Are we this lazy?

Page 4 of 4

If you actually look at this photo
http://www.blackanddecker.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/BDK/POWER_TOOLS/TOOLS/SMALL/1/ACC100_A1.gif
The wood looks like it first was cut on a TS. Then the guy looks to be strugling to cut a piece of pine with a hand saw. There must be a magical pencil line as I can't see one or he wants to cut it at a random angle. How did our fore fathers manage to cut all of that wood for houses, barns, sheds, etc. without this miracle invention.
Then if you look at this photo
http://www.blackanddecker.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/BDK/POWER_TOOLS/TOOLS/SMALL/1/ACC100_A2.gif
You see that she must have one of the most powerful dust collectors out there as there is zero dust on the clamp, work piece, bench, hands, or sandpaper. And just imagine that it is made by B&D. Who would have thought.
Last looking at this photo and comparing it to the one above.
http://www.blackanddecker.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/BDK/POWER_TOOLS/TOOLS/SMALL/1/ACC100_A3.gif
You see in the background that there is a power sander sitting on the workbench. Also I would love some of that non clogging sand paper she has. I would never have to explain to SWMBO that yes I do have to buy more and no it doesn't last forever.
Allen

I don't know about lazy, but I can think of MANY times I was clamping something with C-clamps and needed a third hand to hold the parts, line up the clamp and twist the screw down. Now if it were made by someone other than B&D! Greg
<...snipped...>

No doubt if you were using one of these clamps, that would be the same time the batteries decided to go dead.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Have you ever tried Irwin Quick-Grip clamps? I'm talking about these <http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/browse.jhtml?catId=IrwinCat100026 .
I needed something to hold some pieces in place a while back, didn't need precision, didn't need much force, just needed to hold them more or less in place for a few minutes, and none of the clamps that I had that were long enough to do the job would fit in the space available (one of those deals where you reach a point that "if that %^&* thing falls on my head _one_ more time . . ." ). Went down to Home Depot to look for something that would hold them and saw a four-pack of Mini Quick-Grips for something like 30 bucks--on the basis that they'd do _that_ job and one can never have too many clamps, even lousy ones, I went with those rather than plan A, which was carpet tape. Turns out they actually work--they're not a substitute for Bessey Ks but they're darned handy, mainly because they can be used one-handed and exert a reasonable amount of clamping force. I'll usually grab one of those instead of a small handscrew to hold a stop block or the like now that I have them. Ended up going back and getting another pack of them.

Those are great! I have a pair of those, and for the type of application you just described, they're perfect.
--
Regards,
"Doug Miller" wrote

i use them too. Had a friend with a massage office who bought a big, (expensive) infared lamp made in china. It has some strange connector that I could not replace that kept coming apart. It was essential for the function of the lamp. I looked at it closely and determined if I could keep some external pressure on it, it would work just fine.
So, just like Mr Clark, I spotted these clamps at Lowes and bought some. They were perfect for the application and their trendy styling fit right into a massage facility. The big lamp is shiny white and most people think that the clamp is original equipment and that it is a part of the lamp. The most popular perception is that it is an adjustment lever of some kind.
The lamp is about $400 and the clamp was about $8. So for $8 and a little reclamping now and then, everything works just fine.

I have a few clamps like them, but sometimes I need the clearance that a c-clamp has. Mind you I am not buying any B&D clamps! Greg

I'll not be using the cord on my Recip saw any more. I can make it saw with out the motor. ;~)
On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 13:01:46 +0000, Leon wrote:

If you retrofit a crank, might be able to do the same with a router.
Bill
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

these when he was trying to do one-handed woodworking after his stroke.
Doubt the B&D brass had that market in mind, though.

Don't know if I'd go quite as far as something like this, but there have been a few time I'd give up a body part to do without the crossbar to tighten a clamp in a tight spot...