Are Harbor Freight sanding discs any good?

Are the Harbor Freight 12" sanding discs any good or will they wear down in 1/3 the time of a more expensive disc?

I'll buy them if they are any good or else I'll probably just order from Klingspor.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Nope. They are fine if you buy 3 times as many and don't mind changing them

3 times as often.

Dave

ANSTAAFL

TeamCasa

Reply to
John DeBoo

Unless they are radically different from their other sandpaper-like stuff the abrasive is only held to the paper by static cling and the first hint of use turns it into plain paper sans-sand.

Just my experience, YMMV

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

I buy 6" random orbit disks from harbor freight. I also buy the purple

3m ones. when I'm sanding something that is likely to clog up the paper, I use the cheap stuff. when I'm sanding hardwoods, I use the good stuff. works for me...
Reply to
bridger

My experience is you'll be lucky if you get them to last 1/3 as long as real sanding disks. Every single abrasive I've ever bought from HF has been crap.

--RC

Reply to
Rick Cook

Don't bother with their paint brushes either, the foam ones too, even if they are very inexpensive.

Thunder

Reply to
Rolling Thunder

No experience with 12", but I use the 9" from HF and they seem to last just as long as the 12" ones that I bought from Shopsmith.. which were a LOT more expensive..

I'm sure that a better quality, more expensive paper would last longer, but I probably use 1 disk for every 2 or 3 belts, so it's just not an issue for me..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

An exception to that might be their "chip brushes", which I've always called Throwaways... I got a box of the 1" size for glue ups, staining, etc... great brushes for the price and ideal for my use...

Like all of their stuff, you get what you pay for..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:39:10 -0700, Rolling Thunder wrote (in article ):

I've had good results with both. Of course the brushes were for painting the corners in the closet and the foam brushes for shop furniture 8^)

If you don't mind shedding bristles and small specks of foam in your finish the price can't be beat. I really like the acid brushes when on sale...

Reply to
Bruce

Reply to
Jim K