Are cast iron wings worth $150??

Okay, you have convinced me to buy a cast iron table saw with an induction motor. I expect to give it normal homeowner use; occasionally building a cabinet of some sort.
The two best buys seem to be a Delta with stamped wings for $450, or a Jet with cast wings for $600; both with 40x27" tables, and apparently otherwise comparable.
I expect the Delta will be plenty good, but hate the idea of spending $450 and then regretting it for years because I bought cheap. (yeah, I know I can always buy the cast wings, but then they are even more expensive.)
thank
I have been looking for a used table, but they are either junk or nearly the price of new.
In a word, NO the cast iron wings are not worth $150 extra. However you probably are not comparing apples to apples here. The Jet may very well have more features than the Delta that you are comparing to. If you only see that difference, get the cheaper Delta and make your own MDF covered by plastic laminate wings and supported by an oak frame and you will have your weight.

Thee is probably more than just the CI wings in the difference of the two. Take a look at the Delta for about $750 with the ci wing and the tableboard and the Biesemeyer fence. Everyone has a maximum on the budget, but to me, the ci wings would be worth the money if you can afford it. Much more solid of a saw, nice flat surface for checking flatness of parts, etc.
Personally, I'd pay more for a better fence than for better wings, but that is me. Heck, just go buy the Unisaw and you don't have to worry about trivia stuff like this. Ed
No, I've taken my cast wings of my Powermatic and built extension wings out of wood and formica.
Wade Lippman wrote:

I think the cast wing left of the blade is definitely worth extra cash.
Usually the area right of the blade is filled in with a particle board and laminate substance that often becomes some sort of router table as well.
If you are looking at a contractor's saw, I'd find something with a GOOD 30" fence on it and a cast left wing.
The Jet with a 30" Biesemeyer clone fence on it would be good. Or a Delta with a 30" Biesemeyer would be good too. Pay the extra to get the cast left wing and a quality fence.
Think of it as a 20 year investment. An extra hundred bucks works out to what? An extra 5 bucks a year for the next 20 years? Definitely not a significant amount of money.
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Just my couple pennies.
Rick

I know the Delta you are talking about. Lowes sells them. for $50 more, you can get a grizzley with cast iron wings. Bet 99% of woodworkers cannot tell the difference between the $500 Grizzley & the $600 Jet. Buy the Griz, and take the saved $100 & get a good dado set.

You might be right in the past, but Grizzly does not list a $500 saw. Bench top for 395, then it jumps to $645 plus 75 shipping. That brings the Jet & Delta back into contention. Consider shipping cost versus tax also. Ed
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Yeah, they dumped a lot of the lower end stuff recently.
They didn't dump them. Their manufacturer (you know, the same place that probably makes all the tablesaws in the world :-)) stopped making the 1.5 hp motor. Reason was that they couldn't keep up with demand. So, the $645 saw is the one they have. When you saw "lower end", I hope you mean price. Mine is the same, but in 1.5 hp, and with the slotted cast iron wings. Otherwise...it's the same saw. If I had it to do over, I would buy the $645 model. It performs just as good as most of the other over-priced name brands that make contractor saws & sell 'em for more than grizzley. Mine has had a few years of very heavy use, and has stayed in perfect alignment.

I've got a couple of wings from a g1023z at my house in Austin that I'd be willing to part with for less than $150... I don't know what the original poster is looking for since I didn't see that message, but thought I'd offer...
-Michael

I went and looked at the Delta and the Jet table saws. After playing with them in the display area for a little while and then reading the boards, my money for going for a new Jet Contractors Saw. I noticed the distance to the blade was deeper on the Jet allowing me to get the work more supported on the table for one. The stock Jet fence I felt was better, slightly.
Then while watching the paper I found:
10 Jet Contractors saw with 52" Fence $350 obo.
I called the chap up and found out:
the fence was a Vega Utility 52" He had upgraded the motor to 2hp he had built a cabinet under the saw
I took the mere 80 mile drive an hour later to beat the crowd. The saw was in good condition, I also got 7 insert plates, the original Jet Fence, the Vega small stock pusher, a blade I tossed (missing two teeth), he made a router insert in the table, and threw in his made outfeed table for it.
Took me an him and hour to disassebly it enough to get it out the door and into my pickup truck and most of the night to put it back together.
I need to replace the belt (getting a v-link belt) and have ordered a Forrest WoodWorker II blade, that arrives on Friday.
Keep looking, great deals come to those who keep looking.
Alan
Alan W wrote:

I hope there was good story there, like he was trading up for a bigger saw or something, instead of a more depressing reason for him to be getting rid of that.

He had purchased a ShopFox cabinet saw. A reward to himself and his wife, he had built nearly all of the kitchen cabinets (I didn't go look myself) and his wife was quite tickled.
Alan
Alan W wrote:

Well, that's a good ending, and not depressing at all. :)
I gave away a pair to someone on this group in exchange for half a dozen 18" pony clamps.. $150 is highway robbery.
-- mike hide

Does anyone know a good mail order place to buy cast iron wings for a Jet contractor saw? I want to replace my stamped wings. Also, how much do they cost?
Thanx, sl
You might try General Industrial Supply. Their website is www.generalindustrialsupp.com. The wings may not be on the website but they probably have them as they sell refurbished Jet saws.
Good luck