Are router bits created equally?

Should I pay more for Porter Cable or Bosch router bits? Or should I just get the Ryobi ones? What about "off brands"? I cannot find a

1/8" bit straight (1/4" shank) cut anywhere that is not in one of the "higher" priced ones, except in the off brands on Ebay or Harbor Freight. Thanks.
Reply to
needin4mation

bridger

Can't say about Bosch, but PC bits are worth lots more than theoff brand ones. Whiteside is better still. Jim

Reply to
Jim

More than what? Maybe, yes, but you can do better.

No

What do you consider off brand?

I cannot find a

Look here

Whiteside, Amana, and a half dozen others that escape me at the moment are top quality professional grade. Avoid the lowest bidder on things that spin 22,000 rpm.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Check out:

have a lot of decent bits for the beginner. I have used them for 15+ years. Still "beginning" I guess!

Lou

PS: Get the 1/2 shanks at no extra cost.

Reply to
loutent

Reply to
C & M

Until they prove they don't deserve it, CMT will continue to get my business.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1124574751.528664.124620 @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I'd avoid the off brands and Harbor Freight stuff. I've personally used and been pleased with Amana, CMT, and Whiteside.

I've heard people here recommend

Nate Perkins

So something like this is garbage?

needin4mation

I like this company. Good prices. Is Cal-Hawk garbage? I found a cheap bit for $2.25 on ebay:

needin4mation

The axiom "you get what you pay for" holds up well when it comes to router bits.

Dave

Reply to
David

That seems a fair inference.

Dave

Reply to
David

Now understand I know nothing of what I am asking, but what could go wrong here? It's a carbide tipped piece of metal. I am not doubting you at all. I'd just like to understand. Thanks.

Reply to
needin4mation

there's more to it than just that it's made of carbide! I've got some really crappy carbide bits. and I have so long lasting, balanced, well designed bits that are a pleasure to use. And all carbide is NOT the same. Think ice cream or peanut butter. Ever thought that ALL ice cream or peanut butter is the same?? No way! A company that puts out pricey yet superior bits doesn't fold it's tent and go bankrupt because there are cheapy bits on the market. Discerning woodworkers know that the expensive bit is worth the extra bucks; otherwise how do you think Amana, CMT, et all stay in business? Maybe YOU don't want to use the better brands, BUT THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. If you can't tell, content yourself with the junky ones.

Dave

Reply to
David

certainly isn't in the top tier of tool manufacturers, quality-wise, but their stuff isn't exactly junk either.

Note, though, that it's high-speed steel. Not carbide. As HSS bits go, Vermont American is halfway decent... but good HSS bits don't cut as cleanly, nor last nearly as long, as good carbide bits do. For limited use in softwoods, this will probably do fine. For repeated or extended use in softwoods, or *any* use in hardwoods, you're better off with a carbide bit.

Reply to
Doug Miller

The one shown is not carbide, it is high speed steel. It wears faster than carbide. Yes, you may get a cut if you want a 3" slot, but it may start to burn shortly after. Better bits of that size are solid carbide, not HSS. Check out the bits at

You'll be on your third or fourth bit. gouging up the wood, burning it, and I'll still be making smooth cuts.

Next lesson: Types of carbide. Yes there are different grades.

There are many other design factors that also come into play. The amount of metal, types of welds, and on and on.

Let's say you have $50 in wood and 10 hours in time to get your project to a certain state. The final step is to cut a 1/8" groove with your router. Yes, this is going to be very visible, very critical. What bit should you use? Just something to think about.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

the bit in the link he provided says it's carbide. the one at the top of the page.

Dave

Reply to
David

the link I opened shows a carbide bit at the top of the page... You and Ed mentioned HSS. We must be looking at 2 different items.

Dave

Reply to
David

Thanks. Very informative as your other post. I have narrowed to your inifinitytools.com site and this one:

are almost the same price.

Reply to
needin4mation

Yes, we are. The post which *I* responded to references a high-speed steel bit. The post *you* initially responded to references a carbide bit.

Reply to
Doug Miller