S4S or S2S for now. I'm in Broward County, FL in case anyone has any local recommendations.

Thanks

Reply to
slindars

slindars asks:

Woodcraft prices are going to be lower than those at HD or Lowe's, but they are still on the high side. Go to

and type in your location and the kind of wood you're looking for. You can also check out places like Steve Wall's Lumber--he's in NC, IIRC, but he ships all over and has very reasonable prices and a good rep.

Charlie Self "Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity has made them good." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

Take a look at Constantines on Oakland Park Blvd just west of Dixie Highway in Ft. Lauderdale. There are also a couple of wood dealers in Dade County; one near Hialeah and the other down around the intersection of US1 and 27th Av, if memory serves. Woodfinders that Charlie mentioned should be able to pinpoint them.

Where in Broward do you live? I grew up, went to HS and junior college there, left for 30 years then went back (Hollywood) for four more. I have since relocated to Ormond Beach.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

I think the best answer is "it pays to shop". I've found wood at Woodcraft half the price of what I pay at a couple of lumber yards I go to. I've also found similar lumber that's twice as much as other lumber yards. No real rhyme or reason to it as far as I can see. When I need wood I shop a couple of places and go with best quality for the money. Biggest problem I have buying wood at Woodcraft is my local one has a lousy selection. I don't often buy there, but have recently bought some gorgeous quilted maple that no one else carries locally.

Gary in KC

Reply to
Gary A in KC

Your mileage may vary. I live in Houston, 4th largest city in the US. Woodfinder gave me 8 locations over 180 miles away, one dealer that's large wholesale only, and Rockler, the highest price place in town.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

=============== Yesterday I was in HD buying some electrical stuff and the guy ahead of me in line had perhaps 6 sheet of 2ft x 4 ft of 3/4 inch plywood and about a dozen 6 or 8 foot pieces of s4s red oak...assortment of

1x6's and 1x8's ...

I almost fell over when his bill came to $487 bucks..

Today I am still shaking my head... UNBELIEVABLE !

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Woodcraft is usually on the higher side of fair. If you need 30 bd. ft., look for a better source. If you need a 4' piece, they will cut it for you and hte price is very reasonable for that.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Location is critical for domestic hardwoods. Here in Arizona Woodcraft's prices are in line with our other major hardwood dealer -- Woodworker's Source. Both have local stores and some things are better at one that the other, but generally the prices are pretty much the same.

However even in Florida I'd imagine you could probably do better with a local hardwood supplier. If you were further north you undoubtedly could. Shop around before you buy.

--RC

Exotics, I have no idea.

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Reply to
rcook5

I'm with Ed.

The Woodcraft Ed is probably talking about (Manchester, CT), is probably the same one I shop at, which happens to be about 2 miles from the millwork shop (Harris) I usually buy my lumber at.

Even though Woodcraft is more expensive, if I need something that fits in the car, I'll grab it there and be on my way. The time savings over the millwork shop is worth the 10-15% higher price. Usually the stuff that ends up in Woodcraft's limited stock is good stuff, no junk.

If I need a bunch, it's off to Harris, The Wood Rack, or CWG, a.k.a the hardwood dealers and millwork shops.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Go to

and type in your

It gave me one 24 miles away, and various further distances, including some in VA and I live in NC, the furniture capital of the country if not the world. When I lived near Washington DC, I had several within 15 miles. I still am not happy; NC has to have a bunch of hardwood suppliers.

Steve

Reply to
Steven and Gail Peterson

Woodcraft and HD hardwood prices are high. Woodcraft has a good selection of less popular woods. I'd buy from Woodcraft if I needed a small amount, otherwise I buy rough-sawn kiln dried wood usually at half the cost.

Reply to
Phisherman

Where in AZ are you? In Tucson, both Stewart Lumber (when they have hardwoods) and McEwen (on Toole street) have better prices than either Woodcraft or Woodworkers Source.

In Phoenix, there is a supplier near the airport and Chandler Hardwoods. I think the one near the airport is American Hardwoods (or something like that). I don't know about Chandler hardwoods, but when I corresponded via e-mail with the one near the Phoenix airport, their prices seemed pretty good (for AZ).

... snip

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I'm down in Hollywood. Constatines looks like a good place. I was in there onece but only glanced at the hardwoods. Both are close to work so I'll check them out on my lunch breaks. Thanks

Reply to
slindars

I'm in Phoenix, on the west side.

Does anyone remember the name of the place near the airport? There used to be one down on 35th Ave or so, south of Thomas, but I think they're gone.

--RC

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Reply to
rcook5

Where are these 2? When I'm stocking up I go to Harris (115 mile round trip) so it needs to be a decent amount of wood. I haven't found any decent lumber yards in my area (Seymour). TIA

Kevin Daly

Kevin Daly

The Wood Rack, in Branford:

CWG, in Enfield:

I just found a new one in Middlefield who's not online, and need to get in and check it out. I'm not sure if he's got minimums or allows walk-in service yet.

The Wood Rack is slightly higher priced than Harris or CWG, but less than Woodcraft.

I'm still surprised that there seems to be no hardwood dealers along Rt. 8, from Bridgeport to Torrington, especially up north.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Are you thinking of Woodworkers Source? They're at:

3441 South Palo Verde Tucson, AZ 85715

Around the 42nd St intersection, IIRC.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

For SWMBO's Christmas present last year, a contemporary coffee table of red oak, I spent $400 on lumber, though that includes *mumbles* worth of mistakes.

For her Christmas present this year, a small entertainment center of Cherry (veneer plus locally sawn trim pieces), I'm spending roughly the same amount on lumber. The trim for this piece uses roughly the same amount of cherry as last year's entire project.

Borg charges for red oak 8x what I'm paying for Cherry.

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

I tried woodfinder and I'm guessing that it only lists places that pay them to be listed.. I'm in central Calif. and it lists the closest place as one in Sacramento... 150 miles away! I can't believe that there are no closer hardwood suppliers..

Reply to
mac davis

mac davis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Try these guys, if it's any closer to you. Firends of mine recommend them highly.

The Woodsman, Custom Milling/Drying, 2701-A North Alpine Rd., Stockton,

209-931-3293. Figured hardwoods from the "urban forest" milled and kiln dried on site. Exotics also available.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch