Are we this lazy?

Page 2 of 4

Lots of inspiration here: http://www.techno-isel.com/tech_linear.htm
Good site, looks like. However, I have been collecting that kind of stuff for several years. I just need to see how the thing goes together or functions a little closer to build one. I do appreciate the site link. Respectfully, Ron Moore

"Ron Moore" wrote in message

Is your e-mail good and can you receive attachments? I'll be glad to take pictures for you, from all angles, of the beast.
Just say the word.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

The return address is correct or send to ron at mlogical.com. Thanks for the help. Ron Don't know what happened to the first try I sent???

Ron,
Sorry if this doesn't apply, as I only caught part of this thread and believe that you are talking about a Multi-router. If so, then the following link may be of interest.
http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=powertools&file=articles_110.shtml
The original website is at www.woodisourart.com and is shown under "The Shop".
Hope this helps.
Peter.

RayV wrote:

It's not a matter of whether the product is needed or not. Women everywhere in search of Christmas presents will buy them for their men. You'll be lucky if you don't get one yourself! What a clever bunch of marketers. They can create a "need" out of thin air. Aren't they the folks that brought us the electric retractable tape measure?
But then, I'm not exactly a forward thinker. I thought the electric can opener was a frivolity. The first remote controlled TV seemed pretty useless too; but back then I could remember what was on the ONE other channel. When I first heard about this new thing called electronic mail, a techno-geek excitedly told me we would have to check it several times a day to keep up with it. My response was, that if anybody wanted a response from me in less than a day, they could call me on the phone. Now, I check my email at work several times an hour. My folks were 75 when I installed a garage door opener over their objections that it really wasn't too much trouble to get out and raise the door.
So, maybe this electric clamp fills a need we just haven't discovered yet.
DonkeyHody "We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore." - Mark Twain
"DonkeyHody" wrote

When I saw that electric tape measure, I howled and laughed at it. I ridiculed it. My lovley bride, in her own little world of woman logic, thought this was a good sign. So she bought me one for christmas.
I was dumbfounded. I asked her if she realized that this was a piece of fluff in a world of real tools. She said that she knew that I did not really need it. But since I reacted so strongly to the commercial, she though it would be "cute" is she got it for me!!
Whatever happened to gift certificates?
<grumble, grumble, bitch, bitch>

I think that was the same year I got the laser level for hanging pictures. The laser line is straight as a string - and it works great . . . if you set it atop a real level so you don't have to depend on that microscopic little bubble they provided. Of course then you don't have a free hand to mark with anyway, so I leave the laser device on the shelf and use a level like I always did.
DonkeyHody "If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"

Funnily enough I posted last year on that very tape measure. I thought it was downright ridiculous. What did my admin at work get me that year? Yup. Still sitting in the garage in it's packaging. She'll probably get me one of their "Battery Powered" crescent wrenches this year.....I can't wait. Cheers, cc
DonkeyHody wrote:

Wonderful. Now half the guys in the USA are going to have ONE clamp on Christmas morning which means that the next day they will have to go out and buy ANOTHER one so they have a functional pair. Nobody can have ONE clamp. It's not balanced!
FoggyTown

You know how crowded the stores are right after Christmas with all the returns and everything. You should save yourself the hassle and go ahead and buy one now to beat the rush.
DonkeyHody

Yeah, my Mom at age 83 finally accepted a microwave as a gift. It took a few months but now she uses it every day. I remeber trying to give them one about 15 or 20 eyars ago, my Dad was still alive at the time and recently retired, said, "What do we need that for, we don't need to save any time any more."
BTW, maybe cats were not as smart in Mark Twain's day, but my observation is that he was mistaken in this particular quote.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

I suppose that this could be used for some kind of delicate, one hand glueing operation, MAYBE.
What I thought was funny is that it used 4 AA batteries. How long does this thing last with that anemic power source? You would think, being black and decker and all, that they would have made it compatible with some of their cheapy rechargable battery packs.
But no, they use the same batteries as my wall clock. Maybe they thought nobody was actually going to USE this thing.
I also have to wonder if this thing can even clamp with very much pressure. You probably have to hand tighten the thing when that little motor stops pushing.
I think I can manage without it.

If it fits on a brake caliper and has enough push to to flush the piston back, I'll buy one in a flash.
Frank
Frank Boettcher wrote:

>http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/Product-Details.aspx?ProductID 251
And force all that dirty fluid back through the sensitive anti-lock braking motor? You better get one of these "in a flash" and suck that dirty fluid out: http://tinyurl.com/ybca4a You'll also need one of these: http://tinyurl.com/yf4ac6
Seriously, this little gadget works great and is a lot easier to manage than a c-clamp. http://tinyurl.com/ybhpm4 You probably have the parts to make one sitting on your bench...

And just why would the fluid be "dirty"?
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Brake fluid absorbs moisture and causes corrosion to the metal parts in the brake system. The oxidized material then breaks loose and becomes suspended in the fluid. These fine particals _may_ damage components especially anti-lock brake motors.
http://ois.nist.gov/nistpubs/technipubs/recent/search.cfm?dbibid72

Well, yes, *if* the system is opened.

And do you suggest, then, that the brake fluid needs to be flushed and replaced every time the pads are changed?
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Right, because that snap on plastic cap will prevent any mositure laden air from entering the brake system that was filled at the factory in zero humidity conditions.

Did you ever try decaf?