Are MLCS or Katana router bits on a par with Amana, CMT, Bosch...?

Recently received a catalog from MLCS. There's some bits I'm considering purchasing from MLCS that I don't believe are available in my usual brands (CMT, Freud, and Bosch).

I've had bad luck with Woodline and Viper.

Dave

Reply to
David

For occasional use I would say they are OK. I would not compare them to those you mentioned for average to heavy use. If I needed a special "I need to use the bit 1 or 2 times" I would go with the Kantana if it was cheaper, which I believe it would be.

Reply to
Leon

I started my collection with the MLCS 15-piece set. I've been very happy with it - cuts are smooth, no complaints except a broken 1/4" straight bit. I was making a 3/8" deep cut in oak with that bit and it snapped off - called MLCS, and they sent me a new one right away. I've since added a few bits by Amana and Infinity that are heavier and nicer, but I'd agree that MLCS bits are more than sufficient for light use, and their customer service is great. They are FAR better than the chinese-import 50-piece sets for $50 that you see on ebay or at HF or whatever - a friend has a set of those, and there's no comparison. Have fun routing, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Follow up to my previous post - the set I have from MLCS is their standard anniversary kit (gray bits), not the Katana line. Andy

Reply to
Andy

I have had great luck with them. I also own one of their plunge routers 3

1/4 horse I believe which I have mounted in a table with a router razor, works great with no complaints. I would not touch Woodline with a ten foot pole. I remember meeting this guy at a wood show and in one hand he had woodline router bits and in the other Forrest saw blade. I had to stop and ask him of the contrast in quality he was carrying? I said you bought the best blade on the market but the worst router bits. Before he left he brought back the router bits.

Rich

Reply to
evodawg

The Katana bits are higher in cost than the regular MLCS bits. I have a few of the K bits and like them a lot. I think they are equal in quality to the Freud and Bosch bits. I have no experience with CMT bits.

Reply to
Pat

I agree Rich, the Woodline has so far been the most inferior brand of bit I've gotten ahold of. I wouldn't wish them on anyone. they leave ragged edges, and it's hard to push them through the wood. I have one Bosch bit of the same size as one of the Woodlines; it goes through the same wood with about 1/2 the effort and it leaves a much neater edge.

I had 2 Viper bits in a row (purchased over a year apart), that wobbled noticeably. I've since gambled on a third Viper bit, a small core box, which seems so far, to be usable.

For some inexplicable reason, ONE regular poster here has admitted he likes Woodline bits. I can't for the life of me understand that, as he is undoubtedly a more accomplished woodworker than myself. My guess is that he's purchased vastly different bits than the ones I got from Woodline and he owns no other mfgr's identical bits to compare them to.

Dave

Reply to
David

He's probably the owner of Woodline cause that's the only one I know that would give them a passing grade. I met him a couple of times and the guy is a real asshole. I remember being at a wood show and he was insisting his bits where made in the US. This was years ago and I called him on it while he had probably 20 people in front of his cash register. The guy went ballistic and we got into a shouting match. I think now he has to disclose that they are made in China. But this guy is the biggest self absorbed asshole I have ever met.

Reply to
evodawg

I have bought a lot of MLCS bits and they have been adequate with no defects. I also buy the Katana which are obvously (to me) a much higher quality bit and seem to equal or exceed the amana and other high end bits I have purchased. I think MLCS has great customer service and they have stood by their warrantly better than anybody for me.

MBR

Reply to
gadgetman