Are router bits created equally?

Page 2 of 2

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Well, I don't know that I'd go so far as to say it's garbage. Vermont American certainly isn't in the top tier of tool manufacturers, quality-wise, but their stuff isn't exactly junk either.
Note, though, that it's high-speed steel. Not carbide. As HSS bits go, Vermont American is halfway decent... but good HSS bits don't cut as cleanly, nor last nearly as long, as good carbide bits do. For limited use in softwoods, this will probably do fine. For repeated or extended use in softwoods, or *any* use in hardwoods, you're better off with a carbide bit.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

the link I opened shows a carbide bit at the top of the page... You and Ed mentioned HSS. We must be looking at 2 different items.
Dave

Yes, we are. The post which *I* responded to references a high-speed steel bit. The post *you* initially responded to references a carbide bit.
--
Regards,