Are Panasonic drills THAT good

Page 2 of 2

Same here, had the 9.6 DW for maybe 6-7 years, battery rebuild once, finally gave up the ghost. Got a Panasonic 12v as a gift and am very much liking it. Seems less weight than the DW ... but have two gripes. It's harder to change drill bits due to it's higher power, and no bit holder. Will definitely get the magnets to solve the last problem.

If you are only driving screws, I would recommend the Makita 18 volt impact driver. It doesn't weigh any more than my Ridgid 12V cordless drill.
It has lithium-ion batteries. If you really want to slim down weight, I noticed that Home Depot has a new version of the Makita impact driver with a smaller LI battery. I have the one with the larger battery.
The price is higher, but I think it is worth it.
Brian Elfert

While 18V is usually overkill for most woodworking, I'd never go so low as a 9.6V driver, that's just too little power. What I usually use is my 14V Hitachi and it works like a charm, I've got 3 batteries, one on the drill, one in the charger and one charged and ready to go and I'm never out of power.

I bought its predecessor, the EY6105 a couple of years ago. Works well, and battery charging is very fast. Min has lower battery capacity (1.2Ah), but it has been adequate for me, particularly given how quickly the charger brings them back. Only gripe for me is how quickly the batteries drain down when not in use, either in the drill or not.

I have the 15.6V (3.5ah) Panasonic and love it. It is lighter than my 18V that died and battary charge lasts muuuch longer. It was rated best in the WW magazines a year or so ago so I gave it a try. I would buy again in a heartbeat.
Daryl