are those free woodworking plan sites legit?

hi,
i was looking for some woodworking plans on building a new workbench/table to house my new miter saw and drill press. some of those sites seem a little questionable.
does anyone know which ones are legit and which ones aren't?
thanks!
You can click away at all the plans you want, but if and when they ask for a credit card or some type of money, then THOSE are the "illegitimate" free plan sites. The ones that don't charge you anything are the "legit" ones. Sorry, I couldn't help myself, Ebeneezer. Here's a "legit" one:
http://members.cox.net/messman123/Plan%20Links%20As.htm Tom unclescrooge wrote:

You may get a better answer by giving links to the sites in question.
henry wrote:

you are correct...
here's a couple that i wonder about...
www.woodprojects.com www.woodnet.net
there are others..including one that kept promising free workbench plans but every plan i found took you to a page where your options were anything but free.
i then remembered the rules of the net...don't believe everything you read and there is no such thing as free...and so i thought i'd come in here and ask folks who actually know what they are doing (or at least pretend to...ha!) [that was a feeble attempt at humor]
thanks all!
The first link has a rather long list of truly free plans. You just have to look for it. My first stop was their FAQ page that had a link directly to their plans page (first question). The second link offers plans through Plans Now. They are pay plans but are not at all expensive. I have downloaded several from these people. They are worth the money.

That's also part of the problem. I've researched and downloaded free software/shareware for many years now, and althought there is still a grain of truth, the real up-front declaration of "Free stuff" has pretty well gone the way of the dinosaur. Sure, you can still find it, but the effort often outweighs the results. Just as some think that mentioning "wood" allows them to talk about anything but, the word "free" now usually means "free download", but not of free material. Everything has a gimmick. Well, almost everything there is always the odd exception that some use to point at and say, "Hah! I was right."
There are lots of similar pages like what you listed that are free if you pay some $.Is there a project that youre looking for?I built a lowboy from plans found at my library through a interloan program with another library.My library also has back issues of FWW.

You're right about that, what I hate most about some sites is that they're nothing but teases. Look at this plan! *click* Pay $29.99 to look at this plan!
Shareware is not freeware, never has, never will be... yet sites insist on including both.
Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

This one appears to be on the up and up and is pretty good
http://www.freeww.com /
Damian
unclescrooge wrote:

On 05/06/2006 12:53 AM, unclescrooge wrote:

http://groups.google.com/groups?&as_ugroup=rec.woodworking&as_uauthors=joat
Tue, Jun 6, 2006, 2:04pm snipped-for-privacy@ist.uwaterloo.ca (DougPayne) did posteth: http://groups.google.com/groups?&as_ugroup=rec.woodworking&as_uauthors=joat
Gods above, I'm an urban legent!
JOAT Never confuse "Oh, I can't do this!" with "Oh, I've never done this!". - JOAT
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) writes:

heh... well, you *were* the one that started me doing this: http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~flip/plans.html
I emailed you years ago saying you should do a page... you said you didn't want to, so i did it instead. At first it was a collection of mostly your posts... but i've gathered links from all over since.
I don't claim that it's pretty or refined... but there are a fair bit of links there.
Hope folks find some use in it.
--
May no harm befall you,
flip