Are The Black Walnut Trees I Have Worth Anything?

I've heard all of the rumors, but need to know, from a reliable source. I have 4 trees, that I want to remove, all in excellent shape. 3 are 8-10 in diameter, 1 is 20-24. I don't want to do it myself. Thanks, for any and all help. Live in SW Michigan.
A decade ago my grandmother, who lived near Traverse City, MI, went to visit her sister in another state for Christmas. When she left... the 80 year old black walnut tree in front of her house was still living. When she returned it was gone. The state police informed her that over 20 prime black walnuts had been stolen during the winter from her area. The police assured her that the tree was probably on its way overseas where it would fetched 5K +. The thieves did a great job cutting the tree down leaving only an inch stump. Nice and flat too.
snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

You would have to contact a copmany in your area (arborist, tree service) to know for sure but I would say you would have a hard time finding anyone that will _pay you_ to cut these trees or even to come in and cut them for the wood. You may get lucky and find someone who would offset some of the tab for the logs but that can be very tough to find also
If the 20-24 is actually in "great shape" it may be worth a little bit but my guess would be it wouldnt even cover what a tree service would charge you to cut them and haul them to the log yard. Walnut has a good bit of sapwood so the smaller three trees wouldnt be worth anything.
Just for instance, if the larger tree produced a 30' dead straight log, clean, with no limbs this may scale out to 300bd'+/- depending on what scale the log yard uses and their particular scaling practices. Getting a dollar a foot for walnut logs (around here, midatlantic region) would be doing well. This of course can be much higher or drastically lower depending on quality, grading, and the particular log yard its brought to.
Perhaps if you had a way to haul these three logs to a log yard you could recoup some of your cost of felling them but that may be more than you want to tackle. Other options may be to look into contacting some local owners of portable band mills and offer them the trees for free in exchange for getting them off the property. This would probably be a great option if they are in an open area and easy to cut. If they are near dwellings, powerlines, and so on, it may not be a possiblity and I would surely ask for proof of insurance from whoever cuts them.
Good Luck, Mark
I've heard all of the rumors, but need to know, from a reliable source. I have 4 trees, that I want to remove, all in excellent shape. 3 are 8-10 in diameter, 1 is 20-24. I don't want to do it myself. Thanks, for any and all help. Live in SW Michigan.
snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

Practically speaking, the 10" trees aren't worth the effort and loss in cutting them. The sap wood accounts for about 2" or more of the diameter and then you're left with the unusable pith area of an inch or so - that only leaves 3.5" on each side of the pith.
The 24" tree is more reasonable and usable, but not quite "there" yet as far as valuable Walnut is concerned. This one needs another foot of diameter to really become something. Here in Oregon there are several 4' diameter yard trees I'd love to have - and am keeping a keen eye on any activity around them that looks to be on the order of removing them.
I hope you don't take my comments as a go-ahead to cut them down due to worthlessness. Consider them as you would any asset with an appreciating future value greater than today's. I would certainly like these trees growing in my own property.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

In the meantime, black walnuts are really tasty. Getting them out of the shell is quite a chore but with a reward that justifies the effort.
-
FF
I never cut a tree unless I have to. There are a couple of reasons why: 1) there is a lot of nice wood out there and there is plenty ready to buy (for a price) that you can look at and choose the best of the best. When you mill you own, you get what get; occulsions, knots, pock marks, unexpected sap lines, hidden problems from old damage, etc. and 2) I like trees. I live in a neighborhood, and the more trees the better. I love a grand old hardwood tree, and the only way they get to be grand and old is to be left alone.
If you HAVE to cut these trees down, try getting a good chainsaw and cutting the small stuff into bowl blanks for all of us wood turners. Sap wood, defects and all manner of problems are considered "the good stuff" by us turners. Sealed on the ends, we buy it green!
Also, with the saw you may be able to the trees into manageable sizes you could take to a sawyer.
Robert
On 16 Oct 2005 17:33:58 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Just run them over with the car while green, wear rubber gloves though when removing the husks.
Mark
Markem (sixoneeight) wrote:

That works because the shells are too hard a strong to be crushed by the tires.
--

FF

If the log is peeled or sliced, rather than sawn into lumber, it's worth a lot. Whether it was always a "yard" tree with all the knife-damaging things yard trees tend to accumulate may eliminate the first seven feet from contention.
If you're in MI, contact your extension agent and have the forester look at your trees.
I assume he's measuring it on the base. Not exactly veneer material.
What rumors? Tom

Let those grow for another decade or two.

If it's straight, and problem free (not a yard tree, no metal) that could have enough market value to pay an arborist to take it down. If it's exceptional, you could turn a nice profit.
Maybe you could post on the craigslist.com site for your area?
On 16 Oct 2005 16:37:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

Still too small. A turner woud like them rather than using them as firewood, but they're just not big enough to be worth anything commercially as yet.
Trees are worthless, timber is valuable. Even at the price of walnut timber, those just won't yield usefully sized boards.
Thanks, for all of the answers. I have to remove these trees, I hate to, but have to, because of their locations. When they were planted, by the homes original owner, there was no consideration given to their future growth.
snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

How are the trees situated on your property? In other words, are they anywhere near a house/powerline/neighbor's property line, etc? I guess what I'm getting at is that I, too, live in SW Michigan, and if dropping these trees could be done safely by a TOTALLY INEXPERIENCED person, one with NO insurance, bonding, license, etc., then I might be able to help out for the wood.
However, if there is ANY chance that these trees could fall on anything, then I would have to politely bow out.
If by that you mean that they are hanging over the neighbor's garage and have power lines running through them, you will be paying a hefty sum for removal regardless of the value of the trees. Just so you're not too shocked.
On 17 Oct 2005 19:23:22 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

Actually you might find an Arborist who has a large tree spade and move them to a better location on your lot.
Mark