are the standard delta 14" bandsaws good tools?

I'm looking for a Xmas purchase. I saw the Delta Extreme 14 bandsaw for 899.00

and theres the delta standard 14" for like 499.00

I'd rather buy the cheaper one and a dewalt 734 surface planer but I don't want to buy it if its junk.

Reply to
Modat22

I am far from an expert on bandsaws, but about a year ago, I upgraded from a 12 inch Craftsman to a used (as in the almost-Delta blue) Jet 14" in pristine condition with mobile base, fence, guide and

3 speed pulley system for $275. I'm tickled to death with the thing. The only change have done is to swap out the blade.

This is similar to the Delta standard you are looking at. Don't know how much more the Extreme will give you over the standard for an additional $400. In my case a bigger motor would be nice, but I can add that when I really need it. So far I've managed to avoid prying open the wallet for it, but I will when the true need arises.

YMMV. Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

For $899.00 run to the nearest Woodcraft store and buy the 18" Rikon It has been the top tool in several Magazine tests

Reply to
wood addict

That's the thing, if the 499.00 saw will work well I'd rather buy that and a surface planer. If I spend 899.00 on the bandsaw I won't be able to afford the planer till next Christmas.

Reply to
Modat22

How does the standard saw differ from the extreme version?

: type of guides? : open/closed base? : motor HP? : included accessories?

I suppose I could look this up myself, but I've got this ditty coursing thru my noggin' (HBDTM. HBDTM. HBDDM. HBDTM.) I'm feeling pretty lazy today. If you'll look these items up and repost the list plus think about what uses you want for the band saw (roughing turning blanks, resawing planks, scroll-type work, etc.) then you'll get a lot more feedback and pros/cons.

BTW, I have the "limited edition" that cost a similar price.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

delta x version

Features:

Five year limited warranty on machines, parts and accessories

1-1/2HP motor with enclosed stand and guarded drip proof motor Push button switch, chip chute, blade and belt guards Arbor and motor pulleys and V-belt, blade guides Platinum Pro band saw blade, quick release blade tension lever, integrated 4" dust port, with Free Mobile Base (for a Limited Time)

Standard version

Features:

2 year limited warranty on machines, parts, and accessories 1-horsepower induction motor provides cool, quiet power Quick-release tension lever 9 spoke computer balanced wheels eliminate vibration under load Blade moves at 3,000 surface feet per minute for efficient cutting
Reply to
Modat22

I'm a big fan of the Delta bandsaw, but for my money I'd save it and go with the standard model which is very good. Unless:

  1. You really need that 1/2 hp extra for heavy resawing. But even then you might as well scrounge around for a good used 2hp motor for more oomph. But for most resawing as long as you don't feed stock too fast the 1hp motor will be fine.

  1. You have a small space and could use the "free for a limited time" mobile base.

But, both of these are *not* enough for me to spend the extra money for them. With the money you save you can make your own, probably more efficient dust port (attach a magnet to a 4" hose and stick it as close as you can get to the lower guides ala Steve Knight); replace the blade with a better one from Timberwolf, Olson or Highland Hardware; get a link belt; get better blade guides from Carter, Cool Blocks or Bandrollers; get or make a tire brush, etc etc......*and* still have money left over to get the Dewalt planer.

Layne

Reply to
Layne

I forgot to mention...you will love the micrometer guides adjustments...especially for the lower guides. Yes, Jet is cheaper, but they don't include this handy feature...and if they did they'd probably cost just as much as Delta.

ducking.... Layne spoiled for micrometer guide adjusters

Reply to
Layne

Also, check out the reviews at Amazon.com

For the standard BS:

the X5:

Layne