Are There Any Galoots Still Around?

Page 1 of 3
Just wondering.
charlieb wrote,on my timestamp of 9/03/2009 4:10 PM:

Yup. Present.
Noons makes ONE.
More still around here?

Count me as #two.
I actually have red Galoot cap No 39.
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron
Jeff Gorman wrote:

I have old #7.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I'm not one yet but working on it.
just got this last night http://store.taunton.com/onlinestore/item/working-with-handplanes-070810.html

WIA in Berea provided a good answer to the question in general. If you mean "around here" (rec), I have to ask what qualifies as a galoot. Some people think they are a galoot if they use a chisel to square up the corners of a routed mortise, while some think you need to process felled timbers with a pit saw. I'm somewhere in between. <g> My "galootness"
Stock prep: machine, followed by shooting board and hand planing for precision work. (And some hand work to aid the machines, such as cutting to rough length if too long for the table saw, or knocking off high corners of twisted stock with a jack plane)
Joinery: Edge gluing: power jointer followed by #8 M&T: mixed; hand for few "one-offs", machine for multiple. DT: hand (or band saw for large DT in heavy stock) Sliding DT, dado: machine
Final surfaces: hand-planing.
In general: Machines for heavy, rough, or sweat-inducing work, hand tools for precision or fine work.
Caveat: As a hobbyist, I do what I WANT to do, not what makes sense efficiency-wise. I suspect a pro would do many of the things I do differently.

And one other thing: I am NOT trying to figure out how to convert my lathe to a spring-pole mechanism. Is that disqualifying? ;-)

Mindset is there. just waiting for a little aging.
jc (wondering what, exactly, the min age req. is)
charlieb wrote:

Whenever I fire up the barbecue (fueled with hardwood cutoffs, of course) I always use plane shavings from my type 11 Baileys to get it started.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Very new to this.In my country (Israel),hand tools are hard to find,actualy,next to impossible.Any good links to help me btw?
charlieb wrote:

Used to see a car with the license plate "galoot" around JPL in the old days of gainful employment. Paddy, was that you?
Personally, I've been a wRECker for 10 or 15 years and do use hand tools a bit now and again. Guess I am a neandernorm.     creeeeeeaaaaakkk,     jo4hn
To clarify, galootness seems to be attitudinal and not a function of TOP-AG (Time On Planet- Above Ground)
And speaking of O'Deen/Paddy, wonder where Dave Fleming (the Nautical), or Conan The Librarian, or Jummywood Jim have gone?
As for sources of hand tools - hopefully available to folks in Isreal
Lee Valley (Canada) http://www.leevalley.com/wood/index.aspx?c Patrick Leech http://www.supertool.com /
For the budding Galoots who haven't visited Jeff's website GO HERE - NOW! ( THE role model for gentleman galoots) http://www.amgron.clara.net /
I'm recalling a poem about Lord Nelson that has a line the goes something like
Hang my drum on the old sea wall and should England need me beat the drum and I shall come even from the depths of the sea where I now lay.
Boom! Boom! Boom!

Ah, well then, present and accounted for.
jc
charlieb wrote:

Jums is back. He is jimmymac now. Probably hiding out as a member of the Brazos River Band. He plays the organ or the flute. Can't remember which.     :-)     j4

Thanks for the kind words and recommendation.
I ought to apologise and say that at present it is but a shadow of its former self.
Jeff
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron
Ground)

And Steve LaMantia?
Jeff
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron
On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 08:29:37 -0000, "Jeff Gorman"

I had a correspondence with Steve in 2002 (still well after being MIA here). He had moved to the Orlando, FL, area and was working with his cousin's rock band. He had run across my website (the woodbutcher one) and kindly remembered me from his wreck days.
No idea if he's still there (here--the place he mentioned is less than 50 miles from my house).
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Charlie - Jummy is still around, just not posting a lot. He's popped up a few times lately(hint - he's found something new. Redwood!)
Norm

Not aware of the Nelson poem, but there was a similar one about Drake, some of the lines of which are:
Take my drum to England Hang it by the shore Strike it when your powder's running low And if the Dons sight Devon We'll quit the port of Heaven And drum 'em up the Channel as we drummed 'em long ago
Drake he was a Devon man He sailed the Seven Seas Captain, art thou sleepin' there below....
..... as recalled from many hours spent in a New York pub named Drake's Drum, about 40 years ago. Yes, I know I could Google it, but I'll leave that to you. Goosing the memory cells is my way of arresting the slide into senility.
John Martin