Are spiral cutters really worth the price?

http://www.byrdtool.com /
" Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"
<GG>
Interesting. I wasn't quite so blown away when I saw spiral cutterheads in action. Curly maple just doesn't seem to tear out when my knives are sufficiently sharp, either. Go figure.
Brian.

brian_and snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (brian lanning) writes:

FYI I've had the spiral head G0543 (8") on backorder since March, and the current ETA is September :-(
Eyeballing is about all you can do with them at the moment.
This worried me also:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?ItemNumber=H2334&&DID=6
Why are they an "outlet item" in limited quanities? Does this mean that they just don't like to stock a lot of them? Or are they about to disconinue the spiral cutter heads?
brian
(brian lanning) writes:

brian_and snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (brian lanning) writes:

That's not the cutter the G0543 uses, though. Maybe they're for a previous model? The spiral head cutters are new, and they've been increasing the number of models with them over the years (you can get a 6" spiral jointer now too).
In fact, the G9961 calls for H5307 cutters in the 2004 catalog, not the H2334 you link to. I suspect they've just been upgraded.
As for the 8" spiral jointer, the folks at Grizzly say they haven't even started getting them in yet, so I doubt they'll be discontinuing them yet ;-)

I guess you're right. "Honny, I'm sorry, we have to get the 12" jointer!"
brian
brian_and snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (brian lanning) writes:

I admit I drooled over the 12" jointer for a while. I can barely justify the 8" jointer :-P